E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Car Care & Detailing (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Plasti Dip for the quebec winter? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=942087)

drift.mechanic 09-01-2012 01:00 AM

Plasti Dip for the quebec winter?

Unfortunately, it looks like I'll be driving my baby this winter. I hate the idea because she is mint, inside and out.

So I had an idea, the subframe is being reinforced in the fall so I'll be gravel guarding and painting the undercarriage. I've done this before and in the spring, there are no signs of winter anywhere.

Ok so that takes care of underneath. But the body is pristine. So I thought of plasti dipping the whole outside of the car in a matte white or matte black to help repel the salt and road grime from the winter, and in the spring after the roads are all swept, peel it off.

What's your thoughts? I haven't used plasti dip yet, people either love it or hate it with a passion.

Remember this is a temporary thing for about 5 months or so. It will get rinsed regularly during the winter but not washed. I just want to keep it as clean as possible.

Scenario 2, I just say "f$"k it" and don't do the dip, come spring, treat it to a carbon hood, csl bumper kit, and paint.

The plasti dip is a fraction of the cost of the hold and bumper option. And any penny pinching for the next 6 months would be great seeing I just got possession of my new house after a separation (that cost me a bundle too).

Thanks for the opinions guys

drift.mechanic 09-01-2012 09:17 PM

No thoughts?

serdar255 09-02-2012 01:28 AM

I wouldn't do it, but if you are going to do it right https://www.dipyourcar.com/product.p...&cat=15&page=1 come with a high quality spray gun. So when you have to do it again you just get the dip.

mkodama 09-02-2012 01:33 AM

I have master teh E46. NOW I MASTER THE PLASTIDIP!

2000_328CI 09-02-2012 09:07 AM

Well the dip would be cheaper than buying, painting, and installing new parts.

cchrisstopherr 09-04-2012 10:20 PM

i say do it, if not the full car just the lower half color matched. its just temporary anyway, im going to do my rims before winter. either that or 3m clear

drift.mechanic 09-08-2012 12:16 AM

Thanks for the opinions guys, I think I'm going to do the lower half of the car, basically follow the window line down.

Should do the trick to keep that salty **** they spread around here

SLVR JDM 09-11-2012 04:12 PM

I can't imagine it is worth the effort to do this, but I guess if you are that much in love with your 323 and want to spend the time, go for it.
It is a car. Cars get dirty and salty in the winter.

drift.mechanic 09-11-2012 04:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's a car and it's gets dirty, that's a fact. But Quebec winters suck, always have and getting worse.

Its not about being in love with the car, it's about keeping the paint in as great shape as it is now. It's a mirror finish, and it's gonna stay that way if I can help it.

And if 100$ in PLASTIDIP will prevent some damage, then so be it.

Attachment 468723

alpine003 09-12-2012 04:02 PM

Since you have a green color, might wanna consider clear Plastidip. That way it blends more and doesn't look out of place.

I'm sure Chicago winters aren't as bad but I generally put on my mud guards which help quite a bit with rocks/gravel/salt being thrown up on the sides of the cars. I would probably just hit the parts that generally get the brunt of debris like hood/roof/front bumper and maybe the rocker areas. If you just concentrate on these areas, it will def not cost you $100 for winter paint protection.

Also getting a soft bristle snow brush helps too. Make sure to have some quality paint sealant(at least 2 layers) on beforehand as well.

I've been doing well with Klasse Sealer with Collinite 845 on top for the past few winters.

Grande D 09-12-2012 08:25 PM

Why not apply opti-coat to the paint? It is practically impermeable to any chemical (besides bird poop!), and it'll protect in a similar fashion.

drift.mechanic 09-17-2012 09:22 AM

I've never used opti-coat before, good idea.
Regardless of the product, I'm putting something on this winter.

alpine003 09-17-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drift.mechanic (Post 14737583)
I've never used opti-coat before, good idea.
Regardless of the product, I'm putting something on this winter.

Everyone has their preferences for various paint sealants.

Just got done putting on AIO, Ultima Paint Guard, Klasse SG, Collinite 845 for the winter in various combos on different panels to see what is the best combo for me.

Also still have a gallon of ONR but honestly, after trying Ultima Waterless Wash+, that is my new favorite QD/WW.