E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General Off-Topic (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   considering a move to USA (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=940403)

Brem46 08-23-2012 02:33 PM

considering a move to USA

Hi Guys...

bit of a thought has been set in my head really and i wondered if i could get some advice directly from the people who live there.

recently we went on a vacation to california (absolutely fantastic) and we began living the day dream of buying a holiday home and returning...

we began looking at prices and exploring this semi seriously, we figured it out financially we would be better off and get a better quality of life if we did make the plunge full time to America.

at the moment, i live just outside of central london and own a 5 bed detached house, nothing baller but big enough to feel good about and the garden us big enough for our 2 children and dog.

the dilema we have is that, whilst our childeren are young enough for us to make the move and blend in quickly (one is 2 and one is 11 weeks) how would this change effect them.

i dont want to get into changing passports etc because i do have a lawyer who can handle that and im sure i can gain enough advice from consulates etc...

but in the UK i own 3 successful businesses and can prove i am financially viable, i do have an interested party in purchasing these businesses from myself which would mean i had more liquid funds to either purchase in the USA or invest...

the lifestyle i had in California was a relaxed one and one of luxury which i rarely get in the UK working 65 + hours per week, i have began to think of late that the past years where i have worked every single day all hours that are sent my way that i want to relax a bit more, cut down my hours and spend some quality time with my kids as they grow up money is fantastic we would all agree on that but i cant buy family life with it.

i have no idea what i would do when i get to america (if it did go ahead) but i do know i would want to relax a while, alot of countries stipulate that you must be self reliant in order for your residency to be agreed

i am seriously considering this move to California, would you guys have any tips or pointers, disagreements or any advice of another state to consider?

by no means to do i want to chase a lifestyle set out in 90210, i just want a good standard of life and be able to spend some quality time with my kids which is drawing me more into making this decision.

Mike Larry 08-23-2012 02:38 PM

dont let the laidback lifestyle of california fool you. if you want to move to another country because you're sick of the 65+ hours you're working per week, america is the last place you wanna go.

Mayo 08-23-2012 02:41 PM

If you live in the USA, you will be shot at

TruckDaddy 08-23-2012 02:42 PM

http://cdn2.screenjunkies.com/wp-con...ster-thumb.jpg

JTLaz 08-23-2012 02:45 PM

Seems like you know what you want. I would just choose a state other than CA

v8 5 08-23-2012 02:46 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfbxczq1xzA

albeee 08-23-2012 02:51 PM

I doubt you will be working less. Weather is nice, though.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Bimmer App

Redline 08-23-2012 02:56 PM

If you want to live comfortably and in a nice area. Id live on the east coast. Florida is nice. You can get a big house for little money and soth florida has nice beaches/weather. In California everything is overpriced and overpopulated/congested...nice to visit, not to live there IMO

BimmerJustin 08-23-2012 02:58 PM

Im trying to move from Arizona to Toronto....Its a difficult step but possible. Good Luck!

benjamin1 08-23-2012 02:59 PM

I'd look at any other state

MagicFan 08-23-2012 02:59 PM

You know there are other states in America that are just as good as Cali, and the cost of living is less too *cough* Indiana

v8 5 08-23-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ///M=Power (Post 14674863)
If you want to live comfortably and in a nice area. Id live on the east coast. Florida is nice. You can get a big house for little money and soth florida has nice beaches/weather. In California everything is overpriced and overpopulated/congested...nice to visit, not to live there IMO

It's great to live here. I would live in Florida, but hurricanes alone scare me away. Some people say California is prone to earthquakes, but only recently out of the last 5 or so years have I felt 2 minor ones. Not only that, the mid west (i.e. east coast near TN) will become the new hotbed of earthquake activity.

As far as being overpopulated, it's much less than the far east coast. I've battled the worst of Los Angeles traffic, it's not that bad.

Overpriced, I wouldn't even go there, I'm not trying to slam you for your age all the time, but really - you don't know what you're talking about.

ThumperNC24 08-23-2012 03:15 PM

Cali would actually probably be a cut in cost of living and taxes compared to London - however california is one of (if not the most) expensive state to live in the US. I would suggest another spot as well. Politics there are also very liberal, maybe not as much as London but as far as the US goes....

How do you feel about Tennessee or the Carolinas? Pick up a nice lake house in one of those states for relatively cheap and relax away...

albeee 08-23-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ///M=Power (Post 14674863)

Overpriced? Dude, OP is from London. He would know what "expensive" feels like. Congested? Uh...what part of CA have you been to? LA is congested but, it's a major city, no sh!t it's gonna be congested.

v8 5 08-23-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThumperNC24 (Post 14674925)
Cali would actually probably be a cut in cost of living and taxes compared to London - however california is one of (if not the most) expensive state to live in the US. I would suggest another spot as well. Politics there are also very liberal, maybe not as much as London but as far as the US goes....

How do you feel about Tennessee or the Carolinas? Pick up a nice lake house in one of those states for relatively cheap and relax away...

IMO coming from the UK he's tired of seeing a sky that's even remotely grey. Southern California is really only 1 season all year around, 75F summer clear skies.

albeee 08-23-2012 03:19 PM

LOL London is too dreary. Which is a pity, their residents are some of the nicest people when I visited.

v8 5 08-23-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjamin1 (Post 14674876)
I'd look at any other state

You're from Tacoma, WA. The city with the highest suicides in the nation :lmao: Internet never ceases to amaze me in opinions.

Eliott's-BMW 08-23-2012 03:21 PM

Long live the queen?

5ynd1cat3 08-23-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicFan (Post 14674877)
You know there are other states in America that are just as good as Cali, and the cost of living is less too *cough* Indiana

This. Stay the hell away from California unless you like being butt raped by the cost of living. Indiana is a nice choice, Ohio too (biased, I know). Do your research and choose wisely.

You could always move to Cali, get butt raped, then wake up one morning and say, "Hey, those guys on e46f were right! I have 49 other states to choose from that are way less oppressive than the land of movie stars and broken dreams!" at which point you shall whisk away your bleach blonde plasticized chick to, say, Texas where you would then begin to enjoy what 'Murica is all about! :thumbup:

TruckDaddy 08-23-2012 03:28 PM

Ah Yes, Ohio. The state with great cities no one wants to go to.