E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Rear end torque, thump. (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=942050)

bmwci323 08-31-2012 09:03 PM

Rear end torque, thump.
 
My issue has been persistent since I bought the car, diff bushings changed , subframe reinforced.

If I don't do a smooth clutch release or clutch depress , I will get a thump,thud.

I have taken videos while releasing the clutch and thumping the diff, each video was taken on separate mounting points and overall diff views

An odd point to add - the thump isn't apparent underneath the vehicle in the back . It's loud and distinct while sitting in the cabin , but theres no such noise underneath, only the click off the half shafts.
There is complete movement happening on my whole rear end. Exhaust , shocks and springs will compress a good inch , but there differential is solid in place.
This problem has just been such a nuisance

Maybe it's spring shock related? What about tranny mounts?

choxor 08-31-2012 09:48 PM

Get it on a lift.

E46_330i_Stud 08-31-2012 09:59 PM

Stabbing in the dark here but like ^ said, get it on a lift and check the Guido, driveshaft & also the shock mounts. That should be a good start at least.

bmwci323 08-31-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46_330i_Stud (Post 14696666)
Stabbing in the dark here but like ^ said, get it on a lift and check the Guido, driveshaft & also the shock mounts. That should be a good start at least.

I hope I dont have a Guido under my car, on second thought..

Yeah ill check it out, my shock mounts are in good shape.

bmwci323 09-02-2012 06:38 PM

Well my shock mounts are fine, as for the tranny mounts, the fluid has leaked out of both of them. Therefor, I'm going to take a video of them while engaging the thump.

peytonracer4 09-02-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwci323 (Post 14696785)
I hope I dont have a Guido under my car, on second thought..

Yeah ill check it out, my shock mounts are in good shape.

He meant guibo. It's the flex disk between the trans and driveshaft. There should be no cracks or signs of wear on it.

bmwci323 09-02-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peytonracer4 (Post 14700015)
He meant guibo. It's the flex disk between the trans and driveshaft. There should be no cracks or signs of wear on it.

Hah. Yeah I know what it is. I had to get a new bolt for it since one was missing, I ended up buying a new one anyways, because I thought it was worn.
I might just install it for the hell of it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use