E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Xi Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Finally new wheels! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=944569)

E46er75 09-14-2012 12:35 PM

Finally new wheels!

Just figured I would post some pics of my car seeing how I'm actually making some progress on it. Today I was able to finally put a new set of wheels on it just in time for winter!:rolleyes: Seeing how I don't drive it much in the winter I guess it doesn't matter. I know your thinking and XI that doesn't get driven much in the winter what's the point. I actually like the handling of AWD and I love the E46 style...

Mods so far:

Eibach springs
Bilstein shocks
5mm pads in rear
Dynavin D90 V5
Dinan Intake
Clear Corners & Side Markers
Rear Tailight Upgrade (Not a fan amber)
ASA 18" GT-5
15mm Spacers (Added after pics were posted)

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Photobucket

ModBargains 09-14-2012 12:41 PM

Nice clean OEM look! Congrats on the new wheels and suspension!

E46er75 09-14-2012 01:14 PM

Thanks! I'm looking to buy front and rear M-Tech II bumpers soon. I just looked through your website I'm hoping to get them before winter. I'll keep ModBargains.com in mind!

ModBargains 09-14-2012 01:15 PM

Thanks! We would love the opportunity to help you! Keep it up!

TomTomTuning 09-14-2012 01:17 PM

Looks great! I'm currently in the process of deciding on wheels for my Xi.

What are ".5mm pads in rear"?
Wheel spacers?

E46er75 09-14-2012 01:28 PM

Thanks. I didn't like how high the rear sat after I installed the new springs and shocks. The problem is that the stock XI come with larger upper spring pads, I believe they are 15mm pads. They can be replaced with 5mm pads which lower the rear around a 1/2" more.
No, I did not use wheel spacers.

wdeerfield 09-14-2012 03:03 PM

seems you could definitely use some spacers. Eibachs dont really drop it that much i see. I had h&r on mine and the gap was half what you have.

shadow 2 09-14-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46er75 (Post 14731870)
Thanks. I didn't like how high the rear sat after I installed the new springs and shocks. The problem is that the stock XI come with larger upper spring pads, I believe they are 15mm pads. They can be replaced with .5mm pads which lower the rear around a 1/2" more.
No, I did not use wheel spacers.

Assume you mean 5 mm, not .5?

E46er75 09-14-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow 2 (Post 14732230)
Assume you mean 5 mm, not .5?

Yes sorry, (5 mm) is what i meant I kept thinking about the 1/2" or (.500) additional drop it added when I was writing the post.

E46er75 09-14-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdeerfield (Post 14732145)
seems you could definitely use some spacers. Eibachs dont really drop it that much i see. I had h&r on mine and the gap was half what you have.

I'm not looking for a big drop and Eibachs were just right for me. I would have used H&R's or possibly coilovers. But considering I'm getting older my days of slamming a car to the ground are over. I'm really not looking to scarfice comfort on this car just for looks. Although the stock suspension made me wondering what BMW was thinking on the 4X4 status. I did settle for the modest drop woth Eibach's. Plus i'm done with the harsh rides and younger crowds. I'm my only critic these days.

Great forum and thanks for the advice! :thumbsup:

E46er75 09-14-2012 04:23 PM

As far as the spacers go. How much spacing should be consider? I have seen sets in 5,12,15,20mm. I have noticed that the back wheels still sit a little in too far. The front seems ok to me. Can just the rears be spaced? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Rubirosa007 09-14-2012 06:10 PM

i just got some 15mm on my rear wheels and just ordered 15mm for the front aswell.

E46er75 09-14-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubirosa007 (Post 14732595)
i just got some 15mm on my rear wheels and just ordered 15mm for the front aswell.

What size wheels and offset are you running?

tomoyer 09-14-2012 06:36 PM

Nice choice of wheels for your car ( I would have stayed with 17s though for a little more tire sidewall). May I ask why you are considering spacers? Wheel spacers will set the wheels and tires outside the fender wheels more AND the tires could hit the top of the fenders when the suspension is compressed. Wheel spacers will also put some more load on the wheel bearings and the outer ball joint. And depending on which size spacers you get, you will have to also purchase longer lug bolts to get proper thread engagement to the hub. To help set those wheels off, think its time to treat the calipers to some paint (yeah, to me doesn't matter if they are stock calipers or not, color beats corrosion and rust when looking at the wheels and color on the calipers helps draw attention to the the wheels (my opinion and there are many here that think painting stock calipers is a waste). On my Black over Black '03 325 xi I used Beyern Mesh wheels, black with polished lip in 17 inch with Plus Zero Continental Extreme Contact DWs. Made for a nice look with cross-drilled rotors (all the non-braking surface painted black) and the calipers painted red. Makes the wheels pop.

E46er75 09-14-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomoyer (Post 14732652)
Nice choice of wheels for your car ( I would have stayed with 17s though for a little more tire sidewall). May I ask why you are considering spacers? Wheel spacers will set the wheels and tires outside the fender wheels more AND the tires could hit the top of the fenders when the suspension is compressed. Wheel spacers will also put some more load on the wheel bearings and the outer ball joint. And depending on which size spacers you get, you will have to also purchase longer lug bolts to get proper thread engagement to the hub. To help set those wheels off, think its time to treat the calipers to some paint (yeah, to me doesn't matter if they are stock calipers or not, color beats corrosion and rust when looking at the wheels and color on the calipers helps draw attention to the the wheels (my opinion and there are many here that think painting stock calipers is a waste). On my Black over Black '03 325 xi I used Beyern Mesh wheels, black with polished lip in 17 inch with Plus Zero Continental Extreme Contact DWs. Made for a nice look with cross-drilled rotors (all the non-braking surface painted black) and the calipers painted red. Makes the wheels pop.

Thanks, I like 18" and think they are good fit for the E46 body style.

I have used spacer on other cars and never had a problem with wheel bearings. To be honest with you I have replaced more wheel bearings on non moded cars then moded ones. So this is the first time I have ever heard of wheel bearing failure linked to spacers. Also, ball joints might be an issues with a lower profile tires but once a again I don't beleive spacers will limit the longevity of the ball joints.

As far as the calipers go, i'm not a big fan of painting calibers and other components. To me it looks cheap and eventully looks worse as it ages. You can repaint but that only means painting over existing paint and then flaking/chipping starts. To me painted calipers look very cheap and make it look like a bad attempt at trying to make them look like big capiler upgraded brakes set. Don't take it personally it's just my opinion...

Evo lol 09-27-2012 11:57 PM

How do the eibachs ride compared to stock suspension? I had h and r and the ride was terrible

E46er75 09-28-2012 11:34 AM

Eibachs ride very similar to stock. Too be honest it's very hard to tell the difference. The only noticeable ride quality difference I have notice was switching to 18" wheels with 40 series tires. The ride is still great though and so far I'm pretty happy with all my mods.

I did consider h&r even though I have heard some negatives about ride quality. Too be honest the specs from H&R and eibach basically say the drops are similiar.

Evo lol 09-28-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46er75 (Post 14770567)
Eibachs ride very similar to stock. Too be honest it's very hard to tell the difference. The only noticeable ride quality difference I have notice was switching to 18" wheels with 40 series tires. The ride is still great though and so far I'm pretty happy with all my mods.

I did consider h&r even though I have heard some negatives about ride quality. Too be honest the specs from H&R and eibach basically say the drops are similiar.

Really wish I bought eibachs. Instead I bought h&r and when those rode like crap i spent 400$ at the dealer for new sport springs. Running those with Bilstein sports. Ride still isn't that great. Back sits nice no wheel gap. Front on the other hand has to much wheel gap, so I bought the lowering spring perches. Hope it lowers it enough to stop driving me crazy. Guess we all learn from our mistakes. Oh and don't feel bad, I don't drive my xi in the rain let alone the snow lol

E46er75 09-28-2012 05:40 PM

I have made some poor decision on other vehicles. This I actually did a lot of research through this forum as well as some others before buying my setup. I really was leaning toward h&r springs. But I realized I'm looking for the best comfort and a little wheel gap isn't all the bad.

Evo lol 09-29-2012 12:11 AM

Yea, tried doing all the research as well. Everyone said go with h&r. Now same people say I should of gone with eibachs. But your car looks great man.