E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Home Improvement (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Ripping up carpet help (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=944930)

DylloS 09-16-2012 05:56 PM

Ripping up carpet help

I plan on ripping up my carpet this Saturday and have no idea where to begin. I'm sure I could google around but I'm curious what people here can tell me.

My plan is to get a box cutter and rip it up but I'm wondering what else I need to get or look into.

JonJon 09-16-2012 07:20 PM

You'll have tack strips all along the perimeter. Start by pulling the carpet up there to loosen it.

Depending on how big the room is, square, etc
You might want to just roll it up in one shot. If its not square, too large, etc. pull it up off the floor and cut strips of 4 foot. If you don't care about the floor under it, just run a sharp CARPET BLADE (not a regular razor) without lifting it.

Roll it up... Carry it out.

There will be padding under it. Hopefully it comes right up but really old stuff might stick to the subfloor (sucks!)

WEAR A MASK.

PS: WEAR A MASK and consider googles

DylloS 09-16-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonJon (Post 14736286)
You'll have tack strips all along the perimeter. Start by pulling the carpet up there to loosen it.

Depending on how big the room is, square, etc
You might want to just roll it up in one shot. If its not square, too large, etc. pull it up off the floor and cut strips of 4 foot. If you don't care about the floor under it, just run a sharp CARPET BLADE (not a regular razor) without lifting it.

Roll it up... Carry it out.

There will be padding under it. Hopefully it comes right up but really old stuff might stick to the subfloor (sucks!)

WEAR A MASK.

PS: WEAR A MASK and consider googles

I plan on cutting sections. Probably about that size. I was going to by a mask, and box cutter but I guess I'll look into the carpet blade. Also something to pry the tack strips up. Hopefully I can get this all done in a few hours.

chivo328 09-16-2012 09:35 PM

Also consider picking up (sorry don't know what it's called) one of those flat long handled scrapping tools to remove any nails that might not come up with the tack strips. basically you use it like you would a broom. You might also find that they used stapels to secure the padding and this device makes removing these quicker and easier.

JonJon 09-16-2012 10:12 PM

Regular razor blade will work, but a carpet blade is much sharper and won't dull out as fast.

Tack strips, nails? Get a wonder bar.
It's a tool every man should own next to a hammer
And duct tape

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00002X1XT

I've used this thing a thousands times for almost everything.
It even saved me from amputating my arm once too.

Block wall fell on me and I used it to get my body loose.

DylloS 09-17-2012 09:32 AM

thanks guys. I'll let you know how it goes. This isn't going to be fun but I have a few guys coming to help out.

SLVR JDM 09-17-2012 01:07 PM

It isn't hard at all. I ripped all of the carpet out of my grandparents 900 sq foot house in about an hour with just the help of my dad.

IDriveRealSlow 09-17-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonJon (Post 14736732)
Block wall fell on me and I used it to get my body loose.

take notes james franco

sea6speed 09-18-2012 11:56 AM

It is a nasty job. Get some leather gloves as well for handling the tack strips. In addition to the wonder bar get some pliers to pull out staples and nails that don't have a head.

GlockMan 09-18-2012 12:10 PM

You do know that the carpet installers will rip it out before laying the new carpet, right?

JJR4884 09-18-2012 12:28 PM

Have a pair of needle nose pliers as well. that wonderbar might be a little too big for the staples they use to lay the foam padding down... either use the needle nose to rip them out, or a flat head screwdriver would help as well

JonJon 09-18-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SurreyF1 (Post 14741411)
Have a pair of needle nose pliers as well. that wonderbar might be a little too big for the staples they use to lay the foam padding down... either use the needle nose to rip them out, or a flat head screwdriver would help as well

Agreed, I was speaking to use them for getting the tack strips up.

Staples are best with NN pliers or channel locks

JJR4884 09-18-2012 02:54 PM

Solly are you putting new carpet down? If so, leave the tack strip...

brew 09-18-2012 03:19 PM

Carpet knives are cheap. They have a hooked blade and are super durable. Cutting up a house full of carpet with a box cutter sounds like a nightmare.

Used carpet pad makes a great sub layer for a pond liner. Dunno if you know anyone building a pond . . but there you go.

slo323ci 09-19-2012 09:36 PM

Pics?

Raymond42262 09-19-2012 09:56 PM

How about saving the old carpet for the garage floor ?

B_Cyrus 09-19-2012 10:01 PM

hire mexicans

DylloS 09-20-2012 02:23 AM

Laying laminate flooring down. Carpets are not being replaced by another carpet