E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   My rear suspension is acting stupid (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=945911)

ilkercatal 09-21-2012 12:03 AM

My rear suspension is acting stupid
 
1 Attachment(s)
Problem is actually for both but left is in worse condition. As, I mentioned I installed 2 new (very cheap ones) struts, 3 new mounths in the rear as well as replaced a broken spring on the left side. Just over 1500 miles and now my strut is (right side) about to pop out of strut mount again.

Do you think installing good stuff ( like i did for front at the same time) for rear and also installing a aluminum bar on top of the strutt mounts in rear would reduce this crazy tear problem. Since I bought the problem, I have never been happy with suspension, always noisey ((

here is a brief video of the problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN47F...wdFTT-TVo8OSLA

Mango 09-21-2012 12:12 AM

I have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. From the pictures, everything appears normal.

ilkercatal 09-21-2012 09:54 AM

I put little information, sorry
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Mango (Post 14750035)
I have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. From the pictures, everything appears normal.

It's my bad I forgot to add a video and another picture. Problem is actually for both but left is in worse condition. As, I mentioned I installed 2 new (very cheap ones) struts, 3 new mounths in the rear as well as replaced a broken spring on the left side. Just over 1500 miles and now my strut is (right side) about to pop out of strut mount again.

Do you think installing good stuff ( like i did for front at the same time) for rear and also installing a aluminum bar on top of the strutt mounts in rear would reduce this crazy tear problem. Since I bought the problem, I have never been happy with suspension, always noisey :(((

I am adding a short video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN47F...wdFTT-TVo8OSLA

njoni007 09-21-2012 11:41 PM

Get a Mayle HD if you can find. Cheap mounts are never a good idea as they take a lot of beating. M3 mount can fit as well and it is better constructed. I have not tried on sedans but on 330Ci M3 rear mount fits perfect.

ExcelonGT 09-22-2012 03:23 PM

sounds like a bad rear shock mount (RSM). I have heard good things about Rouge engineering RSM http://www.rogueengineering.com/rogue/S_BUSH/RSM.html

euG! 09-22-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExcelonGT (Post 14753719)
sounds like a bad rear shock mount (RSM). I have heard good things about Rouge engineering RSM http://www.rogueengineering.com/rogue/S_BUSH/RSM.html

Sounds like? Completely obvious it IS the RSM's. Go with MEYLE HD's cheap and sturdy.

ExcelonGT 09-22-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euG! (Post 14753979)
Sounds like? Completely obvious it IS the RSM's. Go with MEYLE HD's cheap and sturdy.

Thanks for that, Mr. Know it all

ilkercatal 10-03-2012 03:20 AM

thanks

LeMansteve 10-03-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilkercatal (Post 14750645)
It's my bad I forgot to add a video and another picture. Problem is actually for both but left is in worse condition. As, I mentioned I installed 2 new (very cheap ones) struts, 3 new mounths in the rear as well as replaced a broken spring on the left side. Just over 1500 miles and now my strut is (right side) about to pop out of strut mount again.

Do you think installing good stuff (like i did for front at the same time) for rear and also installing a aluminum bar on top of the strutt mounts in rear would reduce this crazy tear problem. Since I bought the problem, I have never been happy with suspension, always noisey :(((

Its odd that you are having the push-through problem on just one side. On the passenger's side it appears the rubber is completely separating from the stationary metal mount. That's very bad for your mount, and prevents the shock from doing its job correctly. Are you positive you installed all the proper washers onto the shock in the correct direction and correct position? If so, you probably have a defective mount that should be returned and replaced with a new part. What brand did you install? Installing "good stuff" can't hurt. Meyle makes RSMs that are designed specifically to prevent the push-through you are experiencing.

Installing a rear strut tower bar is a band-aid and may not even help your problem anyway - depending on how it installs onto the car. Typically they mount onto the threaded studs coming out of the rear shock mounts. Mounting in this way would do nothing extra to prevent the rubber from pushing through.

ChrisRedmon 10-03-2012 08:43 AM

Dude.....your strut is coming through the Rear Shock Mount tower......Buy new RSM's for 99$


Couldnt tell you if your springs or shocks are done. But you need new RSM bushings at least. Fix that as it will start to smack, cracking the tower, subframe. You name it.

ilkercatal 10-10-2012 10:15 PM

oh,,
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeMansteve (Post 14783462)
Its odd that you are having the push-through problem on just one side. On the passenger's side it appears the rubber is completely separating from the stationary metal mount. That's very bad for your mount, and prevents the shock from doing its job correctly. Are you positive you installed all the proper washers onto the shock in the correct direction and correct position? If so, you probably have a defective mount that should be returned and replaced with a new part. What brand did you install? Installing "good stuff" can't hurt. Meyle makes RSMs that are designed specifically to prevent the push-through you are experiencing.

Installing a rear strut tower bar is a band-aid and may not even help your problem anyway - depending on how it installs onto the car. Typically they mount onto the threaded studs coming out of the rear shock mounts. Mounting in this way would do nothing extra to prevent the rubber from pushing through.

Actually I am missing bump-stop on one of the struts and one washer is missing as well. Does the bump-stop makes a huge difference, and washers?
also how much torque should be applied, is that a deal breaker as well?( i tighed up decent)

doggy 10-11-2012 05:01 PM

check this:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...41&hg=33&fg=45
what parts are you missing? the bits you dont need are: 8,11,14,16,17,19 but you need everything else. From your video, either the shock mount is REALLY poor quality or 6 is missing.

If you are missing the bumpstop then probably also missing dust shield which protects the piston from dirt & if your shocks are cheap or worn, you risk tearing the shock towers

LeMansteve 10-12-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilkercatal (Post 14804685)
Actually I am missing bump-stop on one of the struts and one washer is missing as well. Does the bump-stop makes a huge difference, and washers?
also how much torque should be applied, is that a deal breaker as well?( i tighed up decent)

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggy (Post 14807355)
check this:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...41&hg=33&fg=45
what parts are you missing? the bits you dont need are: 8,11,14,16,17,19 but you need everything else. From your video, either the shock mount is REALLY poor quality or 6 is missing.

If you are missing the bumpstop then probably also missing dust shield which protects the piston from dirt & if your shocks are cheap or worn, you risk tearing the shock towers

OP - yes the bump stop makes a difference. Go to the link provided by doggy. It is critical that items #4, 5, 6 and 12 are installed in the correct order and direction as shown in the diagram. You also really need to have the dust boots in place.

The bump stop (4) is designed for one end to fit snugly inside the dust boot (3). There is an interlocking groove that allows the two parts to fit together.
Washer (5) will rest inside the top of the bump stop, and should sit on a groove on the shock rod.
Washer (6) fits upside-down around the top of the bump stop
You already have the last washer in place correctly (12)
While you are in there, might as well replace gasket (9) and all self-locking hardware (10, 13, 2) and probably the lower shock bolt.

Torque requirements are:
Rear shock to trailing arm - 44 ft/lb
Rear shock to upper mount - 10 ft/lb
Rear shock upper mount to body M8 self-locking nuts - 21 ft/lb


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use