E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   330ci Modifications (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=936906)

PrecisionX 08-04-2012 09:27 AM

330ci Modifications
 
I was wondering what the best and safest modifications for a 2002 330ci auto sport package would be and roughly what I can expect to pay and gain from them. I need something that isn't going to hinder reliability at all or make my transmission tired, it currently has 53,000 on the clock. I want some tasteful stuff done to spice things up

Exhaust: what to look for that sounds good,
Offers good gains and isn't going to cost a ton, I'm a bang for buck guy.

Intake: drop in filter or full intake?

Header: is it worth it?

And whatever else

Beamer Creamer 10-01-2012 01:11 AM

Automatic or stick? Cold air intake and catback prob cheapest bang for buck or get head shaved

Steven747 10-01-2012 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beamer Creamer (Post 14776583)
Automatic or stick? Cold air intake and catback prob cheapest bang for buck or get head shaved

you have m3 so dosent count :D and head being shaved sounds like you would need to drop serious money on beanies for winter to stay warm

op best bang for buck would be a differential swap. since yours is auto i think that comes with a 3.46 diff so maybe look into a 3.64 diff swap a cosmo long tube intake and a shark injector and you will pretty much exhaust your cheapest bang for buck options. then comes headers if you dont have smog issues in your state then after headers would prob be cams or a real tune

illestminimike 10-01-2012 02:54 AM

S54 swap and/or forced induction.

Beamer Creamer 10-01-2012 02:57 AM

Ok. Diff swap. Haha. Might as well go 4.11 then and put octane boost in fuel. Run alcohol and an electric turbo fan:)

Steven747 10-01-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beamer Creamer (Post 14776702)
Ok. Diff swap. Haha. Might as well go 4.11 then and put octane boost in fuel. Run alcohol and an electric turbo fan:)

no.

sedanpowersc 10-01-2012 12:47 PM

Headers, cosmos racing CAI, shark injector, pulleys, diff swap and work on suspension after that and you'll have a pretty fun car. GL :thumbup:

PrecisionX 10-01-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven747 (Post 14776675)
you have m3 so dosent count :D and head being shaved sounds like you would need to drop serious money on beanies for winter to stay warm

op best bang for buck would be a differential swap. since yours is auto i think that comes with a 3.46 diff so maybe look into a 3.64 diff swap a cosmo long tube intake and a shark injector and you will pretty much exhaust your cheapest bang for buck options. then comes headers if you dont have smog issues in your state then after headers would prob be cams or a real tune

I thought of doing a dif swap to a 3.64 but a guy I know with a turbo e36M said to me that it'd be running so high strung that it'd be annoying and I wouldn't be any quicker really...

Where would I find a 3.64 dif (don't know what they come off of)

How would I go about the install?

If I didn't DIY what kind of labor charge would you expect? or is it easy enough to DIY without screwing anything up?

How much can I get for my 3.46 dif?

sedanpowersc 10-01-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrecisionX (Post 14777738)
I thought of doing a dif swap to a 3.64 but a guy I know with a turbo e36M said to me that it'd be running so high strung that it'd be annoying and I wouldn't be any quicker really...

Where would I find a 3.64 dif (don't know what they come off of)

How would I go about the install?

If I didn't DIY what kind of labor charge would you expect? or is it easy enough to DIY without screwing anything up?

How much can I get for my 3.46 dif?

He is probably refferring to having a 3.64 on a 5 speed which yes would be way to high, on an automatic though people have ran 3.91 with no problems, if you decide to sell 3.46 i might be interested depending on price.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App

PrecisionX 10-01-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedanpowersc (Post 14778205)
He is probably refferring to having a 3.64 on a 5 speed which yes would be way to high, on an automatic though people have ran 3.91 with no problems, if you decide to sell 3.46 i might be interested depending on price.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App

What about the other questions?

sedanpowersc 10-01-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrecisionX (Post 14778275)
What about the other questions?

You can get diffs anywhere pretty much, look here on the classifieds for a start, a 3.91 comes off of an x3 I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), the swap is extremely straight forward may take a few hours but there are some good DIY's out there to help.

TrippinBimmer 10-01-2012 08:26 PM

stock...

PrecisionX 10-01-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer (Post 14778876)
stock...

No

Steven747 10-01-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrecisionX (Post 14777738)
I thought of doing a dif swap to a 3.64 but a guy I know with a turbo e36M said to me that it'd be running so high strung that it'd be annoying and I wouldn't be any quicker really...

Where would I find a 3.64 dif (don't know what they come off of)

How would I go about the install?

If I didn't DIY what kind of labor charge would you expect? or is it easy enough to DIY without screwing anything up?

How much can I get for my 3.46 dif?

on a autotragic its fine on a 6spd its fine if you dont do alot of highway driving

yes you will be faster on the but dyno alot.. i believe 3.64 comes off a auto zhp but you would need to double check that ..

check the classifieds

no idea maybe 150-250 then work out the shipping with buyer..

sounds like you need to have some one else do the install .. diy is free install might be couple hundred if your cool with the shop or guy

PrecisionX 10-01-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedanpowersc (Post 14778833)
You can get diffs anywhere pretty much, look here on the classifieds for a start, a 3.91 comes off of an x3 I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), the swap is extremely straight forward may take a few hours but there are some good DIY's out there to help.

I figured it was a pretty simple bolt in swap out but what will I see for drops in 0-60 time and 1/4 time? If any? What are the cons of a Dif swap?

Beamer Creamer 10-01-2012 09:02 PM

How can i delete messages i wrote?

PrecisionX 10-01-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beamer Creamer (Post 14778981)
3.64 prob gain you around .3 seconds in quarter. Its still all up to the launch but you prob get good grip anyway. Just port and polish, cam it and intake, pulleys and program

I'd consider a 3.64 but was told I'd be better off doing a 3.91 and cams/port polish is too deep for my wallet. Pullies not sure. I wonder how much a 3.91 would shave.

Beamer Creamer 10-01-2012 10:16 PM

I was just guessing at time . Someone has to know your top speed with 3.91's ? I cant sacrifice top speed, i want more. Gotta hit the 200 mph club. Pulleys are cheap but you need to decide how far you wanna go with them. I doubt worth the gains if you arent guna get the race only ones and then car has to be high revs all the time. They will help your other parts in system last longer though. Eg. Less revolutions

PrecisionX 10-01-2012 10:32 PM

200mph? Mmm not happening w a 330 unless you have ten miles or runway and 300 more hp

Beamer Creamer 10-01-2012 10:45 PM

Haha. I keep forgetting,im talking bout m3 again. I just dont like that wasted 6th gear. Governs in 5th at bout168mph


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use