E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Fan blowers not heating properly (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=934776)

daveleak 07-23-2012 02:51 PM

Fan blowers not heating properly

Evening forum,

Just had a load of work done on the car, it had a coolant light issue. Wouldnt stop coming on. It eventually went down the road of having new thermo, rad cap, coolant bottle, head gasket and some sort of exhaust pipe that split when it blew.

I havent had the car long and its my first BMW and I have a little issue. When the engines at normal temperature by heating will be on say 18-23oC and feel very very little hot air. All the vents are open with 3 red dots and the A/C is off.

If i turn it up to 32oC and back down it seems to be warmer.

Any ideas?

doggy 07-23-2012 04:23 PM

your cooling system has not been fully bled

loosen screw near coolant tank and wait till you see liquid come out. dont tighten screw too tight or you'll break it and need replacement. when car is cold check the coolant level is correct. dont over fill. you may need to do this a few times.

daveleak 07-23-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggy (Post 14594886)
your cooling system has not been fully bled

loosen screw near coolant tank and wait till you see liquid come out. dont tighten screw too tight or you'll break it and need replacement. when car is cold check the coolant level is correct. dont over fill. you may need to do this a few times.

Do you mean unscrew it so all the fluid comes out? Presumably Id have to take the bottom of the car off to get the fluid out?

Is there any other way of doing it? What are the dangers of just leaving it?

The coolant light came on and went off the other day, the level had dropped very very slightly, Im not sure why.

Many thanks

jasonbimmer 07-23-2012 05:04 PM

the screw near the coolant cap is the bleeder.
search how to bleed your cooling system.

doggy 07-23-2012 05:36 PM

when you loosen screw and you see nothing ,its air coming out, when you see fluid leak, theres no more air and you have bled all the air out. close screw when this happens. i had same problem and this fixed it

best to get all air out - i dont think any danger but system is not running at peak efficiency

daveleak 07-23-2012 05:38 PM

Right so step by step... Put key onto position 2, full heat and lowest fan. Turn the car on. Open the bleeding screw untill coolant comes out. Close it. Turn car off. Top car up when Cold with coolant/warm water? I really need a step by step quick fix to get rid of air. I have no coolant and really dont want a trip to the garage.

daveleak 07-24-2012 03:32 AM

Update: Opened the bleeding cap - fluid came out straight away. Opened the coolant bottle cap when engine was cold and it was bubbling like mad, took ages for it stop. Put engine on upto temperature and im not getting any heat or hardly any air what so ever from the fans now with the heat and the fans both on full.

doggy 07-24-2012 07:31 AM

just remembered - theres 2 little vents that get dusty by the controls. clear them out.

daveleak 07-24-2012 07:42 AM

The two by the front windows blow cold as well so its not that I dont think. Im stuck. Engine isnt over heating either

doggy 07-24-2012 08:15 AM

no i dont mean the main vents - down by controls thers 2 small holes that look like tiny vents - i think might have some thermostat or sensor, gets dusty

daveleak 07-24-2012 10:31 AM

Any chance of a pic? Appreciate your help doggy mate.

Sent from my LT15i using Bimmer App

doggy 07-24-2012 01:22 PM

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...43la?logcode=p

last pic to the left and right of temp readout

daveleak 07-24-2012 01:25 PM

Wonderful stuff, one to the left was pretty full of dust one to the right was clear, ill warm it up tomorrow and get back to you

doggy 07-24-2012 01:39 PM

hope it helps! worked for me :)

daveleak 07-24-2012 01:42 PM

Did you take it all out and do it or literally just pucker up to it and blow?

doggy 07-24-2012 03:03 PM

ideally vacuum but i blew mine

daveleak 07-24-2012 03:19 PM

Well that hasnt worked. Can you talk me through bleeding it. I appreciate theres a guide but as i say i havent got the gear to elevate the car. Ive got some stuff called wetter water, Ill do a 2l mix with water of that stuff. So ive got coolant, ive got a screw driver. How do I bleed it the way youre saying?

doggy 07-24-2012 04:13 PM

you dont need to elevate car to bleed it. i havent heard of wetter water stuff and i would only recommend putting 50/50 bmw or approved coolant with deionized/distilled water.

i suggest you look for guides already online - they're much better than i can describe and have photos too. its how i learnt this. google 'bmw e46 coolant diy' and you will find many guides to help you

daveleak 07-24-2012 04:18 PM

Update: Just put the car on to bleed it myself, it was all going so well. Got it upto operating temperature, opened the screw, loads of air came out thought wonderful. Got back in the car. Coolant lights on. ET cap came straight off and its bone dry. Rushed and got some hot water. Filled it up and gonna ring garage tomorrow. If you squeeze the top hose theres a hissing coming from the engine block to the tone of how your squeezing it. Absolute nightmare.

FenderGuy05 07-24-2012 05:09 PM

I don't think the bleeder screw is supposed to be open when the car is warmed up.

When I bled my cooling system after refresh, i turned the car to position 2 (engine not on) and heater up to highest setting and low fan speed. Poured coolant in until I saw coolant coming from screw.