E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   e46 tune (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=937871)

bski111 08-09-2012 10:07 PM

e46 tune
 
i have an 02 325ci and want to upgrade for more power. i recently installed an intake and felt a slight but not impressive gain. any ideas on cost effective mods with maximum gains, exhaust or tune possibly?

ThatGuy_JZ 08-09-2012 10:27 PM

You're better off getting a 3:46 rear end from an automatic, assuming you have a 5 speed. You'll feel that and spend less then you would on a tune.

Best mod I've done, but match it with a short shifter. I went affordable at understeer.com

And I have intake, muffler, and pulleys. Didn't feel crap from any of it. Sounds nice though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Bimmer App

Lemonsqr 08-09-2012 10:28 PM

no. Best thing to make your ride FEEL faster in a cost effective way is a diff swap. intakes, exauhsts, pulleys do next to nothing....no chips either

j_block 08-09-2012 10:36 PM

What about headers?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer App

ThatGuy_JZ 08-09-2012 10:46 PM

I saw a thread with eBay headers showing a dyno proven 7 hp on a 325.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Bimmer App

Bimmerguy82 08-10-2012 12:26 AM

I got 12whp from headers on my ZHP! :evil:

choxor 08-10-2012 12:41 AM

This isn't a Civic. These cars are pretty well optimized from the factory. If you want actual gains you're going to have to shell out the cash.

DHK 08-10-2012 05:58 AM

No offense meant, you may well know how to drive a high reving car but... A lot of people who want to increase power don't understand how to apply what they already have to the road anyway. These aren't muscle cars they aren't going to feel fast in normal driving conditions. Their real power band is the 4500-6200 RPM range, I think a lot of people are afraid to drive their cars like they are meant to be driven.

dmax 08-10-2012 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bski111 (Post 14641863)
i have an 02 325ci and want to upgrade for more power. i recently installed an intake and felt a slight but not impressive gain. any ideas on cost effective mods with maximum gains, exhaust or tune possibly?

If you want an impressive gain, push the right pedal down further. Works for me every time...it really does.

Techron and gummi pflege is all you need besides this little trick!

You're welcome!

jneumann 08-10-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choxor (Post 14642195)
This isn't a Civic. These cars are pretty well optimized from the factory. If you want actual gains you're going to have to shell out the cash.

This.





Quote:

Originally Posted by DHK (Post 14642478)
No offense meant, you may well know how to drive a high reving car but... A lot of people who want to increase power don't understand how to apply what they already have to the road anyway. These aren't muscle cars they aren't going to feel fast in normal driving conditions. Their real power band is the 4500-6200 RPM range, I think a lot of people are afraid to drive their cars like they are meant to be driven.


And this.




Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 14642494)
If you want an impressive gain, push the right pedal down further. Works for me every time...it really does.

Techron and gummi pflege is all you need besides this little trick!

You're welcome!

And this too, maybe coupled with downshifting a gear or two.

If you drive like a granny, e.g. never go over 5k, (or the previous owner did), throw a full bottle of Techron in a 1/2 tank of 93 octane and go beat the everloving crap out of it on some back roads until you need more fuel. Did wonders for my Z4 after it sat for 3 years in the PO's garage. Idled far better and the butt dyno said it was faster. Techron didn't do much for my 323i though, I'm assuming because I've driven it hard the whole time I've had it, as well as the PO, going back to ~60k miles.

Otherwise, headers are about all you can do for cheap. Only other NA mod I can think of that gives good gains are ZHP cams. ($$) Non OEM intakes have actually been known to decrease power. 3.46 diff is good, but not actually a power gain; it just changes how the power is put down. Still not a bad idea though.

Edit: Oh, and the M54B30 intake manifold is a pretty good option too, for the 2.5L.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Bimmer App

ac_2007 08-10-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatGuy_JZ (Post 14641930)
I saw a thread with eBay headers showing a dyno proven 7 hp on a 325.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Bimmer App

Really? Because I saw 11whp, which equates to about 13 at the flywheel.


http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=490864

BMW_CRAZY 09-01-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatGuy_JZ (Post 14641901)
You're better off getting a 3:46 rear end from an automatic, assuming you have a 5 speed. You'll feel that and spend less then you would on a tune.

Best mod I've done, but match it with a short shifter. I went affordable at understeer.com

And I have intake, muffler, and pulleys. Didn't feel crap from any of it. Sounds nice though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Bimmer App

Sounds good but I live in New Jersey were you get snow at winter time by changing the rear end would the be safe or a real pain to drive?

JasonLI25t 09-01-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMW_CRAZY (Post 14697978)
Sounds good but I live in New Jersey were you get snow at winter time by changing the rear end would the be safe or a real pain to drive?

i'm not sure why you think changing the rear end will have any impact on your car's performance in the snow.

Jay146992 09-01-2012 04:08 PM

I got a tune from AA for my 330i and I noticed a little difference but IMO not worth $500.

BMW_CRAZY 09-01-2012 10:41 PM

I was thinking it would slide too much or something ... So adding a automatic rear end to my manual will make a good difference? I'm going to try this :-)

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use