E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Dead lift inquiry! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=943999)

M3Inline6 09-11-2012 12:54 PM

Dead lift inquiry!

How often are you guys dead lifting on a weekly basis? I currently squat twice a week and dead lift once a week. Is it the opinion of the other lifters on the forum that I should continue to dead lift only once a week?

dabears 09-11-2012 01:18 PM

Squatting you can do with every workout... this is from recent experience.

However deadlifting is so taxing on the entire body that I know many experts recommend doing it only once per week, and for no more than 3 sets... some will argue but I know personally I almost pass out when deadlifting even one set so I couldn't imagine doing more than 2-3 at 5-8 reps.

If you think you can deadlift twice a week you aren't lifting heavy enough! (imo)

DylloS 09-11-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3Inline6 (Post 14722635)
How often are you guys dead lifting on a weekly basis? I currently squat twice a week and dead lift once a week. Is it the opinion of the other lifters on the forum that I should continue to dead lift only once a week?

I do once a week. I used to do twice or once depending on how my workouts ended up. According to most people I listen too and expecially at your level, well above novice, you should be fine with once a week. What do your sets and weights look like.

for me right now it's

135x10
185x8
225x5
265x5 this friday.

I just do one heavy work set.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabears (Post 14722725)

However deadlifting is so taxing on the entire body that I know many experts recommend doing it only once per week, and for no more than 3 sets... some will argue but I know personally I almost pass out when deadlifting even one set so I couldn't imagine doing more than 2-3 at 5-8 reps.

If you think you can deadlift twice a week you aren't lifting heavy enough! (imo)

Dude a while back I did 270x5 and a few minutes I took a dump and the pushing nearly made me pass out. I'm serious hahah.

I don't agree with the "not lifting heavy enough part though". It kind of goes against being able to squat 3 times a week. Now I just do 2.

M3Inline6 09-11-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

My deadlift is weak right now (..I never really focused on the dead lift in the past), but my squat and flat/incline bench have always been really strong for my weight (..heaviest 1RM was somewhere in the realm of 480 lbs. @ 190 and 335 lbs. @ 190). Go figure! Right now I'm doing 5 sets of 5, and I, too, feel light headed and nearly pass out after I'm done. I started with 225 lbs. a couple of weeks ago, and I am slowly adding weight. I don't want to prematurely increase the weight too fast as I'm a stickler for form. I generally dead lift on Monday's.

M3Inline6 09-11-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylloS (Post 14722749)
I do once a week. I used to do twice or once depending on how my workouts ended up. According to most people I listen too and expecially at your level, well above novice, you should be fine with once a week. What do your sets and weights look like.

for me right now it's

135x10
185x8
225x5
265x5 this friday.

I just do one heavy work set.

Dude a while back I did 270x5 and a few minutes I took a dump and the pushing nearly made me pass out. I'm serious hahah.

I don't agree with the "not lifting heavy enough part though". It kind of goes against being able to squat 3 times a week. Now I just do 2.

The deadlift portion of my Monday workout looks something like this:
  • 135 lbs....3 sets of 10 (..warm-up)
  • 225 lbs....5 sets of 5 (..I went up to 235 lbs. this past Monday)

LOL! Dude, the same thing happened to me. Mind you, until this past Labor Day Monday, I hadn't performed a dead lift since 2006-ish, and even then it wasn't anything heavy. After those 5 sets of 5 @ 225 lbs. I proceeded to the bathroom to relieve the load. I almost passed out on the handicap rail. No BS! I had to text the g/f - who was doing cardio at the time - that I was stuck in the bathroom if she was looking for me. I literally couldn't get up without feeling woozy.

Now that I've begun incorporating the movement into my workouts, I long for more of the strain that it puts on my body. It just feels so good to feel so damn drained.

dwass325 09-11-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

To play devil's advocate, if you are able to squat every workout, I'd say you aren't going hard enough on any single workout.

I deadlift and squat once per week each. I don't like the idea of doubling up on either.

dabears 09-11-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwass325 (Post 14722877)
To play devil's advocate, if you are able to squat every workout, I'd say you aren't going hard enough on any single workout.

I deadlift and squat once per week each. I don't like the idea of doubling up on either.

I somewhat agree, as my squats right now are stuck at 210lbs 5 x 5, I know I could go heavier but my form would suffer, so I am slowly working it up. I go to parallel or below when squatting. Doing this mon/wed/fri seemed to give me enough time to recover, but I've switched to the power/muscle/burn routine as of yesterday and enjoy it much more.

If I was going as heavy as I do for deadlifts with my squats, once a week would be more than enough!

DylloS 09-11-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3Inline6 (Post 14722779)
The deadlift portion of my Monday workout looks something like this:
  • 135 lbs....3 sets of 10 (..warm-up)
  • 225 lbs....5 sets of 5 (..I went up to 235 lbs. this past Monday)

LOL! Dude, the same thing happened to me. Mind you, until this past Labor Day Monday, I hadn't performed a dead lift since 2006-ish, and even then it wasn't anything heavy. After those 5 sets of 5 @ 225 lbs. I proceeded to the bathroom to relieve the load. I almost passed out on the handicap rail. No BS! I had to text the g/f - who was doing cardio at the time - that I was stuck in the bathroom if she was looking for me. I literally couldn't get up without feeling woozy.

Now that I've begun incorporating the movement into my workouts, I long for more of the strain that it puts on my body. It just feels so good to feel so damn drained.

I'd say that's a little too much. Try ramping up to a heavy set or too. But you may benefit from it so it's hard to say. You aren't a typical lifter in the sense that you are in much better shape, and stronger than most. You may benefit from what you're doing. I'm just relaying the message from the reputable sources I follow. They typically go all out on one heavy workset but you're working on form too so the practice may be good and you're probably still capable of much higher weights.

Mike Larry 09-11-2012 11:07 PM

i squat and dead (and pretty much everything else other than cardio) once a week

Green_Shine 09-12-2012 06:22 AM

Deadlift is the only exercise that almost made me throw up a few times. Once a week here. Sometimes once every 10 days.

wasp9166 09-12-2012 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwass325 (Post 14722877)

this

your quads are one of if not the, biggest muscle in your body, why wouldn't you give it time to repair?

crazy imo

i do rack deads personally, takes my legs out of it and i can focus more on them squatting

DylloS 09-12-2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasp9166 (Post 14724871)
this

your quads are one of if not the, biggest muscle in your body, why wouldn't you give it time to repair?

crazy imo

i do rack deads personally, takes my legs out of it and i can focus more on them squatting

what height do you pull it from?

rohde88 09-12-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabears (Post 14723052)
I somewhat agree, as my squats right now are stuck at 210lbs 5 x 5, I know I could go heavier but my form would suffer, so I am slowly working it up. I go to parallel or below when squatting. Doing this mon/wed/fri seemed to give me enough time to recover, but I've switched to the power/muscle/burn routine as of yesterday and enjoy it much more.

If I was going as heavy as I do for deadlifts with my squats, once a week would be more than enough!

If your form suffers, you need to build stabilizing muscles. Your balance and or flexibility needs improvement!

I deadlift one time a week.

DILLA 09-12-2012 11:18 AM

Deadlift on back days, squat once a week on leg days which are twice a week. You are only cheating yourself if you aren't feeling like you are about to puke/pass out. I usually puke 1-2 a month.

rohde88 09-12-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DILLA (Post 14725438)
Deadlift on back days, squat once a week on leg days which are twice a week. You are only cheating yourself if you aren't feeling like you are about to puke/pass out. I usually puke 1-2 a month.

This seems excessive. I don't see Olympians puking

DylloS 09-12-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DILLA (Post 14725438)

that's crazy to me lol

DILLA 09-12-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohde88 (Post 14725456)
This seems excessive. I don't see Olympians puking

It's more or less the fact that I lift at 6am and am still nauseous from eating quickly and forcing myself up.. :rofl:But I do push myself past my limits as much as I can.

DylloS 09-12-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DILLA (Post 14725523)
It's more or less the fact that I lift at 6am and am still nauseous from eating quickly and forcing myself up.. :rofl:But I do push myself past my limits as much as I can.

I think i'd be too weak to lift heavy at that time. I used to do it for like a month a few years back and it got old fast. I was a pvssy then and didn't feel like it affected my light lifts.

dabears 09-12-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohde88 (Post 14725423)
If your form suffers, you need to build stabilizing muscles. Your balance and or flexibility needs improvement!

I deadlift one time a week.

I agree completely, so I'm sticking with current weight... my new workout split includes some complementary exercises like romanian deadlifts etc and I've included goblet squats to try and improve balance.

As far as puking when deadlifting, I find I almost pass out from exertion and feel a bit nauseated but I've never actually had to puke... my one workout buddy has before though I think it depends on the individual. 1-2 times a month seems excessive though, thats 25-50% of the time you spend deadlifting!

DILLA 09-12-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylloS (Post 14725535)
I think i'd be too weak to lift heavy at that time. I used to do it for like a month a few years back and it got old fast. I was a pvssy then and didn't feel like it affected my light lifts.

It's the only time of day I can with all I have going on and playing two sports at school. It sucked at first, but I was used to it in a couple weeks. I'm usually passed out by 10:30-11. I usually feel pretty energized because of it throughout the day. It's usually on squat days I puke... Drop sets always get me. I think I've only puked twice on deadlift.