E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   She won't let in! Need help to convince her! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=942178)

Barbaros 09-01-2012 05:22 PM

She won't let in! Need help to convince her!

Hey guys! I recently picked my car up from the bodyshop and now I just realized that my central lock does not work. I have to lock all the doors manually and use the key to lock/unlock the driver side door. I also have to use the key to lock/unlock the trunk. The worst part is that I really need to gas my car but I can't do that too since the gas cap is left locked!!! I tried using the green plastic emergency wire that is located in the trunk to pop it open but it broke. I really need some help guys!! Thanks in advance!

dmax 09-01-2012 05:27 PM

For the gas...remove the panel on the right side of trunk behind battery tray...you should be able to figure out how to release gas cap directly without that cord. I haven't done it, but know you'll be able to figure it out.

On the rest...take back to body shop and ask them what they might have done that caused this. Could be, I suppose, battery is dead from not being in the car for a while...you have another key?

You might try removing switch to see if it got unplugged...but based on exterior painting, not sure why that would be.

Looks like the car came out nice...hope you like it!

Barbaros 09-01-2012 05:35 PM

Didn't even get to actually see how that cord works to release the cap. I have no idea what it does to it an how it works. Now I have to improvise without breaking things. Also I would rather try and fix the central lock myself. All the door panels were removed as well I believe something was left unplugged there, but I am not sure what that is.

Stinger9 09-01-2012 06:06 PM

Computer bus connection can be tricky on these cars. When I had bodywork done on the driver's side and they messed with the mirror, that messed up the passenger side mirror remote operation.
Had to go to the dealer to get a software update for the mirrors!

Get some gas now!

dmax 09-01-2012 07:38 PM

For the gas cap, you'll probably find where the end of the cord extends over to the gas door mechanism.

Somewhere around the gas door...on the 'lock side' not hinge side, you'll find a 'thingy' that you should be able to pull/push/ etc and at least get you gas until you figure the rest out.

Wish I could help you with central locking, but I bet the shop would have an idea of what they did/didn't do...bet it's simple.

mtnbound 09-01-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 14698233)
Could be, I suppose, battery is dead from not being in the car for a while...you have another key?

This was my first thought as well.

How long was the car with the shop?

Barbaros 09-01-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 14698470)
For the gas cap, you'll probably find where the end of the cord extends over to the gas door mechanism.

Somewhere around the gas door...on the 'lock side' not hinge side, you'll find a 'thingy' that you should be able to pull/push/ etc and at least get you gas until you figure the rest out.

Wish I could help you with central locking, but I bet the shop would have an idea of what they did/didn't do...bet it's simple.

I finally figured how to pop it open from inside the trunk. It was exactly as you said. Thank you. I got gas right away lol. 4 miles before it was drained!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnbound (Post 14698491)
This was my first thought as well.

How long was the car with the shop?

I have the older type of key which has battery in it. I believe the diamond shaped key does not have a battery located in it, it gets charged when in ignition(?).

dmax 09-01-2012 08:24 PM

Ah, then a new battery might solve your problem...go to radio shack tomorrow...and have some small phillips head screwdriver...very easy to replace the battery...and you need it for the fob buttons to work. Though, you say that the central lock doesn't work, so I don't think it's the battery so much anymore...though I'm not sure how this system works.

Glad you got gas!

Oh, also for grins, maybe you or someone locked your glovebox so that the trunk button and central locking won't work (I think).

Try turning the key in glovebox the other direction it's in...I think vertical is unlocked...horizontal is locked. Might be something stupid like that.

fiveightandten 09-01-2012 11:34 PM

Does the central locking button on the center console work?

Barbaros 09-02-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiveightandten (Post 14698801)
Does the central locking button on the center console work?

No it does not work.

fiveightandten 09-02-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbaros (Post 14698845)
No it does not work.

Did they do any welding on the car? Did they take any interior components out (door cards, center console)?

Check the switch that senses the hood is closed (in front of the open box area in the engine bay) to make sure the hood is actuating that. Take note of if the interior lights are turning on when you open up the driver's door, passenger side door, and trunk (and the indicators are illuminating on the dash)

If that stuff looks normal, disconnect the battery, turn the headlight switch to the parking light position, wait a few minutes, turn it back off, reconnect the battery. See if that resets it.

jasonbimmer 09-02-2012 12:43 PM

fix the button and replace the battery in the key. these are pretty common issues.

fiveightandten 09-02-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonbimmer (Post 14699577)
fix the button and replace the battery in the key. these are pretty common issues.

This is true. But what are the chances of the button and the key battery both working fine before he brought it to the body shop, then both failing simultaneously while it was there?