E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Xi Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Ride Height: XI vs I (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929526)

kaboo0m 06-25-2012 11:04 AM

Ride Height: XI vs I
 
couldn't find the answer to this but can someone tell me the difference between the cars in terms of the rear height? I know the XI and I share common components for the rear portion of the car so is it the same and only the front is raised?

kaboo0m 06-26-2012 09:35 AM

Bump. Ordering parts soon

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Bimmer App

Kubica 06-26-2012 12:14 PM

It's a dumb question that's why nobody cares. Yes it's higher.

kaboo0m 06-26-2012 12:23 PM

do you happen to knwo by how much?

SamDoe1 06-26-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaboo0m (Post 14519184)
do you happen to knwo by how much?

Eleventy billion nanometers. Why does it matter? If you are getting new parts, they will lower it by a certain amount. Getting Eibachs or H&Rs will both give you RWD right height.

kaboo0m 06-26-2012 12:47 PM

it matters because im collecting information and making a judgement even if it makes a billion nanometers difference.

and no, getting eibachs or HRs will not give me RWD ride height nor RWD handling/comfort. I have experimented with HR and Dinan setups in the past and gone away with them because I took subjective information from responses like yours instead of actual facts. Now this is my last and final time messing with the suspension and I want to do it right with all the information I have available. so please excuse the annoying questions because some day, a fanatic with similar goals to mine will want to do it efficiently and cost effectively do it right the first time.

SamDoe1 06-26-2012 01:05 PM

Per your owners manual, page 161:

Overall height of the car from ground to roof:
325i/330i: 55.7in
325xi/330xi: 56.5in

Also, what exactly are you looking for in your suspension? I'm surprised that Konis and Eibachs don't fit the bill for you. I find them as close to the RWD suspension as it gets. Dinan is also supposed to be very very good because they are a factory recognized tuner.

kaboo0m 06-26-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 14519331)
Per your owners manual, page 161:

Overall height of the car from ground to roof:
325i/330i: 55.7in
325xi/330xi: 56.5in

yup thanks. I got that, but that only reflects the front which is .7 inches higher. Rear is supposedly different but I don't have a standard I model to find out for sure.

jasonbimmer 06-26-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaboo0m (Post 14519340)
yup thanks. I got that, but that only reflects the front which is .7 inches higher. Rear is supposedly different but I don't have a standard I model to find out for sure.

there you go
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/...ghtSpecs-1.jpg

kaboo0m 06-26-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 14519331)
Per your owners manual, page 161:

Overall height of the car from ground to roof:
325i/330i: 55.7in
325xi/330xi: 56.5in

Also, what exactly are you looking for in your suspension? I'm surprised that Konis and Eibachs don't fit the bill for you. I find them as close to the RWD suspension as it gets. Dinan is also supposed to be very very good because they are a factory recognized tuner.

I confirmed that eibach spring rates are harsher than a 330i ZHP's but softer than an M3's. not my cup of tea.

When I had my Dinan setup, my koni's wear harsher than their specs because I bought it from Koni outright to save money. Little did I know that Dinan had custom valving on their Koni's so my springs never oscillated correctly and did not feel right.

right now, I'm going for a stock setup for comfort reasons but have found some small components like strut hats and spring perches that will get the XI back to I level without affecting anything else.

SamDoe1 06-26-2012 01:19 PM

^ I need to get a bentley manual. :(

kaboo0m 06-26-2012 01:29 PM

kickass Jason, thanks again for your info. This is the setup I'm planning to do if you are curious:

Stock XI Struts/shocks and Springs
15mm front drop hats/5mm lower rear spring pad.

Standard XI Suspension vs Standard I Suspension Height:
23.85in vs 23.19in (Front) = .67 inches difference
22.52in vs 21.85mm (Rear) = .67 inches difference

Custom Stock XI Suspension vs Standard I Suspension Height (Projected):
23.26 vs 23.19in = .1 inch difference
21.93 vs 21.85in = .1 inch difference

so there you have it. it is going to be as close to I specs as possible without having to shell out a whole lot of money (aside from the stock parts)

Kubica 06-26-2012 04:50 PM

Dinan xi springs = HnR. Same thing. Go eibach.

kaboo0m 06-26-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubica (Post 14520031)
Dinan xi springs = HnR. Same thing. Go eibach.

They are not the same thing. They are sourced to H&R for manufacturing but their specs are Dinan.

Dinan springs drop the car .75 inches and .25inches in the rear and less Harsh when HR /Eibach are more serious. I know because I've owned BavAuto, H & R, Dinan Springs and sold them off in this forum in the past. I haven't tried Eibach yet, but after finding out directly from their R&D team that their spring rate is between ZHP and m3, I didn't want to risk blowing more money on that setup because I've ridden in both and it's not my cup of tea

SamDoe1 06-26-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaboo0m (Post 14519407)
kickass Jason, thanks again for your info. This is the setup I'm planning to do if you are curious:

Stock XI Struts/shocks and Springs
15mm front drop hats/5mm lower rear spring pad.

Standard XI Suspension vs Standard I Suspension Height:
23.85in vs 23.19in (Front) = .67 inches difference
22.52in vs 21.85mm (Rear) = .67 inches difference

Custom Stock XI Suspension vs Standard I Suspension Height (Projected):
23.26 vs 23.19in = .1 inch difference
21.93 vs 21.85in = .1 inch difference

so there you have it. it is going to be as close to I specs as possible without having to shell out a whole lot of money (aside from the stock parts)

Can you post up actual part numbers and part information for myself and others who are curious as to what exactly you're replacing to get this drop?

kaboo0m 06-26-2012 06:15 PM

sure. I was planning to create a thread about it next week afterI meet up with my mechanic to overhaul my suspension one last time. But basically here is what I ordered:

Drop Hats from Supreme Power Parts (http://www.supremepowerparts.com/0/0...+Power+Parts): $80 per pair
OEM Low Profile Spring pads (p/n 33531136385) : $12 per pair
Stock XI Struts/Shocks (from various vendors): $600

My experience with drop hats is that they work very well and offer those who want a modest drop without compromising ANYTHING and I mean it because in no way do these affect spring rate, shock rebound/life.. I have had these drop hats on my e30 with stock IS suspension and it is perfect. It dropped the front in line with the rear so it looks even (as oppose to the front being high).

It only took me this long to figure it out for an XI because I didn't realize the OEM spring perches between an I or an XI were actually the same P/N. The e46 AWD and RWD chassis share many more components than their e30 counterparts ever did so that is to our benefit i guess...

In any event, I encourage all those interested to refrain from buying anything until I report back to you with the results. That way you won't blow money on my simple theories.

kaboo0m 07-07-2012 07:32 PM

looking good so far. measured it with no passengers while camber and caster are out of spec but even with that, I've lost at least .5 inches compared to bently specs. will report back once I get an alignment next week

One thing I would've done differently is kept my koni shocks. I have gone back to stock shocks and the only difference I felt was in my wallet. My mechanic inspected them and said they had plenty of life and would last longer than oem. In other words, konis on the softest is comparable to OEM struts/shocks using oem springs. Lesson learned since I cant retuen oem parts but gotta spend a little to learn a little

sky123 07-12-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaboo0m (Post 14550764)
looking good so far. measured it with no passengers while camber and caster are out of spec but even with that, I've lost at least .5 inches compared to bently specs. will report back once I get an alignment next week

One thing I would've done differently is kept my koni shocks. I have gone back to stock shocks and the only difference I felt was in my wallet. My mechanic inspected them and said they had plenty of life and would last longer than oem. In other words, konis on the softest is comparable to OEM struts/shocks using oem springs. Lesson learned since I cant retuen oem parts but gotta spend a little to learn a little

please keep me updated. i'm getting one soon for my 330xi with eibach/koni yellow combo. post some pictures please
thanks

DesertBoat 07-13-2012 09:37 PM

Since you still have them and are not using them - Do you want to sell the Konis? :)

325guy 07-13-2012 10:03 PM

BILSTEIN the shocks/struts you can buy


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use