E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Australia (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   No more tire rack to OZ? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=943889)

Rajvosa 09-10-2012 09:43 PM

No more tire rack to OZ?

Friend of mine ordered some tyres from tire rack.
Got money refunded and they said they don't ship to oz anymore. Apparently our government has stopped it due to "undercutting" the local market.

Wtf?!!?

DeclanM3 09-10-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajvosa (Post 14721086)
Friend of mine ordered some tyres from tire rack.
Got money refunded and they said they don't ship to oz anymore. Apparently our government has stopped it due to "undercutting" the local market.

Wtf?!!?

I heard from one of the 1 Addicts guys that they had issues importing Michellins.. :(

infini 09-10-2012 10:01 PM

I wouldn't have thought the Government go get away with doing something like that. Surely all they could do it introduce some sort of tariff right? and even if they were to do this, wouldn't need to be passed through parliament or something? I mean, how could your government actually stop a business based in another coutnry from doing business with us?

so much for globalisation and free trade...

BrisM3 09-10-2012 10:04 PM

I'm not sure how true that is guys.

Just ordered 4 tyres for my wife's car. Payment has been made and received and the tyres have already shipped.

I will let you know if for some reason they do not arrive.

Tim.

RaihaX 09-10-2012 10:06 PM

I guess I will just send it to my freight forwarder then.

Rajvosa 09-10-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrisM3 (Post 14721152)

Just ordered 4 tyres for my wife's car. Payment has been made and received and the tyres have already shipped.

Tim.

It's 100% true.
Good mate of mine.
Payment made and then they refunded it.

Gee Emm 09-10-2012 10:18 PM

We supposedly have a "free-trade" agreement with the USofA!?

I believe this scenario falls into that agreement?

Anyone here with real knowledge about this subject?

Graham

DeclanM3 09-10-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infini (Post 14721141)
I wouldn't have thought the Government go get away with doing something like that. Surely all they could do it introduce some sort of tariff right? and even if they were to do this, wouldn't need to be passed through parliament or something? I mean, how could your government actually stop a business based in another coutnry from doing business with us?

so much for globalisation and free trade...

I heard it wasn't a stop on Tirerack but more on Michellin tyres. Maybe there is more flexibility preventing 1 brand from entering the country as oppose to stopping a whole company from sending stuff in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrisM3 (Post 14721152)

Tim.

What brand tyres were they?

infini 09-10-2012 10:22 PM

your point is a good one Declan. Michelin and other tyre brands can do it as it affect their sales in other markets. But I'd be very surprised if the Government was responsible.

Just like you BMW is stopping a few US based dealers like tischer and so on from supplying parts to us over here.

fgin 09-10-2012 10:31 PM

Read this the other day which could be related to what the OP says
http://www.theage.com.au/national/on...908-25lex.html

In any case looks like we're going to lose the $1000 tax free threshold. :(

"A federal taskforce study has given support to lowering the $1000 threshold on GST on imported goods, saying the cost of collecting the revenue may not be as high as previously suggested by a Productivity Commission report."

Rajvosa 09-10-2012 10:33 PM

My mate was gonna order TOYO semi slicks.

Tire rack guy said he couldn't go into detail due to privacy act.

Is this possibly tire rack talking ****??

BrisM3 09-10-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajvosa (Post 14721250)
My mate was gonna order TOYO semi slicks.

Tire rack guy said he couldn't go into detail due to privacy act.

Is this possibly tire rack talking ****??

Possibly - anything is possible. I just love the "Privacy Act" stunt that everyone tries to play.

In any event I'll see what unfolds over the next few days and will report back.

BrisM3 09-10-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeclanM3 (Post 14721199)
I heard it wasn't a stop on Tirerack but more on Michellin tyres. Maybe there is more flexibility preventing 1 brand from entering the country as oppose to stopping a whole company from sending stuff in.

What brand tyres were they?

Nosey Parker!

Haha- they were Hankooks.

BrisM3 09-10-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajvosa (Post 14721185)
It's 100% true.
Good mate of mine.
Payment made and then they refunded it.

And can I just say Raj that I wasn't saying that you were speaking sh!t. Just saying that i didn't think it true that Tirerack was not shipping to Oz any more.

steve.k 09-10-2012 10:51 PM

If i heard right on 2GB the other day they mentioned the tax free threshold of $1000 will be reduced to $100 or something dramatic like that

YGOAMG 09-10-2012 10:58 PM

^ In that case they'll be writing alot of invoices for $99 on orders of Conti tyres!!

Rajvosa 09-10-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrisM3 (Post 14721287)
And can I just say Raj that I wasn't saying that you were speaking sh!t. Just saying that i didn't think it true that Tirerack was not shipping to Oz any more.

i know its cool.

im just pissed off from hearing the news lol!

he has sent them an email asking to clarify whats going on in writing.

ill let you guys know what they tell him,.

edit: i have also emailed the sales person i used last time, to see what he tells me about it.

Tiag46 09-10-2012 11:20 PM

Maybe this is related to the problem I had with buying BC's from Corby Motorsport.
From my case they said they wouldnt ship to Australia because we have a distributor for BC's here.
Interested to know the outcome.

msbhvn 09-10-2012 11:57 PM

Considering the government is taking companies like apple to court over price irregularities between markets I doubt it was the government stopping the import.

bobz 09-11-2012 01:59 AM

it is against the ACCC, please pass those onto them and they will deal with Michelin

BobZ