E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   New England (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Moving to Cambridge/Boston!! Need Advice!! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=942531)

BMWuberwagon 09-03-2012 05:31 PM

Moving to Cambridge/Boston!! Need Advice!!

Hi guys,

I live in DC right now but will be taking a job in Cambridge, Mass. I was wondering if anyone here could give me some advice on places to live. I'm looking for places that are fun and have good nightlife for a single guy in his late 20s. After rent, utilities, and parking, etc., I'm budgeting 2300-2500 a month.

Also, I will be coming with my M3 so my plan was to just rent a parking spot in a garage just outside the city and use public transportation for going to work and getting around. I figure I will only be able to drive the car a few months in the year anyway.

I'm originally form Los Angeles and have been living in DC for the past year, so this will be a real transition weather wise since last year's winter was soft.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Arustik1 09-03-2012 05:37 PM

Laguna! Nice to see another E46 M3 coming to Boston area. I do real estate in the area and can help you find a rental. For $2500 you should be able to get something nice in Cambridge/Boston. Sending you a PM

iceberq 09-03-2012 06:06 PM

Whalecum another LSB!

Kendall Square in Cambridge is amazing if you can afford it. I lived there in 2011 when rent was $2600 for a 2-bedroom in Archstone Kendall Square. Now it has risen to ~$3500 so I moved out. Here is Archstone Kendall Square: http://www.archstoneapartments.com/A...endall_Square/

I recommend checking out Brookline, Massachusetts as it's a pleasant area and within the general boston area. Thus, you can take a taxi back home without spending a million bucks.

Also, look into the following locations:

Back Bay
South End (along Massachusetts Avenue)

Robbski 09-04-2012 11:12 AM

Somerville, Davis Square. Central Square Cambridge. South Boston.

JJR4884 09-04-2012 12:21 PM

Somerville is a great time and you are 20-30 min out of the city.

sna77 09-04-2012 08:42 PM

You couldn't pay me to live in Somerville--although if you dig wearing ball-hugging skinny jeans, you make like it. :) If you want to actually experience Boston, you go Back Bay, Beacon Hill, South End, North End.

A garage spot will cost you circa $200. But be careful--you may be on bus routes (not the subway) going from Boston to Cambridge so may want to keep your car closer. What part of Cambridge will you be in?

BTW, you can fully expect whatever place you rent to be a dump at that price point. Boston is fully of overpriced crummy apartments because of all the students. My suggestion is not to worry about it too much--find somewhere you can walk t--spend time in your neighborhood, not your apartment...

trizzuth 09-05-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sna77 (Post 14705267)
You couldn't pay me to live in Somerville--although if you dig wearing ball-hugging skinny jeans, you make like it. :) If you want to actually experience Boston, you go Back Bay, Beacon Hill, South End, North End.

A garage spot will cost you circa $200. But be careful--you may be on bus routes (not the subway) going from Boston to Cambridge so may want to keep your car closer. What part of Cambridge will you be in?

BTW, you can fully expect whatever place you rent to be a dump at that price point. Boston is fully of overpriced crummy apartments because of all the students. My suggestion is not to worry about it too much--find somewhere you can walk t--spend time in your neighborhood, not your apartment...

Hilarious! I used to live in Somerville with my sister awhile back when I was in between apartments. Near Davis Square is nice, or further out, but there are some crummy parts.

What Sna77 meant to say was "If you want to spend every single penny in your wallet, be apartment broke and not even be able to afford a 40oz of Haffenreffer, you go Back Bay, Beacon Hill, South End, North End."

azw131 09-05-2012 11:24 AM

I don't know if you've looked at it, but Allston might be a good area for you. My brother used to have an apartment there that was right in your price range. Theres lots of bars and restaurants, not to mention the BMW dealership is right there on Comm Ave :thumbsup:

sna77 09-05-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trizzuth (Post 14706555)
Hilarious! I used to live in Somerville with my sister awhile back when I was in between apartments. Near Davis Square is nice, or further out, but there are some crummy parts.

What Sna77 meant to say was "If you want to spend every single penny in your wallet, be apartment broke and not even be able to afford a 40oz of Haffenreffer, you go Back Bay, Beacon Hill, South End, North End."

My response to that of course, would be to get a better job. :) Plus then the women you meet aren't from Somerville (Trizzuth's sister excluded of course). ;)

JJR4884 09-05-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

spoken like the true old fart that you are ;)

nothing wrong with somerville, there are some decent spots that are half the price of back bay, especially right near davis.

Kubica 09-05-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Haha...Davis is actually not bad. The apartments around there are better than most of Somerville. It's tough to commute from the North End to Cambridge though. You couldn't pay me to live in the South End! Or Southie for that matter. Brookline isn't bad if you like boring chicks with cats. Late 20's is too old for Alston. Coming from DC, he might feel at home with all the d-bags in Beacon Hill.

OP- where exactly is your new office in Cambridge?

sna77 09-05-2012 07:19 PM

This convo is brilliant. :)

Solidjake 09-05-2012 07:22 PM

Newbury st!

adamdifilippo 09-05-2012 07:43 PM

I actually heard my M3 (on KW V2) cry this morning driving into government center. Don't know where you're working but good call not bringing yours into the city. Although there was zero parking spots at the t station this morning that's why I had to drive in. Then paid $35 for 2 hours parking. So get to the t stations early or if you're parking in the garage make sure there's always a spot for monthly pass holders!!

As far as nightlife. I haven't actually gone out here (been away for 5 years) but I heard Marina Bay in Quincy is really nice, although very classy and expensive. I also heard Club Guilt is good.

I love this city and I always said MA is awesome. But in reality it sucks balls. The state has too much control they limit freedom. Vehicle laws are stupid. Gun laws are painful! And everyone says mass state PD is such a respected and well trained and prepared organization, eh not so much after seeing them work. Hope you like it here!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

ShootyzGruve 09-05-2012 08:06 PM

Davis sq is a cool neighborhood. Plenty to do at night, easy red line trip to Harvard, Central and Porter.

Certain neighborhoods in Brighton are good for late 20 yo's. Oak Square is quieter than allston and has easy bus access to Cambridge (rt64), Kenmote sq (rt57), Copley (503) and financial (501). It's also close to the pike and soldiers field rd/storrow drive for easy commuting around and out of the city.

iceberq 09-05-2012 09:30 PM

1) I hear Marina Bay is trashy for nightlife.
2) Government center isn't too bad. I work right by there in the Financial District and have driven in occasionally.

sna77 09-06-2012 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceberq (Post 14708214)
1) I hear Marina Bay is trashy for nightlife.
2) Government center isn't too bad. I work right by there in the Financial District and have driven in occasionally.

Eeeks. Hard to have an intelligent conversation when someone lists Marina Bay nightlife as good. Eeeks. Waterworks (or whatever it is called now) is a breeding ground for trashy girls.

Arustik1 09-06-2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sna77 (Post 14708951)
Eeeks. Hard to have an intelligent conversation when someone lists Marina Bay nightlife as good. Eeeks. Waterworks (or whatever it is called now) is a breeding ground for trashy girls.

Haven't been there for a year or 2, but have heard the exact same thing.

Kubica 09-06-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamdifilippo (Post 14707987)
I heard Marina Bay in Quincy is really nice, although very classy and expensive.

I've never been but I can confirm this is not the case.

Let's just make sure Quincy is on the bottom of OP's list...

JJR4884 09-06-2012 01:17 PM

lol Marina Bay is a molly fest... so ya, not classy in the least bit lol