E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Seafoam....a nono? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=943086)

ChrisRedmon 09-06-2012 11:12 AM

Seafoam....a nono?

So i purchased the spray can and the open topped bottle. Only a few bucks.... I have searched high and low and have seen nothing about it being done to an e46 m3.....most likely for a good reason. I've helped my buddy do it on his e36 M. I WILL NOT put it in the crank case. Just....no. However vacuum line and gas tank doesn't seem like it could do to much damage. The previous owner was a ****ing fool. Im afraid he put shitty gas in mah baby at some point in time. Is this procedure frowned upon when it comes to the e46 M3? If so, for what reason?

Cheers

Alan 09-06-2012 11:31 AM

What problem are you trying to solve?

ChrisRedmon 09-06-2012 11:33 AM

The nagging thought that i could release some carbon deposits. Better my fuel economy. Acceleration. Idle. Car just ticked over 90k. I couldn't tell you what kind of gas the previous owner put in.

HiHoBrian 09-06-2012 11:53 AM

There have been internet wars on this subject. My opinion on It is
Senario 1-use sea foam and nothing happens,no harm done because it diddnt do anything.

Senario 2-use sea foam. It proves to be the best liquid deposit know to man. Carbon,sludge,debris all washed away! But wait,it went into the catalytic converters,left deposits in them,clogging and burning out the cats,and distorting the O2 sensor readings causing damage to 2 oem manifolds/cats and 4 oxygen sensors.
And that is if it actually worked.

Senario 3-Take the $9.00 to a local bar,buy an old highschool girlfriend a drink,chat her up and take her back to your place in your fancy BMW that already runs fine.

Choose wisely my friend.

sent from my ATARI sc1224

///MPR77 09-06-2012 12:05 PM

I put 2/3 of a bottle of the liquid SF in my crankcase 300 miles ago, and plan to change the oil in another 200 miles.

$9 can still get you a decent lunch though.

Go eat.

ChrisRedmon 09-06-2012 12:10 PM

Ive read multiple places you shouldnt leave it in the crankcase for more then a few miles as it deteriorates the viscosity of the oil.....i would take it out.

ChrisRedmon 09-06-2012 12:11 PM

Ill try and spray it in the vacuum line. Ill report back if i need a ride from someone hahahaha

HBizzo88 09-06-2012 12:21 PM

I poured half a can in my vacuum line. Revd the **** out of it till all the white smoke it produces was gone. Was definitely a noticeable change. Ran like new.

Edit: just to clarify. Pour in while running/reconnect vacuum line/shut off car/ let it sit for 3-5 minutes/then start up. Should run kind of rough. Just keep reving it till all the white smoke it gone(will be an overwhelming amount of smoke. Don't redline it though.

Do it in a place where no one will be around.

HiHoBrian 09-06-2012 12:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what happen when someone I used to know tried it....Attachment 467886

///MPR77 09-06-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisRedmon (Post 14709669)
Ive read multiple places you shouldnt leave it in the crankcase for more then a few miles as it deteriorates the viscosity of the oil.....i would take it out.

Oh ****, I haven't heard that.
Instinctively, I knew I didn't want it in there for too long.

Thanks will do, as I would like to see it roll over 300k which is roughly 5 thousand more miles.

HBizzo88 09-06-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ///MPR77 (Post 14709738)
Oh ****, I haven't heard that.
Instinctively, I knew I didn't want it in there for too long.

Thanks will do, as I would like to see it roll over 300k which is roughly 5 thousand more miles.

They say no more than 50miles in the crankcase then change oil. All the sludge should just pour out.

NIVO 09-06-2012 12:38 PM

Are you trying to clean up the intake manifold or the valvetrain/crankcase.

I have done both and it works but you do not want to leave the Seafoam product in there longer then 100 miles.

ChrisRedmon 09-06-2012 12:40 PM

No crankcase. Simply intake and whatever lines it will clean via gas tank. Anyone with an M3???????

HiHoBrian 09-06-2012 12:48 PM

I have an M3. Buy spark plugs instead.

HiHoBrian 09-06-2012 12:50 PM

Also a new fuel filter if you are worried about previous owners fuel contaminants.

ChrisRedmon 09-06-2012 12:53 PM

I have replaced all of the above along with coil packs/air filters. I don't know why i didn't see that you had an M3.....derp

KaliVertBoy 09-06-2012 02:45 PM

the thought of using seafoam in my car makes me cringe. It may work for some people but I dont have the balls to do it. I just use a bottle of techron with every oil change. and only use shell or chevron gas

xixixi 09-06-2012 02:59 PM

If you call seafoam, they say it has no negative effects being left in the car for a full oil change. They also said your oil may need to be changed more frequently, due to all the contaminates it's removing from your engine. Call them If you don't believe me.

"The most frequently asked question about using Sea Foam is as follows: “After using Sea Foam in my oil, fuel, or through the vacuum line (to clean deposits from the combustion chamber) do I need to change my oil?” The short answer is: No you don’t have to change your oil after using Sea Foam in any application.See more information about using Sea Foam in oil in the How To Use section of our web site

When using Sea Foam in your fuel or through the vacuum line for carbon cleaning your oil does not need to be changed. Using Sea Foam in your oil, at 1 ½ ounces per quart, is a safe way to clean a crankcase, quiet noisy lifters as you drive. Sea Foam is not a chemical engine flush and therefore, it will not damage internal engine components or plug the oil pick up screen. Sea Foam is a petroleum blend with no chemical additives and is safe for long term cleaning or short term pre-service cleaning.

"Sea Foam is a blend of highly refined additive oils and is compatible with all motor oils including synthetics. It is safe for all internal engine components and will not affect any seals, gaskets or o-rings. Sea Foam cleans oil deposits and varnish in your crankcase by safely/slowly re liquefying the old oil residue so contaminants may flow and be filtered. The longer Sea Foam is in your oil the cleaner your crankcase will become. When adding Sea Foam to clean oil, for long term maintenance cleaning, you must check your oil periodically for color and clarity, when your oil looks dirty change it. Because you added cleaning oil (Sea Foam) to your oil you may have to change oil before the expected service interval.

When adding Sea Foam to dirty oil before an oil change, for best results use 1 ½ ounces per quart of oil at least 100 miles before oil is changed."

I use this at every oil change, (about 2k miles) I put in about 5oz, leave it in there. Here is a picture of how clean my motor is... no dipped in gold looking sh!t.!

illestminimike 09-06-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaliVertBoy (Post 14710103)
the thought of using seafoam in my car makes me cringe. It may work for some people but I dont have the balls to do it. I just use a bottle of techron with every oil change. and only use shell or chevron gas

Exactly what I do.

wannasupra 09-06-2012 09:16 PM

haven't peered under the hood, i've only had the car a month or so, with individual throttle bodies, do we have a vacuum distribution point? or is it necessary to add seafoam to each cylinder individually via vacuum line?