E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Engine help please? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=942455)

Mjames22 09-03-2012 10:35 AM

Engine help please?

So i was about less than a minute away, on my way home, when I heard sort of a muffled pop
I slowed down and listened as I drove home. I didn't hear any strange noises, and no engine lights or anything else out of the ordinary.
I popped the hood and it looked like water had been squirted all over the upper hand drivers side of the engine. and underneath the engine(drivers side) there was a small puddle.
I was thinking a hose?? Its pretty hard to tell where exactly the water was shooting out from.
Can anyone give me some advice on what this may be?
also the coolant light had been turning on and off the past week every once and awhile when I would drive on the freeway, even after I had topped off the coolant levels.

Any help would be appreciated
thank you

dmax 09-03-2012 10:41 AM

Don't drive the car until you fix this...topping up the coolant doesn't count.

Bet you that your ET just popped...and there might be a reason why it popped other than it was just old...might be some other problem with cooling system.

Depending on your mileage, you could replace most of the cooling system (minus radiator) for $300 in parts, a few hours reading, and a few hours diying. That's your best solution.

If you want a less expensive solution, you'd need to read more so you can properly diagnose your failure.

Do not drive...you have a cooling system failure and it could lead to your needing thousands of dollars of repair or engine replacement...seriously.

Blocked Out 09-03-2012 10:43 AM

expansion tank blew open

Mjames22 09-03-2012 10:58 AM

ooh yes, I definitely wont be driving it knowing theres a cooling problem,
not here in phx where its hot as hell.
Replacing the coolant systems sounds like a damn good idea.
there's 150,000 miles on that car.
Before I bought the car I had a trusted mechanic check out the engine.
I was told It looked to be in great condition. buuutt
You guys think you could give me some more recommendations on
any other engine tune ups that I may need?
all the hoses and belts that are visible look pretty brand new.

thanks! you help is appreciated!

Steven747 09-03-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 14701187)
Don't drive the car until you fix this...topping up the coolant doesn't count.

Bet you that your ET just popped...and there might be a reason why it popped other than it was just old...might be some other problem with cooling system.

Depending on your mileage, you could replace most of the cooling system (minus radiator) for $300 in parts, a few hours reading, and a few hours diying. That's your best solution.

If you want a less expensive solution, you'd need to read more so you can properly diagnose your failure.

Do not drive...you have a cooling system failure and it could lead to your needing thousands of dollars of repair or engine replacement...seriously.

that is a perfect way of presenting the solution to op's problem :thumbsup:

if only everyone said it this way

Vandyinc 09-03-2012 12:48 PM

Nice reply Dmax. :woot:

OP: In addition to what Dmax said, Check out this thread from Mango:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=923563

:thumbsup:

dmax 09-03-2012 02:56 PM

OP, at 150K miles, I'd say toss another $150 radiator in there too...Behr is a good name.

Stay with OE components, especially for the therm and ET...if your belts look new, they may be...make sure they go back on the same way (note which way the lettering is and put them both back in the same direction).

Spin your pulleys...if free spinning, replace them--that's the two tensioner and 1 idler pulleys--make sure you know which tensioner type you have...hydraulic or mechanical as they require different pulleys--search 'pulleys' in thread title for help on that...very easy work...another 15-20 mins.

Yes, read Mango's thread...and read a few cooling system diys beyond that. Read until you feel a cold chill in your body. That's how you know you're ready! LOL

(Thanks for the props, guys...not sure what I said so well, but glad you appreciated it!)