E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Rear knocking noise ?? (Not RTABSor subframe ...) (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=933974)

ayashifx55 07-18-2012 03:57 PM

Rear knocking noise ?? (Not RTABSor subframe ...)

Hello everyone,

About a two months ago , i had my RTABS replaced with m3 oe bushings because i searched around the forum for this problem.The mechanic said it was indeed the rtabs and my subframe was in perfect condition but he still suggested a reinforcement kit ..... now today , when i tried to reverse from my parking (goes up a bit to the street), it knocks a bit , from the rear left. Also knocks when i try to turn either left or right ?? It's not the transmission bushings because it only happens when i turn or take slight bumps. Heavy bumps will not make this noise. Has to be like a 80-90 degree turn i think.

Shocks are 1 year old bilsteins but i saw the end of the rear right spring broke off , can it cause this ? I am about to replace the springs with some h&r's.

The car still turns by itself toward left if i brake hard (But i replaced the RTABS !!)

Thank you for your suggestions everyone.

ShootyzGruve 07-18-2012 04:02 PM

Have you checked the RSMs?

Gus330vrum 07-18-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayashifx55 (Post 14582525)
Hello everyone,

About a two months ago , i had my RTABS replaced with m3 oe bushings, he showed me they were finished.The mechanic said my subframe was in perfect condition but he still suggested a reinforcement kit ..... now today , when i tried to reverse from my parking (goes up a bit to the street), it knocks a bit , from the rear left. Also knocks when i try to turn either left or right ??

Shocks are 1 year old bilsteins but i saw the end of the rear right spring broke off , can it cause this ? I am about to replace the springs with some h&r's.

The car still turns by itself toward left if i brake hard (But i replaced the RTABS !!)

Thank you for your suggestions everyone.

Yes the cause is your spring,

Do not use H&R spring ! Its harsh on shocks ... kills it quickly!

Try eibach-pro kit spring.

Go ahead and take out shock on spring broken side & check it by compressing and see if it comes back up

aggieE46 07-18-2012 04:05 PM

Have you checked the differential bushings? Mainly the big one in the rear.

ayashifx55 07-18-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrlatexxx (Post 14582545)
Yes the cause is your spring,

Do not use H&R spring ! Its harsh on shocks ... kills it quickly!

Try eibach-pro kit spring.

Go ahead and take out shock on spring broken side & check it by compressing and see if it comes back up

too late , i bought them already from this forum's member lol. Should be fine since i have aftermarket shocks.

though its the rear that makes the noise and the broken spring is on the rear right.

How do i know if the differential bushings and RSM are bad? Yes it does make noise when i change speed.

doggy 07-18-2012 07:55 PM

if you see cracks in rubber of diff bush, it needs changing
to check RSM, take off top nut and washer off shock and look for liquid leak
did you get alignment after changing RTAB?

Pawley 07-18-2012 08:06 PM

I had the exact same thing recently - backing out of driveway (downhill) would produce a clunk from rear left.
Stuck my head underneath to see that the rear sway bar link was detatched from the sway bar.
These are rubber units that simply push onto the sway bar.

J LAU 08-10-2012 03:31 AM

I have the same problem!!!!
what's the cure!????

ayashifx55 08-10-2012 08:58 AM

Turns out both rear springs were broken , i changed all springs for lowering springs and haven't got thee sound anymore. Im also changing the FCAB for some powerflex

J LAU 08-24-2012 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayashifx55 (Post 14642687)
Turns out both rear springs were broken , i changed all springs for lowering springs and haven't got thee sound anymore. Im also changing the FCAB for some powerflex

Th
Do u have pics of the broken springs?
I just recently changed to the Eibach pro-street S coilovers which is pretty much the same as KW V1 but with Eibach springs.
It shoooould not be the springs in my case but I'm not sure. I want to get that checked out to just in case.