E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Car shudders, restart then OK (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=936349)

ForceMajeure 08-01-2012 01:31 AM

Car shudders, restart then OK

Although its hard to drag yourselves away from such quality threads like "I got poison oak on my weiner " and "Bachelor Party in Vegas" :P, I have a serious issue with the oldies 2.0 Litre 318i, a few time now you are driving along and the car starts shuddering and vibrating, the car comes to arolling stop, once pulled over you then restart it it seems OK again until it happens again a week or so later.

I have seen this thread regarding some issues but am wondering if anyone has had the exact same issue? :thumbup:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=897616

MJLavelle 08-01-2012 02:02 AM

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed, if ever?

ForceMajeure 08-01-2012 02:23 AM

Not sure about the fuel filter, actually an engine light DOSNT come on, the car just comes to a rolling stop and when you restart it it goes OK.

jetblackmaverick 08-01-2012 02:26 AM

Often times that behavior can be attributed to a misfire(coil, plug, injector.)

notsoworried 08-01-2012 08:13 AM

^^agree

nughaud 08-01-2012 10:03 AM

You really need to get a generic OBD-II code reader for $17.20 with Prime from Amazon which will help you find the root of your evils.
http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan.../dp/B001LHVOVK

It could be bad/dirty MAF, camshaft sensor, O2 sensors, spark plugs, fuel filter, air leak, coils etc...
If it's a MAF, you can try to clean it.. usually doesn't work but might help.
If it's a camshaft sensor just replace it.
If it's an O2 sensor, then replace both of the pre-cat ones if they are close to 100k between last change.
spark plugs should be changes at 100k also.
Fuel filter is 50k miles.
Air leak is a PITA and it might take a long time to find it.
Coils go bad all the time and having just 1 coil can make the car at times almost undrinkable.

It's too hard to give you any real answer without some codes.
For the time being you could go to Autozone and have them read your codes, then clear them and then come back a few days later and get them checked again.

hummer 08-01-2012 10:30 AM

Add crank sensor and fuel pump/relay to the list.

nughaud 08-01-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hummer (Post 14618844)
Add crank sensor and fuel pump/relay to the list.

Exactly...it can be so many things, and even if/when you have a code reader it's still hard to figure it out at times.

anton84 08-01-2012 11:32 AM

i have a very similar problem i have changed the coil pack, alternator, air flow meter, ht leads and the car was serviced not over 2 months ago the problem still persists its certainly looking like a fuel pump etc replacement

ForceMajeure 08-13-2012 07:45 PM

I have just got the code reader in the post, where dose it plug in BTW on an e46? My X3 it plugs in in the boot compartment area.

notsoworried 08-14-2012 08:45 AM

On the driver side left and under of the steering wheel there is a latch with the port behind it.

ForceMajeure 08-18-2012 01:10 AM

OK, so i got the code reader working but no codes being shown, looks like its back to manual find of the issue. :(

jfoj 08-18-2012 11:32 AM

Is your car a Diesel? Your profiles lists a car that I would assume is a Diesel.

Also what year is your car? If you have a round under hood (bonnet) connector you will need a round connector adapter cable for your tool.

Also be careful if you have a Diesel, we do not have E46 Diesel's in the US, many of the suggestions may be incorrect and not sure what codes a Diesel provides.

ForceMajeure 08-19-2012 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfoj (Post 14661919)
Is your car a Diesel? Your profiles lists a car that I would assume is a Diesel.

Also what year is your car? If you have a round under hood (bonnet) connector you will need a round connector adapter cable for your tool.

Also be careful if you have a Diesel, we do not have E46 Diesel's in the US, many of the suggestions may be incorrect and not sure what codes a Diesel provides.

No, thats my 2006 X3, this is issue is a 2003 e46 2.0 318i petrol engine.

jfoj 08-19-2012 06:49 AM

318i, got it.

I see you found my master misfire thread!

What is sounds like is you are getting cylinder misfire with cutoff? This is why when you turn the car off and restart, it runs fine for a bit.

Since the car is a 2003, the ODC connector should be in the cabin, not sure if it is on the steering wheel side or not? You probably have the steering wheel on the WRONG side!

See what codes you can pull, they may be helpful.

Does the problem happen when the car is warmed up?

Does the problem happen at idle?

Does the problem happen under load?

Could be a lot to things, I would probably start with the basic maintenance issues first like replacing spark plugs and spark plug boots if the age is unknown. Check for oil in the spark plug wells.

Also check my signature below for the "Hidden OBC Menu" and look at charging Voltage and intank fuel transfer for some other ideas.

The 2nd link below in my signature will give you fuel pump info.

Good luck.