E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Passenger Window Problem (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=937497)

BimmerKid37 08-07-2012 05:11 PM

Passenger Window Problem
 
I have a 04 325i, I recently had my windows tinted professionally and now my passenger window is in bad shape. The service guy promised that it was a bad window bushing. It just seems like bad timing to me because no other window has any problem.

What happens- I roll the window down, it makes more of a popping sound a third of the way down and two thirds of the way down. When I roll it up, same thing happens as well and it sounds like something is resisting it. And once it is all the way up, it makes a snapping sound when it is all the way up because it is on the wrong side of the seal. If it is pushed gently it goes right up it to the correct spot.

My predicament is, does this sound like the company that did my windows fault, and demand they fix it, or is this a common problem, and can it be somewhat easily fixed?

Help is much appreciated.
Cheers

jdstrickland 08-07-2012 05:27 PM

My crystal balls predict a new window regulator in your future. Put the window up and LEAVE it there, else it will be stuck down in the rain.

jdstrickland 08-07-2012 05:28 PM

And...
No, the window tint has nothing to do with it.

jgold47 08-07-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BimmerKid37 (Post 14635427)
I have a 04 325i, I recently had my windows tinted professionally and now my passenger window is in bad shape. The service guy promised that it was a bad window bushing. It just seems like bad timing to me because no other window has any problem.

What happens- I roll the window down, it makes more of a popping sound a third of the way down and two thirds of the way down. When I roll it up, same thing happens as well and it sounds like something is resisting it. And once it is all the way up, it makes a snapping sound when it is all the way up because it is on the wrong side of the seal. If it is pushed gently it goes right up it to the correct spot.

My predicament is, does this sound like the company that did my windows fault, and demand they fix it, or is this a common problem, and can it be somewhat easily fixed?

Help is much appreciated.
Cheers

No, it sounds like your window regulator is broken, and unles they took out the window, they probably had nothing to do with it. They break all the time on e46's. Google window regulator zip tie fix and fix it temporpermanently(I made that word up), or replace the regulator. Some of our sponsors have them for as cheap as 50 bucks without a motor (which you dont need). It takes probably about an hour to fix (I just did both mine this weekend). I would just be VERY careful with your freshly tinted windows becuase the window does get moved around a lot during this fix...

BimmerKid37 08-07-2012 05:50 PM

Thanks guys! I just watched BavAuto do a whole demo on how to do it. Looks pretty simple.

bratliff 08-07-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BimmerKid37 (Post 14635552)
Thanks guys! I just watched BavAuto do a whole demo on how to do it. Looks pretty simple.

It is. I've had to do two now. First my passenger side then, a month later, the driver side.

scottjoh 08-07-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bratliff (Post 14635745)
It is. I've had to do two now. First my passenger side then, a month later, the driver side.

It's easy as long at it fits! Bought an aftermarket regulator and tried to bolt the sucker in and one of the studs was about 1/4" off. I could not get it to fit and it was clear that I would need to doing some grinding to elongate one of the holes. Even though the BMW regulator will break again eventually buy OEM, at least it fits. It turned out my regulator wasn't bad so I reinstalled the original instead of modifying the door to fit the piece of crap aftermarket regulator.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use