E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Home Improvement (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   How do you pick a water heater? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=943055)

CoconutPete 09-06-2012 08:01 AM

How do you pick a water heater?

I have a 40 gallon natural gas water heater.

It was manufactured in 1969 - yes 1969.

It's not on a drain pan so we've decided it's time for a new one and we are going to install a drain pan while we are at it.

Now .... this thing has been down there for 43 years making hot water. If there was a way to buy one that would last another 43 years I would gladly spend the coin, but it seems water heaters have gone the way of so many other things these days - seems no matter what you buy, you get 5-10 years out of them.

So ... is it really just a case of "buy whatever is on sale at Lowe's" for around $350 or is there a reason to spend $700 to $1000 on some of the ones I see at plumbersurplus.com?

Not going tankless by the way, just want to replace what's there.

BimmersGarage 09-06-2012 08:34 AM

^
That's impressive.

IMO there's really no need to spend more, the efficiency/insulation in the new units will do a good job for what you need.

Crestwood1001 09-06-2012 08:35 AM

For our house we have a tankless setup, the main reason for that is not energy savings but because of the size of the house, we have 4 full bathrooms, and the master bath has a 300 gallon spa tub, in the morning when everyone is getting ready for class/work you drain a 50 gallon tank fast so we upgraded. Plus you could not fill the spa with just 50 gallons.
Have had no issues so far, plus it saves energy and frees up a lot of space in the unfinished section of the basement

shwagon 09-06-2012 08:39 AM

^ Good information on the tankless.

CoconutPete 09-06-2012 09:14 AM

I'm not against a tankless setup, not at all - the fact is I am just not willing to spend the money right now. Within the next couple of years we will probably outgrow the space and put on an addition (which I would like) or move to a bigger house - either way, the needs for water will change as our family grows. Right now the house is just 1.5 baths and there are only 3 of us here and one of us is 5 months old, well 4 of us if you count my 8lb yorkie - but she only takes a shower once a week, so not much water usage from her.

Hence the reason for just wanting to replace the 40 gallon unit that is there. It sits between the furnace and the corner the electrical panel is in, you can't really do anything with that section of the basement anyway.

JonJon 09-06-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoconutPete (Post 14709068)
I have a 40 gallon natural gas water heater.

It was manufactured in 1969 - yes 1969.

Gross. There is probably so much corrosion and junk in there. Try not to throw up when you drain it and see what you've been drinking and showering in lol

Anything will be lightyears better. Longer the warranty basically means thicker and additional anode corrosion rods and thicker insulation/shell.

Really not much to a water heater.

CoconutPete 09-06-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonJon (Post 14709276)
Gross. There is probably so much corrosion and junk in there. Try not to throw up when you drain it and see what you've been drinking and showering in lol

Anything will be lightyears better. Longer the warranty basically means thicker and additional anode corrosion rods and thicker insulation/shell.

Really not much to a water heater.

What did you put in your house?

Yeah, i'm excited/scared to get it out of there at the same time. I don't drink the hot water by the way, regardless of how new the tank is, water that has been heated in the hot water heater is not meant for human consumption.