E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What's the best way to fix rusty rock chips on hood ? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=939982)

adaseb 08-21-2012 01:15 PM

What's the best way to fix rusty rock chips on hood ?

2 Attachment(s)
I had Clear bra on before but I took it off because it turned yellow and started peeling

What is the best way to fill these rock chip holes is there some product that can dissolve the Rust and then I can apply touch up paint over it

And yes I already ordered a new BMW emblem

lsteg 08-21-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adaseb (Post 14668925)
I had Clear bra on before but I took it off because it turned yellow and started peeling

What is the best way to fill these rock chip holes is there some product that can dissolve the Rust and then I can apply touch up paint over it

And yes I already ordered a new BMW emblem

+ 1 on new emblem

I know guys who just got it re-painted and had them put a few more coats of clear on the front bumper and hood to try and cut back on this. He was happy with it.

If there is already rust forming you want to get that cleaned out or it will continue to rust.

I'm sure there are some topical treatments for this issue but I'd have more peace of mind just getting them all fixed the right way. Hopefully others have some alternatives for you.

MercForHire 08-21-2012 01:34 PM

Should have touched up with paint before the rust form. Check car for chips weekly

dmax 08-21-2012 01:55 PM

Clean and wax. There's no fighting them. What you're experiencing is nothing but inevitability. Embrace it proudly. BMW wears that roughness very well I think.

Just replace the entire cooling system...that's the best thing you can do for your hood.

Lusticles 08-21-2012 04:22 PM

Touch up paint. I bought a white from Advanced Auto for like 3$ on sale and it matches enough to where the difference isn't noticeable. I think it was a GM color.

Grande D 08-21-2012 04:27 PM

BMW touch up paint or Dr. Color Chip for the actual touch up.

Getting rid of the rust? Here is how. I am not asking I'm telling. I don't want anyone to refute this because it is 100% true.

Iron X paste (it sticks better than the spray) is typically used to remove iron particles from paint that come from cities and railroad tracks. It dissolves rust without damaging paint.

http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-iron-x-paste-150.html

Wash the car. Apply the paste to the chip. Let it sit as the directions state. Use a wax removing small soft bristle brush (or a firm toothbrush) that you can find on ag or at your local auto parts store. Yes- it'll swirl the paint a bit (really not very much if you're careful) but that can be corrected later. Literally rinse and repeat until you see bare metal.

Then wash the whole hood again. Dry it and wipe down all touch up areas with a 25% IPA/water mix, and apply the touch up paint.

BTW it smells like shiiiit- and there really isn't a substitute or alternate product to the paste version.

JimC-NH 08-21-2012 07:44 PM

Bavarian auto has a good Video on this. Go to www.bavauto.com and check it out under the DIY videos.

This is not an endorsement of bavauto - but they have a good video on fixing paint chips and using different paint products, including rusty rock chips.

Jim

Sweetness 08-21-2012 11:42 PM

I LOL with the syringes they sell to replace chips and all that. It takes like 1 hour to fix 3 chips that will come back the next day. Just repaint it, and add some filler in the front for reinforcement

Zell 08-22-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 14669077)
Embrace it proudly. BMW wears that roughness very well I think.

Ehhhhhhhh my bumper has seen better days :P I can't wait to get it and my hood refinished.

MercForHire 08-22-2012 01:04 AM

Put the car bra back on. If you can't see it, it's no longer a problem.

Nervous 08-22-2012 01:56 AM

http://www.drcolorchip.com/

Zell 08-22-2012 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nervous (Post 14670743)

!!!!!

Maybe I won't need to do expensive refinishing afterall.

dmax 08-22-2012 05:16 AM

I tried drcolorchip. Meh.

There are threads on it here...sorry...it's not quite so good.

peytonracer4 08-22-2012 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 14670907)
I tried drcolorchip. Meh.

There are threads on it here...sorry...it's not quite so good.

My dad has a dark blue z3 that we tried dr colorchip on with great results.
Completely got rid of minor chips and masked the larger ones.
From our experience Id recommend it strongly.
Hood and bumper went from sand blasted to almost perfect.

dmax 08-22-2012 05:27 AM

Peyton, I tried it, followed directions, and got horrible results.

If I left it on too short a time it wiped off. Too long a time, it wouldn't come off easily from where I didn't want it.

Please, if you recall...how did you apply it? I've still got mine sitting around from 5 years ago...I'd give it a shot again based on your endorsement!

peytonracer4 08-22-2012 05:36 AM

Id have to talk to my dad and ask him about it.
I'll also check the box as its only a year old and maybe the applicator is different or possibly the directions as well.
I'll get back to this thread to let you know, but I watched him do it. When he wiped the excess paint the pits were filled in and 95% completely disappeared.
Maybe your pits are too large? Don't take that the wrong way.

lsteg 08-22-2012 07:29 AM

People on this site have a very strong conviction about "doing things right the first time" and not "cutting corners" when it comes to the upkeep and maintenance of their cars.

It shocks me that this many people are willing to take a cheap way out when it comes to their paint job.

HiHoBrian 08-22-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsteg (Post 14671035)
People on this site have a very strong conviction about "doing things right the first time" and not "cutting corners" when it comes to the upkeep and maintenance of their cars.

It shocks me that this many people are willing to take a cheap way out when it comes to their paint job.

It is shocking that someone would use touch up paint to.....touch up a paint job on a 10,year old car? Well this is the internet I guess.
+1 for BAV Auto vid and supply of matching paint kits. Or you can save $1500 up for a new paint job. But instead of paying for a paint job,buy a crappier car to park in front of your car so the Bmw looks better!:D

sent from my ATARI sc1224

lsteg 08-22-2012 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiHoBrian (Post 14671048)
It is shocking that someone would use touch up paint to.....touch up a paint job on a 10,year old car? Well this is the internet I guess.
+1 for BAV Auto vid and supply of matching paint kits. Or you can save $1500 up for a new paint job. But instead of paying for a paint job,buy a crappier car to park in front of your car so the Bmw looks better!:D

sent from my ATARI sc1224

Touch up paint is fine if there isn't already rust forming like in the OP's picture. You can touch that up all you want but the fact is the rust will spread.

And to paint the hood will not cost $1500.

DBrown 08-22-2012 09:32 AM

If the chip is small I just take my Dremel and diamond tip etching tool and grind out the small amount of rust. Use touch up paint then clear and buff it a few days later. Looks like new and if you have a Dremel and buffer costs about 8 bucks.

I got the my hood painted last year for 200 bucks with an extra 100 for 2 more coats of clear. Might be worth it to get it repainted