E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Xi Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Does front axle have a join that allows outer boot swap without pulling out axle? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=931180)

xi_ter 07-03-2012 06:18 PM

Does front axle have a join that allows outer boot swap without pulling out axle?
 
I need to replace my driver side front outer CV boot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig5L-unbCi0

At 0:19 of this video it looks like once
1) the hub is removed
2) the old outer boot is cut away

that a tap on the CV Joint housing will uncouple a join at the CV Joint.

If that's the case, the small end of the CV boot can be slipped on and after the cleaning of the CV Joint (in the video) that the section can be snapped back in and the boot can be packed and clamped.

The advantage is that the inner boot would not be disturbed. Also, it looks like it would not be necessary to remove the axle end from the differential.

Has anyone tried the outer CV boot replacement using the technique?

Bobby330xi 07-05-2012 11:48 AM

You could do it that way if you loosened the knuckle and pushed the axle back towards the front diff to slip it out of the hub.

I don't recommend using engine degreaser unless you make sure it is completely evaporated and residue cleaned. It can break down and dissolve any fresh grease you pack in the CV's. Most instructions for CV boot kits state this and recommend using soap and water to clean the CV's. Blow them out with air to help evacuate the soap/water.

mxchris727 07-05-2012 05:04 PM

That's how I did mine, and that's how it's supposed to be done.
Pulling the axle out of the diff is very easy and is a no-brainier.

xi_ter 07-08-2012 12:56 AM

This boot stretching air tool would be a huge time saver. Cutting a 3 hr job to 30 minutes. Maybe it's a needed tool with a lowered xi. Probably worth the $130.
http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/188478_x600.jpg

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-325...ols/ES1899405/

mmaldin 11-10-2012 12:50 PM

XT ier, did you go ahead with this boot repair? After much searching I am finding a lot of information on replacing the whole axle, but not much on just replacing the outer boot. Advice from anyone would be helpful.
Thanks.

NJFF26 11-10-2012 01:08 PM

IMO its easier to just replace the whole axle. I found A1 Carodone remans for around 100 dollars a side with boot kits costing about 20. Its possible damage is already done to the axle from not having grease in it if you didn't find it quick enough. For an extra 80 dollars you get to have a new axle and save time on the install and not get all dirty replacing the boot and greasing it only to have it leak and do the job again. Just how I looked at it and replaced both axles. Also get the seals on the dif from bmw if you change your cv axles.

325xittt 11-10-2012 07:38 PM

If the axle is original equipment and if it hasn't been damaged then IMO I would clean repack and replace the boot. Original equipment axles are the best (GNK LOBRO) There is a flood of cheap aftermarket axles that have entered the remanufacturing stream. They fail early and people send them in for the cores on remans when they have to replace them again. There are several reports of these cheap axles being used and sent out as reman's. If you have GNK's hold on to them and rebuild them if you must new ones are expensive.

mmaldin 11-10-2012 08:28 PM

It is original equipment and that is why I want to rebuild it. I am still looking for a good DIY for the outer boot. I have never done this type of repair before and am confident that I have the skill but need a good DIY to guide me through it.

xi_ter 11-11-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaldin (Post 14888413)
XT ier, did you go ahead with this boot repair? After much searching I am finding a lot of information on replacing the whole axle, but not much on just replacing the outer boot. Advice from anyone would be helpful.
Thanks.

Since I needed to order this boot replacement tool and was looking at at least 1 week getting it into Canada, I decided to have my indy replace the boot immediately after it tore. The cost was $300 plus the cost of the boot and I was able to continue using my factory axle.

There is this video on using the air powered boot stretcher. He doesn't work on an E46 though....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEKY0uFlBpc

It also looks like the boot material is specially made to stretch. They are sold by the distributor of the tool. I'd suggest checking that ECS means by rubber vs plastic CV boots ...can standard OE boots like Meyle and FEBI can be stretched like this?
http://productsthatwork.com.au/produ...chcv-index.php

jeepo23 11-11-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xi_ter (Post 14890288)
Since I needed to order this boot replacement tool and was looking at at least 1 week getting it into Canada, I decided to have my indy replace the boot immediately after it tore. The cost was $300 plus the cost of the boot and I was able to continue using my factory axle.

There is this video on using the air powered boot stretcher. He doesn't work on an E46 though....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEKY0uFlBpc

It also looks like the boot material is specially made to stretch. They are sold by the distributor of the tool. I'd suggest checking that ECS means by rubber vs plastic CV boots ...can standard OE boots like Meyle and FEBI can be stretched like this?
http://productsthatwork.com.au/produ...chcv-index.php

$300? For a boot repair? Was this for both axles or just one?

Sounds way tooo much. You could of bought a rebuild OEM one and had that installed it would of taken less time then to rebuild.

xi_ter 11-11-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepo23 (Post 14890418)
$300? For a boot repair? Was this for both axles or just one?

Sounds way tooo much. You could of bought a rebuild OEM one and had that installed it would of taken less time then to rebuild.

The stealership quoted $600 so my trusted indy was half the price.
That is per wheel - welcome to Canada. If I had let the CV deteriorate GNK Lobro half axle replacement sent from Pelican would have cost about $700 including installation.

jeepo23 11-11-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xi_ter (Post 14890500)
The stealership quoted $600 so my trusted indy was half the price.
That is per wheel - welcome to Canada. If I had let the CV deteriorate GNK Lobro half axle replacement sent from Pelican would have cost about $700 including installation.

I hear ya. Im on the east coast of canada.

For the $300, what was labor and what was part cost?

xi_ter 11-11-2012 05:37 PM

I usually order a spare GKN Loebro boot kit from Pelican for $11.75 (incl boot, grease, circlips, axle nuts) when I do an order. They will send by mail so no brokerage.
The labor was $300. This is a 2 1/2 hour job start to finish. My indy will install parts I provide.

jeepo23 11-11-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xi_ter (Post 14890834)
I usually order a spare GKN Loebro boot kit from Pelican for $11.75 (incl boot, grease, circlips, axle nuts) when I do an order. They will send by mail so no brokerage.
The labor was $300. This is a 2 1/2 hour job start to finish. My indy will install parts I provide.

Yah I have a OEM front left axle with a repair kit in my storage closet that I can rebuild and have on hand as I had to change mine out last year.

Haven't used pelicanparts yet, your saying no brokerage/duties when ordering through them?

xi_ter 11-11-2012 05:57 PM

If I order and the seller will send by parcel post or letter class mail, it will usually arrive without brokerage or duties (unlike UPS shipments!!!)
If the seller uses Priority Mail for speed and tracking I might get charged $8 service and 5% GST. But not always. Pelican likes using Priority Mail. BavAuto will send by mail as well if you ask.

jeepo23 11-12-2012 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xi_ter (Post 14890877)
If I order and the seller will send by parcel post or letter class mail, it will usually arrive without brokerage or duties (unlike UPS shipments!!!)
If the seller uses Priority Mail for speed and tracking I might get charged $8 service and 5% GST. But not always. Pelican likes using Priority Mail. BavAuto will send by mail as well if you ask.

Ah right on. I've only used http://www.thebmwpartstore.com and umnitza and got away with no duties on both :)

However it does drive me mad when I see the price online compared to what stuff is here locally or on the "canadian" parts sites.

IE.. Just had to purchase upper and lower spring pads to do my rear coil.. locally $45. Online it was $20. :censor:

When I did my rear axle and the rebuild process I ordered the stuff had it shipped to a border location (www.kinek.com) then went over and picked it up I even brought my own axle into the states and shipped it back to get my core money back.

dmann80 11-16-2012 04:17 PM

FYI- After research and some help with this site I decided just to replace the axles with OEM parts. I just ordered both new GKN Loebro axles from http://www.oembimmerparts.com and the total was $575 with free shipping if anyone is looking to go this route.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use