E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   SMG Tips and Tricks (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=941508)

roadtrip1098 08-29-2012 09:51 AM

SMG Tips and Tricks

If you need troubleshooting, go here.

This thread is only for tips and tricks to activate features of the SMGII transmission. If you have more to add, by all means go ahead. Please try to keep the same type of formatting as below. I know a few other tricks that I will add over time, but this is a start.

Disclaimer: All information on this thread is publicly sourced and is not guaranteed or to be held liable in any way. In other words, if you break your sh** it isn't our fault.

Soft Reset: Confirmed: Travel at 40+ MPH, move the selector lever to "N", pull back on both paddles for 8-10 seconds, move the selector lever back to "D".

Winter Mode: Confirmed: Put car in "D", Traction control "On", Sports Mode "Off", Drive Logic at level 1.
Warning: This will cause premature clutch wear as the car attempts to start off in 2nd gear.

Hill Hold: Confirmed: While on a hill and in "S" mode, pull back and hold the "-" paddle until RPM's elevate. This will partially engage the clutch and hold you on the hill.
Warning: Again, pre-mature clutch wear. If you're not moving within 1-2 seconds of using this, you shouldn't be using it.

Emergency Acceleration Mode: Confirmed: "D" Mode "A" on some models. This is just a special mode BMW put in as a "safety feature" Basically just mat the gas. Traction control and clutch engagement will operate in such a way that the vehicle accelerates at its optimum ability for the given conditions.

Westrace 08-29-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Winter Mode: Confirmed: Put car in "D", Traction control "On", Sports Mode "Off", Drive Logic at level 1.
Warning: This will cause premature clutch wear as the car attempts to start off in 2nd gear.
Are you sure this will cause premature clutch wear?

roadtrip1098 08-30-2012 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westrace (Post 14691539)
Are you sure this will cause premature clutch wear?

Yes. The car starts off in second gear and has a longer engagement time to keep the wheels from slipping. It would be the same result as if you drove any manual car and slipped 2nd every time you took off. Unfortunately this will cause premature wearing of the clutch - mind you it's not drastic, but it does exist. In my honest opinion, the benefits of Winter Mode are worth it.

rcsummers 08-30-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtrip1098 (Post 14691888)
Yes. The car starts off in second gear and has a longer engagement time to keep the wheels from slipping. It would be the same result as if you drove any manual car and slipped 2nd every time you took off. Unfortunately this will cause premature wearing of the clutch - mind you it's not drastic, but it does exist. In my honest opinion, the benefits of Winter Mode are worth it.

Winter mode is great. But its only needed if you get caught out when its snowing. I've only had to ever use it once.

tehcbass 09-26-2012 09:21 AM

i think its usefull, i dont need to use it since im in miami though ;)

///mteknikk 12-17-2012 05:04 PM

launch control: turn off traction control, put car in manual mode, sport on, smg in mode 6, hold shifter in the "-" position and hold accelerator down, rpms jump and fluctuate from 1500-2000 rpm. let go of shifter and car launches

scca_ziptie 12-17-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtrip1098 (Post 14689158)
Soft Reset: Confirmed: Travel at 40+ MPH, move the selector lever to "N", pull back on both paddles for 8-10 seconds, move the selector lever back to "D".

Really only needs to be for 5 seconds max.

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtrip1098 (Post 14689158)
Hill Hold: Confirmed: While on a hill and in "S" mode, pull back and hold the "-" paddle until RPM's elevate. This will partially engage the clutch and hold you on the hill.
Warning: Again, pre-mature clutch wear. If you're not moving within 1-2 seconds of using this, you shouldn't be using it.

It will deactivate/disengage this feature automatically after approx 4 seconds if the car doesn't move.

Both are definitely cool tips though, use them both quite often - so far no issues have arisen with the clutch (80k and going strong) :thumbsup:

roadtrip1098 12-18-2012 04:50 AM

I say 8-10 seconds because normally people are freaking out and count too fast but you are 100% correct on both accounts.

Firstboost 12-18-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by scca_ziptie (Post 14988269)
Really only needs to be for 5 seconds max.

Honestly, unless I'm losing it, you don't even have to be at 40+ MPH. I prefer to do my soft resets coasting to a stop that way it can start all over again reengaging the clutch in 1st instead of finding a gear at a given MPH.

In regards to the Uphill Assist,, or "hill hold" as you've called it.. You can easily tap the paddle again to disengage if you don't intend on moving within 1-2 seconds. It's nice for me because I have a right turn on red on my way to work and sometimes I can use it, others I have to disengage because someone will be flying down the street when I think I have an opening.

NICKBRUM 12-18-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ///mteknikk (Post 14987779)
launch control: turn off traction control, put car in manual mode, sport on, smg in mode 6, hold shifter in the "-" position and hold accelerator down, rpms jump and fluctuate from 1500-2000 rpm. let go of shifter and car launches

Sport mode on or off will not affect LC.

m3e46freak 12-18-2012 09:49 PM

What is this... last emergency acceleration? D or A mode?

ANREC330 12-18-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firstboost (Post 14990511)
In regards to the Uphill Assist,, or "hill hold" as you've called it.. You can easily tap the paddle again to disengage if you don't intend on moving within 1-2 seconds. It's nice for me because I have a right turn on red on my way to work and sometimes I can use it, others I have to disengage because someone will be flying down the street when I think I have an opening.

I wish I would have known this last Saturday when I was in San Francisco. I had to constantly hold the brake and give it gas at the same time, just so I wouldn't hit the car behind me.