E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Checking oil level! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=945229)

matthatchett 09-18-2012 06:44 AM

Checking oil level!

Hey guys I'm a newbie to the BMW world, go figure, and absolutely love my car! I've only had it a week or so and I'm already getting frustrated. I have googled it, youtubed it, everything, but I can't figure out how to check the freakin oil... Sounds ridiculous I know. And also, what's the difference between E46/E90? I have a 2006 325i without navigation if that helps.

Solidjake 09-18-2012 06:53 AM

Google E46 and E90 and you will see the body difference. Then come back and tell us what you have.

e46hellrot 09-18-2012 07:00 AM

You have an e90. Let the car
Run for 5 min then shut it off put the key in then press the start button without having the brake pedal pressed. It should be now on position 2 then look at the left stalk there should be a switch on the stalk that you can move from left to right, move it and find "check oil level "from the dash. Lmk if you have any questions (sorry if it's confusing, English is not my native language)

matthatchett 09-18-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solidjake (Post 14740664)
Google E46 and E90 and you will see the body difference. Then come back and tell us what you have.

I've done a quick search this morning before I made this post. I saw a couple things about horsepower and some other stuff but didn't find the answer I was looking for. I saw somewhere (forget where) that they have a different year range like 1999-2006 is E46 and 2006+ is E90. That's where I got confused. I wasn't sure if that was meant to say 1999-2005.

Quote:

Originally Posted by e46hellrot (Post 14740670)
You have an e90. Let the car
Run for 5 min then shut it off put the key in then press the start button without having the brake pedal pressed. It should be now on position 2 then look at the left stalk there should be a switch on the stalk that you can move from left to right, move it and find "check oil level "from the dash. Lmk if you have any questions (sorry if it's confusing, English is not my native language)

Appreciate the help! I knew it had something to do with the turn signal and all of that but couldn't get it to change to "check oil level" because I was doing it while the car was running I guess. I will definitely try that the first chance I get today!

bryce-o 09-19-2012 11:24 AM

you can check the oil level while driving, it doesn't need to be turned off. just cycle down throught the OBC menu, which is one of the stalks on the left of the steering column. oil level is one of the choices, just press in the button on the stalk, once the car has warmed up for 5-10 minutes.

matthatchett 09-19-2012 11:42 AM

I tried it yesterday and of course it worked. I absolutely hate having to trust the car to tell me how much oil is in there but I guess BMW thinks it's a wise decision.