E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Caliper Paint- Good idea or waste of money? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=936869)

JoeParkerPoe 08-03-2012 10:09 PM

Caliper Paint- Good idea or waste of money?
 
1 Attachment(s)
I'm new to this site and the whole "forum" thing so I hope I'm doing this right! I am wondering if anyone has any info on painting the brake calipers on an '04 330Ci... I was thinking yellow or red would look good behind my black M-style rims. Is it going to be a waste of time and money? THANKS!!!

P.S. I posted a picture of my car along with this. (Yes it looks like a drawing but that is because of the effect I put on it)

nike001 08-03-2012 10:19 PM

Paint them black or grey. Something subtle.

You don't want to get attention drawn to your measly 330 calipers.

TynWarrior 08-03-2012 10:28 PM

Honestly I don't think it's worth the work have to do for it. Unless are replacing calipers and have clean ones off can paint quickly.
And on most rims don't even notice them. The ones on my M3 are red, only when I take off the wheel do I see it, and say to myself "oh cool, I forget those were painted."

I'd maybe look into those eh, I guess are brake dust covers, they essentially just clip onto the caliper, indirectly giving the illusion of bigger/painted calipers.

jM2.me 08-03-2012 10:29 PM

agreed with nike001. Bigger calipers with decent wheels will look good in red, but I still prefer black/gray.

Off-site thought: white/light-gray calipers. hmm

jblaze2004 08-03-2012 10:37 PM

very good idea. I painted my red. The spray can type is going to be harder. If i had to do it over I would of got the kit that you brush on.


wish i had better wheels to show the calibers more.
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/y...3/476ad962.jpg

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/y...3/f3a7903a.jpg

jM2.me 08-03-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jblaze2004 (Post 14627018)
very good idea. I painted my red. The spray can type is going to be harder. If i had to do it over I would of got the kit that you brush on.

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/y...3/476ad962.jpg

Very well done sir. :thumbup:

Hockeyguy02 08-03-2012 10:39 PM

You will get hassled by most of the members of you paint them red. I would recommend black or silver. I think it gives them a good clean look. Any other colors just draw too much attention to your " measly calipers "

jblaze2004 08-03-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeParkerPoe (Post 14626947)
I'm new to this site and the whole "forum" thing so I hope I'm doing this right! I am wondering if anyone has any info on painting the brake calipers on an '04 330Ci... I was thinking yellow or red would look good behind my black M-style rims. Is it going to be a waste of time and money? THANKS!!!

P.S. I posted a picture of my car along with this. (Yes it looks like a drawing but that is because of the effect I put on it)

red caliber paint with your wheels would look BADAzz. Some red lugs or a red center cap would finish the look:thumbup:

JoeParkerPoe 08-03-2012 10:44 PM

Sweet. Thanks for the insight guys! I gonna take another look at them in the morning and think on it.

mbnz230 08-03-2012 10:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
i painted mine black. it's 100% worth it. it looked rusty before and not it looks like new. i highly recommend it.

invictus 08-03-2012 10:45 PM

oh god.

JoeParkerPoe 08-03-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jblaze2004 (Post 14627036)
red caliber paint with your wheels would look BADAzz. Some red lugs or a red center cap would finish the look:thumbup:


OOOOOOhhhh I might change my center caps. Didn't think about that....

mbnz230 08-03-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jblaze2004 (Post 14627018)

i notice the red rings on the wheels needs a little adjustment cause they are not perfectly round. :eek:

jblaze2004 08-03-2012 10:56 PM

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...9/bbsCH009.jpg

rossisboss 08-03-2012 10:56 PM

Painting them will keep them from rusting and looking like crap, I know it's pricey but the G2 kits are very durable. Normally calipers look rusted and crappy after 1 winter in Ohio... 2 years now with no difference in color or finish. just only mix half the kit to begin.

I painted mine orange, go ahead and flame lol. I plan on adding very small touches of orange throughout the interior and possibly some extremely small touches on the exterior to match.

trive2 08-03-2012 10:57 PM

Black looks awesome.

Most people who paint their calipers end up with a dodgy watery looking finish showing through the texture of the metal? How do we get that beautiful smooth milky glossy paint that Brembo etc. paint their calipers with? Do I have to sand back my caliper?

jblaze2004 08-03-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbnz230 (Post 14627050)
i notice the red rings on the wheels needs a little adjustment cause they are not perfectly round. :eek:

yeah thats when i first did it without the tool:facepalm: but i redid them now. That's what I get for not reading instructions:evil:

mbnz230 08-03-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jblaze2004 (Post 14627063)
yeah thats when i first did it without the tool:facepalm: but i redid them now. That's what I get for not reading instructions:evil:

cause looking at it from a distance it's like a wheel that is bent at many places, i am glad its fixed now :clap:.

330xIce 08-03-2012 11:04 PM

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...9/bbsCH009.jpg


:idea:


http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/y...3/f3a7903a.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m83yjxsGgk1qe4hd5.png

328ci906 08-03-2012 11:38 PM

Black or silver. I did mine silver and they look a lot like a clean set of new OEM calipers.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use