E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Need help, car smoking and oil on spark plugs (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=936159)

TX325i 07-31-2012 06:33 AM

Need help, car smoking and oil on spark plugs

Hey guys, yesterday I was driving home, I was on the highway and when I pulled to the first stop light my car just started to put out blue smoke. It had done this before when I turned on the car one morning but not this bad. It was smoking all the way home which was about 5 minutes. I checked the spark plugs and they were wet with oil. I just took off the first two and they both have oil. It flashed the red oil light but it turned off immediately. The low oil light came on about a week ago and I put about 2 qts.

My car for a couple of months now has had a rough idle, not too bad but certainly noticeable. Only at low speeds you can feel the car stutter, when moving from a stop.

How could oil get on the spark plugs?
What are parts that possibly need to get replaced?

Thanks in advance.
Hoping to figure out what's wrong so I can order the parts and fix it this weekend.

dmax 07-31-2012 06:46 AM

VCG and consider doing vanos seals too.

Also, when the low oil light comes on, you shouldn't need to add more than a qt. and sometimes less than that.

The reading you get when you turn the car off and wait 5 mins. is about 1/2 qt. lower than what it will be in the a.m. when cool on level ground. It takes a while for the oil to drain down and some gets held up a bit. If the low light comes on again, just add the minimum you need to get the light off, then make final adjustment at home.

If you overfilled, which I think you did, that might have attenuated the burning you noticed. Your exhaust manifold heat shield will undoubtedly be covered with brown burnt oil...and if you run your finger under vc, you'll feel oil.

There are gaskets that come with the kit that cover the spark plug wells, and they're shot, thus why you're getting oil in there.

If you had oil in well and then removed spark plug, expect burning from the oil that dripped into the cylinder. I'm not sure how good that is if it was a substantial quantity, but sounds like you already started up the car already afterward? If not, see what you can do about getting that oil out of there...a tad won't hurt, but an oz. you'd probably have an issue with.

TX325i 07-31-2012 07:18 AM

I haven't started up the car after I got home. The car rode fine all the way home it was just smoking. I possibly did overfill with oil. I will start the car again today and see what it does. Even if it stops smoking should I still change the VCG and Vanos seals?

Changing my vanos seals would help with my rough idling and stuttering takeoffs or with the oil on the spark plugs? Or both?

Also if oil got on the spark plugs does that mean that they are no longer usable? I have 145K miles on the car, I got it when it had 70K.

jasonbimmer 07-31-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TX325i (Post 14615736)
I haven't started up the car after I got home. The car rode fine all the way home it was just smoking. I possibly did overfill with oil. I will start the car again today and see what it does. Even if it stops smoking should I still change the VCG and Vanos seals?

Changing my vanos seals would help with my rough idling and stuttering takeoffs or with the oil on the spark plugs? Or both?

Also if oil got on the spark plugs does that mean that they are no longer usable? I have 145K miles on the car, I got it when it had 70K.

at 145k you better put some new plugs in while you are in there.
also at 145k you better have the VCG, Vanos, OFHG done.
I did mine at 115k and they were leaking BAD!

TX325i 07-31-2012 10:09 AM

I did my oil filter housing gasket around 90K. I haven't lost any oil since I replaced it. The oil loss started to happen about a month ago. I replaced the OFHG about 2+ years ago.

Sent from my SGS2 using Bimmer App

TX325i 08-06-2012 07:27 AM

Hey guys I need some more advice. I changed my VCG and vanos seals Saturday. The car is running better than before but my car is still smoking. It didn't start smoking again till Sunday. The car runs fine but it is smoking. Need help.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Bimmer App

dmax 08-06-2012 07:38 AM

Well, immediately after doing vcg, you'd expect some oil to still be present and burn off. You might try wiping off oil you find on exhaust mani heat shield...on cylinder head...and see if that reduces your smoking.

You should expect a little burning, though, in places you can't get to to clean. If it continues for say more than a few days, then maybe you still have an issue.

Not knowing how careful or knowledgeable you were when doing this work, I can't say whether you did something wrong or not.

TX325i 08-06-2012 07:43 AM

I'm confident in the work I did. Job was fairly simple. What would be the reason that there was oil on the spark plugs, on the threads not on top?

dmax 08-06-2012 07:52 AM

Because your gaskets over the plug wells were leaking...and when you pulled the plugs, oil got on the threads. Anyway, hope that's why. When I did my vcg, I had a coating of oil in the bottom of 6 and just a tad in 5. Not sure you looked, but wouldn't surprise me if I'm right and that's all it was. Hope so.

Rotha 08-06-2012 08:23 AM

if it's still going try changing your CCV

TX325i 08-06-2012 09:07 AM

Would a bad CCV allow oil to get in there? That's was going to be my next guess.

dmax 08-06-2012 09:44 AM

When you said oil on threads, that's what I thought you meant. Did you have burnt oil residue at the bottom of the plug threads? I'm not sure how far below the well the threads reach...but I just read your first post again and see you were putting oil out the rear of the car...in just reading your recent post, I thought you were talking about just burning oil from vcg.

If you're still burning oil, putting out blue smoke, then I hope it's ccv. If not, then, you know, you probably have more serious issues.

I'd do ccv just to eliminate the chance it's head/head gasket. Had the car overheated when you had it? I'm sure PO wouldn't have told you it overheated, though you might look for evidence of that if the ccv doesn't work for you. Don't forget to either replace or clean guidetube when doing ccv.

TX325i 08-06-2012 09:52 AM

Car has never overheated since I've had it. Oil was at the very tip of the plugs, where the spark occurs. I will do the ccv this week.