E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Xi Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   5 speed not pulling off motor (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=944851)

P46E46 09-16-2012 08:40 AM

5 speed not pulling off motor

hey everyone so im about balls deep in a clutch job on my 04 325xi. i ran into some issues but adapted to them and figured it out but my last one jus happened last night. i went to pull back the tranny and it pulled off a half inch then stopped dead and wont move anymore. any ideas on whats goin on?

325xittt 09-16-2012 05:55 PM

Likely that the trany housing is hung up in the transmission tunnel. the Bentley says to rotate the housing slightly to clear and lower. Did you disconnect the shift linkage? Also if you remove the drivers side engine mount and loosen the passanger side mount you will find that you can lower the engine/tranny a couple of inches further making the job much easier. This really helps when it comes time to reinstall. Its not hard to do and it will save you much time and effort in the end

doverby 09-27-2012 07:02 AM

I'm in the same spot on mine. I'm having difficulty even removing some of the upper tranny bolts. Is there a DIY on removing engine mounts? Also, if I remove those, what's securing the engine from shifting in the compartment?

Any help is greatly appreciated! My baby is all torn apart in the garage! :-/

325xittt 09-27-2012 09:02 PM

doverby

You still have the subframe to support the engine on the engine mount bracket. Its been awhile since I did my clutch but if I recall you can get to the top of the left and right engine mounts from above with a long extension, just a couple of bolts. Once the bolts are removed use a floor jack with a wood block to protect the engine and lift the engine slightly to remove the drivers side mount. Its a B%^ch to get out but it should come with a little prying. Leave the passenger side in place. Lower the engine and trany and you will find that the engine will drop a few inches giving you better access to the trany bolts and better clearance to remove trany from the tunnel. I may have repositioned the floor jack to push up on the engine in the front to rock the back down slightly. Just go easy with the jack and don't push too hard. There is also a closeoff plate below the fresh air intake that I removed that gave me better acces to the top bolts on the trany and allowed the engine and trany to rock back a little further.

Once the trany is out it is also a good time to replace the vacuum lines at the back of the engine. Don't forget the main engine seal and pilot bearing

fastjasonbmw 09-28-2012 07:45 PM

I had a trans a few Weeks ago that was a real pain in the ass to remove because the pilot bearing was seized onto the input shaft. Could be the samething you're running into. A couple of large prybars finally did the trick. So, don't forget to lube the input shaft when you reinstall the tranny. Good luck.