E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Money Matters (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Advice needed HR/ Engineers/ Professionals.....negotiation skills 911 (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=930210)

///MR3LIGION 06-28-2012 09:16 AM

Advice needed HR/ Engineers/ Professionals.....negotiation skills 911
It's about $$$ so Iposted it here...


I?ve been in this situation b4, ? SO close yet so FAR?? The HR touched base me with yesterday, basically feeling me how interested I am to work for the company ??and I played the game.

My humbled reply was ?It depends, I need to see the offer package first to cross reference on my current benefits/ base compensations that I have at work right now.? Followed another series of questions, asked me if I have current other offers pending, I gently responded that ?I don?t but I have a scheduled interview next week for a Biotech company.? Lastly, asked me my benefits I have at work like 401k, stock options, bonus?..etc. As noted, I played the game??I boosted some of the factors of course LOL

She gave me positive information about why they like me and the opportunity they can offer within their firm. The discussion was smooth and fairly short ~20mins. She assured me that w/in 24hrs a verbal offer will be made to move forward. Once both parties agreed, offer letter will follow instantly.

HERE?s the problem??.. VERBAL offer sucks coz now the HR got the advantage and they can fcK u up. NOTE, not recorded as far as legality??ur screwed. Unforeseeable events can occur, HR can be involved in a accident (GOD forbid), jail, court?..etc?.. (GETTING THIS). She slightly pointed out that the process is verbal then finalized it with the offer letter thus after the offer is documented?.negotiations is restricted.

I will try to convince her that I need legal offer letter on my hand to cross reference and review then I?ll give her my answer?.. HOPE that works.....

Amoeba 07-06-2012 01:03 PM

In my experience verbal offers are fine, I never had a problem with it. They don't want to give the paper offer because you may try to get counter offers with it. In fact verbal works better for me because I usually get in another round of counter offers with my current employer and future employer before settling on the decision. Keeping it verbal saves the HR dept from having to reprint offers.

F3 07-06-2012 01:31 PM

You always negotiate the verbal offers and once a written is given most companies don't like to change it once it goes that far. Feel free to reject offers if they are not right HRs job is to hire you at the lowest cost to them while not losing you as a candidate. I know you went through the process but I always try to be as vague as possible when they are asking be about what I current have. I want then to tell me what they have and I tell them what I want.

USCTrojanMan29 07-06-2012 08:09 PM

I've always wondered if asked by a company that you are interviewing with you can tell them that you don't want to disclose the amount to them if that is seen as a negative.

Amoeba 07-06-2012 08:49 PM

I always say I'm getting paid a competitive market rate, to elude answering.

Brevik 07-06-2012 10:01 PM

Glad you posted this thread because I am in the same position- I was offered an Engineering (Medical device R&D Laser Application) position today by a major firm and the HR person spilled their guts said the director wants me in position, but they have not talked about money/benefits yet.

I let them know that it would have to be a pretty sweet deal to get me out of my current position (I work for the industry leader and have been with them for 15 years- Starts with a "Med" and and ends with a "tronic") and they still wanted to move forward, so I think they are prepared to make a offer that will be hard to refuse, but I would like to push them to the limit.

I iwill be paying close attention to this thread, so please keep the advice coming.

USCTrojanMan29 07-06-2012 11:21 PM


Originally Posted by Amoeba (Post 14548664)
I always say I'm getting paid a competitive market rate, to elude answering.

Nice response, I'll be using that going forward.

///MR3LIGION 07-10-2012 11:31 PM


Hello E46er,
Seeking for some advice on how to act accordingly while my head has been spinning around like a yoyo, HR have been habitually delayed getting back to me after several verbal exhanges. She keeps informing me in 24hrs she will be intouched for updates but it's been almost a week now and I am a seriously concern securing the offer to take ownership of the position.

Here's the timeline:

June 23: Interviewed with high hopes :)

June 27: 1st contact by HR via phone, informed me that they are interested & would like to move forward. She assured me in 24hrs she will get back to me. She emailed me shortly after for her contact info.

June 28: 2nd contact by HR via email, requested me to apply online for the specific role. I followed up by a phone & email to assure them that I've applied.

June 28: 3rd contact by HR via email, confirmation note that application was received & will get back to me in 24hrs.


July 5th: 4th contact by HR via phone, updated me with a verbal offer, salary was discussed. As usual, lower than expected so negotiation process initiated. As informed, she would present the #s to the hiring manager and will get back to me in 24hrs.(So funny on everytime she says 24hrs, it takes a week).

July 10: NOTHING..............sitting idle and it's killing me.

I would like to touchbase with her for updates. From prior experience, I was able to expedite the closing process by inf
orming HR that I have a dilemma between Two job offers. Perhaps, I can conduct the same scenario. I can also inform her that I'll be on a business trip for 1week training and It wouldn't be fair for my supervisor/ current company due to the expense if I'll be leaving the company shortly. Honestly, I am just scared to loose this career advancement, it's the job that I really like. Please advice.

Amoeba 07-10-2012 11:53 PM

It's okay to pester HR. Sometimes they overlook it.

///MR3LIGION 07-11-2012 10:26 PM


July 5th: HR left a message that they were'nt able to move forward as far as the base $ is concern.
Expecting to hear back from me soon.

July 11th: Unfortunately just received the voice mail TODAY....WTF. HR had used a cellphone on a remote location to my mobile (weak signal @ work). Network technical issue missed a IMPORTANT call loosing my leverage counter offering their thinned compen pckg. I called back to explain that the message dated last Friday was just rcvd today. HR called and stated that their offer is firm & non negotiable. She was surprised that I called back after days have passed by so now they're in the process of filling the job ASAP. Basically take it or leave situation, I asked 'til tomorrow to think this over.

Is HR bluffing or should I push the limit and be a stressor? Not happy with the offer but job is ideal.

Amoeba 07-11-2012 11:43 PM

Not bluffing. The HR and manager really have no interest of lowballing you. But if finance won't approve it or out of normal hiring guidelines, there's little they can do about it. I don't think it'll budge much at this point.

///MR3LIGION 07-12-2012 04:47 PM

Accepted the offer w/ mixed feelings. Almost got me a /// if I had won the battle. Felt like I was @ gun point but I figured the opportunities here can give me the leverage that I need when I am back in the job market. With that being said, the war is not over yet......I will conquer!!!!

TO those who supported me and prayed for me.............THANK YOU MUCH!!!!!

SLVR JDM 07-12-2012 05:07 PM

Hopefully the compensation wasn't too much less than you expected, although if that were the case I hope you would have declined. Better to enjoy the job itself and give up a little on the compensation.

ashpelham 12-14-2012 11:07 AM

I know how hard this is to manage, the whole job offer and wanting a job conflict. I've changed jobs so many times, it's ridiculous. But it's the nature of being an employee in the high stakes high reward industry of finance and investment. There's a high turnover rate, and I've turned over. What I'm finding about taking an offer or accepting an offer is that wages are down, and whatever they offer, you might have very little wiggle room with. Biggest problem is that whatever job you are applying for, odds are there are many people who will take the job for whatever they will pay. At 8% or better unemployment, a lot of people will take whatever the offer is. Hard to consider turning down anything like that. I think you made a great move.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2016 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use