E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General Off-Topic (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Death Race / Worlds Toughest Mudder (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=928478)

RossGuy 06-19-2012 12:09 PM

Death Race / Worlds Toughest Mudder
 
Just Signed up for the 2013 event. Anyone know someone who's done it?

www.youmaydie.com

About


There are millions of running races, thousands of marathons, hundreds of triathlons and dozens of ultramarathons but there is only one Sparan Death Race. Held annually since 2005 in the small town of Pittsfield, VT, the Spartan Death Race gives up to 200 ultra-endurance athletes the chance to test their mental and physical prowess like no other event on earth. On average only 15% of the competitors finish the event. Remarkable when you consider the competitors are among the toughest and most seasoned endurance athletes on earth. The hurdle and challenge-driven race requires competitors to complete a series of (15-20) grueling mental and physical challenges throughout a 40-mile course that runs through the Vermont woods. During the Death Race, competitors may be asked to chop wood for 2-hours, carry a 20-lb stump around for hours, lift 10-30 lbs rocks for 5-hours; build a fire, cut a bushel of onions, crawl through mud under barbed wire, or after 20-hours of racing, memorize the names of the first 10 U.S. Presidents or a Bible verse, hike to the top of a mountain and recite them back in order.

Unlike other endurance races that offer a detailed map, Death Racers have no idea what to expect next as the course map and list of challenges are kept secret. This provides competitors with one of their biggest challenges as the length of the race can range from 24-48 hours. For an endurance athlete, not knowing where the light is at the end of the tunnel can be sheer torture.

For a taste of the Death Race, aspiring endurance athletes are encouraged to test their mettle at the Spartan Race Series. The 30-event series, developed by the creators of the Death Race, offers competitors three different obstacle race courses including: the Spartan Sprint (5K), Super Spartan (8 miles) and Spartan Beats (10+ miles). For a complete schedule visit www.spartanrace.com. For more information on the Death Race, visit www.YouMayDie.com or www.Facebook.com/spartanrace

NOVAbimmer 06-19-2012 12:14 PM

Search for the Best Sapper competition. Sounds similar to that.

217Bimmer 06-19-2012 12:16 PM

have you ever done an endurance race of any kind in your life? marathon, 50k, 50mi, 100k, 100mi?

coco savage 06-19-2012 12:20 PM

Wow i know one guy won 2 years running.

everyone should check out death race videos....crazy stuff!

xxcosmicxx 06-19-2012 12:22 PM

I'll stick to golf.

RossGuy 06-19-2012 12:44 PM

I've done a marathon, few halfs, and doing my 5th Tough Mudder in September. I have alot of training to do to get where I want to be at. I just want to see where my breaking point really is.... I have health insurance so who gives a f@ck!

NOVAbimmer 06-19-2012 12:45 PM

check out the Bataan Memorial Death March

old195 06-19-2012 01:49 PM

tuff mudder > spartan race:

http://www.natechurch.com/nc/post/Sp...gh-Mudder.aspx

CoconutPete 06-19-2012 03:21 PM

I signed up for the Rugged Maniac - I think that's about all I'm up for this year.

RossGuy 06-19-2012 04:41 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehbzEiysm4k

sick.boy1986 06-19-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer (Post 14500172)
Search for the Best Sapper competition. Sounds similar to that.

Are you a sapper? :clap:

NOVAbimmer 06-19-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sick.boy1986 (Post 14500962)
Are you a sapper?

no, didn't get the chance to go to school :banghead:

but I've been around for the end of two competitions.

sick.boy1986 06-19-2012 04:47 PM

Oh Okay. I've met a few guys that have been to the school.

coco savage 06-19-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old195 (Post 14500483)

comparing tough mudder to regular spartan race ( ie NOT the death race) :facepalm:

do you even know what the death race is?!

greydart 06-19-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RossGuy (Post 14500141)
Just Signed up for the 2013 event. Anyone know someone who's done it?

www.youmaydie.com

About


There are millions of running races, thousands of marathons, hundreds of triathlons and dozens of ultramarathons but there is only one Sparan Death Race. Held annually since 2005 in the small town of Pittsfield, VT, the Spartan Death Race gives up to 200 ultra-endurance athletes the chance to test their mental and physical prowess like no other event on earth. On average only 15% of the competitors finish the event. Remarkable when you consider the competitors are among the toughest and most seasoned endurance athletes on earth. The hurdle and challenge-driven race requires competitors to complete a series of (15-20) grueling mental and physical challenges throughout a 40-mile course that runs through the Vermont woods. During the Death Race, competitors may be asked to chop wood for 2-hours, carry a 20-lb stump around for hours, lift 10-30 lbs rocks for 5-hours; build a fire, cut a bushel of onions, crawl through mud under barbed wire, or after 20-hours of racing, memorize the names of the first 10 U.S. Presidents or a Bible verse, hike to the top of a mountain and recite them back in order.

Unlike other endurance races that offer a detailed map, Death Racers have no idea what to expect next as the course map and list of challenges are kept secret. This provides competitors with one of their biggest challenges as the length of the race can range from 24-48 hours. For an endurance athlete, not knowing where the light is at the end of the tunnel can be sheer torture.

For a taste of the Death Race, aspiring endurance athletes are encouraged to test their mettle at the Spartan Race Series. The 30-event series, developed by the creators of the Death Race, offers competitors three different obstacle race courses including: the Spartan Sprint (5K), Super Spartan (8 miles) and Spartan Beats (10+ miles). For a complete schedule visit www.spartanrace.com. For more information on the Death Race, visit www.YouMayDie.com or www.Facebook.com/spartanrace

Mad props to you, man. I hope you do well. If you haven't already, you'd be wise to watch Hobi Call's video on YouTube. It runs just over 50 min and is worth it's weight in gold. I was seriously thinking about doing this after watching some of the 13-15min videos outlining what happens. I lost a little interest after watching him go through the grind (a very small %.) It's simply pure hell, especially mentally.

I too would love to know how well I could do. I'm just not sure I'll ever pull the trigger. I've got respect for anyone willing to step up and commit.

coco savage 06-19-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greydart (Post 14501270)
Mad props to you, man. I hope you do well. If you haven't already, you'd be wise to watch Hobi Call's video on YouTube. It runs just over 50 min and is worth it's weight in gold. I was seriously thinking about doing this after watching some of the 13-15min videos outlining what happens. I lost a little interest after watching him go through the grind (a very small %.) It's simply pure hell, especially mentally.

I too would love to know how well I could do. I'm just not sure I'll ever pull the trigger. I've got respect for anyone willing to step up and commit.

http://youtu.be/_HWiYk9AOm0

RossGuy 06-20-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coco savage (Post 14501313)

Thanks, I'll have to check out the whole vid in a bit. I'm not expecting this to be fun but I think it's time to join the big boys club of endurance and challenge racing and see how it pans out. I wouldnt of considered it if it was this year, this way I have a full year to get ready. So is anyone from around Chicago thinking of signing up so I can train with someone?

coco savage 06-20-2012 09:32 AM

Rossguy, check out more videos by him...has a few training videos that give you an idea of what he does to train.

greydart 06-20-2012 10:27 AM

Based on what I can see, the best training would be to get comfortable being wet, cold, hungry, frustrated, and sleep deprived.

I'd plan to stay up for a day and half when rain is forecasted. I'd probably shovel dirt from one pile to another then back again, chop a lot of firewood in the rain, take a long walk in a woods at night and wander local creek beds for hours. I'd try to eat as little as possible. When I was ready to quit I'd probably force myself to sit in the rain and do a crossword puzzle with a pencil that has a broken tip.

The closer you can get to being comfortable with complete demoralization the better off you'll be when you're in VT.

coco savage 06-20-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greydart (Post 14503092)
Based on what I can see, the best training would be to get comfortable being wet, cold, hungry, frustrated, and sleep deprived.

I'd plan to stay up for a day and half when rain is forecasted. I'd probably shovel dirt from one pile to another then back again, chop a lot of firewood in the rain, take a long walk in a woods at night and wander local creek beds for hours. I'd try to eat as little as possible. When I was ready to quit I'd probably force myself to sit in the rain and do a crossword puzzle with a pencil that has a broken tip.

The closer you can get to being comfortable with complete demoralization the better off you'll be when you're in VT.

i'd say wouldnt you rather follow the advice/training of someone who has done it? lol


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use