E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Where to get SMG CSL tune upgrade? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=934786)

CMontyM3 07-23-2012 02:43 PM

Where to get SMG CSL tune upgrade?

I've been doing some reading and searched through the threads. I want to start by changing to the SMG CSL tune, but where can I get this done, I'm located in South Bend, IN.

steve bettencourt 07-25-2012 05:36 AM

I don't know about SMG CSL tune but there a soft ware up grade for the SMG I had it done to my car and its a lot smoother shift

illestminimike 07-25-2012 11:50 PM

I only know of EAS doing it. I think anyone with GT1 software can. Maybe even ask the dealer?

M3Nick 07-27-2012 01:46 PM

Evolve has one of the better tunes for the E46 M3.

Bdave 08-12-2012 11:46 PM

EAS and some really GOOD guy in Gwynedd, PA. Vodyk.
Here is a giant thread on his M5 SMG work. he does M3 CSL too.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...trol-free.html

Dont ever use ESS tuning. they are 600 bux and I am not even sure its a real CSL tune. Rapists.

The CSL software from EAS and Vodyk makes SMG insanely fast and gives a hard lock up. A 100% must for any SMG owners. Every new NABMW SMG software "update" softens, slows and degrades the SMG tune your car came with to save on wear and tear and perhaps the sub frame. I dont know.

I was livid when BMW told me they could not reverse their last update. My SMG was like a wet noodle by then.

Then I got the real deal. Super crisp and fast (really fast) shifts and much harder lock up in S5 and S6 (DSC off). Something like 3800 RPM launch too instead of wimpy 2500 with which my car nosed over so bad it was embarrassing.
Warning. Repeated launches will prematurely wear your clutch. I THINK normal EURO software has 30 of those high RPM launches allowed on one clutch until the brain is cleared when a new clutch is installed. I dont know about the CSL software which is even faster than the Euro tune. Ask your SMG tuner if that feature can be disabled if you want.

Realize that in every day driving the SLOWER lock ups S1. S2 A1 A2 (Automatic mode....I think it is actually called D1, D2 etc) are terrible for your clutch since they SLIP and slow the lock up! I use those settings all the time, but sparingly in say rush hour stop and go traffic or when Grand Ma is in the car, I will use A1 that starts in second gear from a stop. I call it rightfully so, "The Lexus Mode".

Sorry for long post and extra info but MANY guys are SMG knowledge ignorant. Very common. Dont feel bad.

I recommend a GOOD aftermarket clutch. Talk to South Bend Clutch with your needs. They rock. I never realized how poor my stock clutch was (to with stand heavy, but not BRUTAL use) until I got a South Bend. I toasted my OEM disc AND my dual mass flywheel in 30k miles. Only the last 2k was with 440HP. It was on its way out at 28K miles!
Launches. burn outs, drag strip a few times. Uh, yes. Guilty. So, I guess the life span was normal for circumstances... Way off topic. Rambling. Sorry. I'm bored. But the info is accurate and should be useful to many.

I would like to think all this was of some HELP to SMG owners!

Grendelsbane 08-13-2012 01:07 AM

Forgive me, but I am unfamiliar with your terminology. What do you mean by "harder lock up in S5 and S6"?

I think I found someone in my neck of the woods who is doing the SMG Euro tune. I am running stock so I am wondering if under your opinion it is worth while to get the tune? If I understand correctly, the tune may go through the life of the clutch much faster than the regular US programing.

kaput 08-13-2012 11:55 PM

Your best bet is the M3 forum. There is a mega thread on it over there, and anyone with a cable and a laptop and stolen software can do it.

It is the factory CSL SMG software, which has been proven to work for US spec cars, and gives you all the euro options. It is easy to do, but you need the cable and software.

eas 08-14-2012 04:39 PM

We have done the EU SMG software for a number of E46M3 and E60 M5s.

However, vehicle will need to be present in our facility in Anaheim, CA.

E46M3BMW 08-14-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eas (Post 14652595)
We have done the EU SMG software for a number of E46M3 and E60 M5s.

However, vehicle will need to be present in our facility in Anaheim, CA.

how much is that?

Grendelsbane 08-16-2012 02:00 AM

Anybody have a link for the differences between a Euro SMG tune vs the CSL SMG tune upgrade?

illestminimike 08-16-2012 02:41 AM

Euro is just the higher launch control. CSL is higher launch control and faster gear changes.

eas 08-23-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46M3BMW (Post 14652684)
how much is that?

Here's a video of the CSL SMG upgrade in action. Launch mode is raised from 3200RPM to 4500RPM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouG_MNFMDMk

SMG update is $95, we perform the flash in-house.

JamaicanBlueE46M3 08-23-2012 03:39 PM

can we send the smg computer to u? Won't be easy sending the car from Jamaica.

Firstboost 08-23-2012 05:47 PM

Just had a boatload of things done with my DME by my friend locally. It's starting to become more popular than most people know.

I am pretty sure the DME needs to be in the car to tune it. You can't ship it and have someone plug it in...unless maybe they plugged it into another SMG M3. I'm not sure if the DME reverts to factory settings when it has been removed. EAS should be able to answer that.

The one other thing about the CSL SMG tune is the smoothness of the shifts. No more stuttering on starts in 1st gear, no more M-clunk.

Don't forget the Euro4 tune... I did this as well and couldn't be happier with the low-mid range. 2800-4000RPM is a lot more fun now, and I have ZERO engine mods.

Hi-LowBlow 01-09-2013 04:24 PM

I know it's more than an half year old since the last post, but let me ask why no more stuttering on starts with the CSL smg software? I might give the software a try if it is true!

turbo_f22_pilot 01-10-2013 09:31 PM

Stuttering still occurs once and a while, but due to the fact that the EU SMG / CSL SMG programs are harsher ((quicker engagement) especially the early versions) than the NA SMG program, one rarely experiences the stutter. I get it sometimes when trying to pull off really slow and gentle.

sakumaxp 01-11-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbo_f22_pilot (Post 15050301)
Stuttering still occurs once and a while, but due to the fact that the EU SMG / CSL SMG programs are harsher ((quicker engagement) especially the early versions) than the NA SMG program, one rarely experiences the stutter. I get it sometimes when trying to pull off really slow and gentle.

i heard if the stuttering gets to be something that bothers you, you can take it to a good indy shop and have them "re-teach" the smg clutch grab points? or something along those lines, dont quote me on that though.

rjskalet 01-11-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sakumaxp (Post 15052137)
i heard if the stuttering gets to be something that bothers you, you can take it to a good indy shop and have them "re-teach" the smg clutch grab points? or something along those lines, dont quote me on that though.

it is resetting the clutch adaptations. its really pretty easy to do. If you have a 32 bit computer invest in the cable and do it yourself and save yourself the headache. Honestly $40 for a cable and having the ability to do all of this yourself is truly a blessing.

ZCP14 01-13-2013 04:54 PM

Check out Pit Stop Motor Tuning in Burbank CA. He did my updates, tranny is much smoother