E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General Off-Topic (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Why do people!!! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=946038)

Fern2899 09-21-2012 03:08 PM

Why do people!!!

I don't understand when people's birth name is Richard, why do they like to use the name "dick" for short??? Really you guys don't see that strange? I have a customer and its kinda funny.. His name is dick sackler.. Well real name is Richard but he like to go by the name dick.. I don't know doesn't make sense to me.. Please fill me in on you oppinions!!

E36Eric 09-21-2012 03:10 PM

There's a doctor in my area named Richard Poon.

SLVR JDM 09-21-2012 03:11 PM

Dick Sack
Dick Poon

These are funny.

GRIFFIN 09-21-2012 03:11 PM

Suck my Richard.

Fern2899 09-21-2012 03:13 PM

Does his middle name start with an "N" hi, I'm dick n. poon... Haha too funny cause my customer I mention is a doctor as well

andrewrossnagel 09-21-2012 03:14 PM

i was in finish line about 2 months ago and their was a shirt that said " dont be a richard"

eee4666 09-21-2012 03:23 PM

The name Richard is thought by most etymologists to derive from the Proto-Germanic 'Rikharthu', meaning more or less "hard ruler" ('Rik-' meaning 'ruler' and '-harthu' meaning 'hard'). This was adopted into Old High German as 'Ricohard', and from there to Old French, then Old English as 'Richeard', and today as 'Richard'.
You might think from Richard meaning "hard ruler" and being a man's name that Dick being a nickname for Richard probably came about for pejorative reasons, borrowing from one of the other meanings of "dick", such as 'dick' as in 'jerk' or 'dick as in 'penis'. However, the first record of 'dick' meaning 'jerk' didn't come about until a few hundred years after its association with Richard and the first record of it referring to a penis wasn't until the 1890s, as a British army slang term. Exactly how that latter meaning came about isn't known, being a slang term that was considered somewhat uncouth to put on paper. Because of that, 'dick' meaning 'penis' probably had been around a while before the 1890s, but not nearly long enough before to have contributed to the Richard/Dick connection.
How Dick became a nickname for Richard is known and is one of those "knee bone connected to the thigh bone" type progressions, somewhat similar to how the word 'soccer' came about. Due to people having to write everything by hand, shortened versions of Richard were common, such as 'Ric' or 'Rich'. This in turn gave rise to nicknames like 'Richie', 'Rick', and 'Ricket', among others. People also used to like to use rhyming names; thus, someone who was nicknamed Rich might further be nicknamed Hitch. Thus, Richard -> Ric -> Rick gave rise to nicknames like Dick and Hick around the early 13th century.
While few today call Richards 'Hick', the nickname 'Dick' has stuck around, and of course has come to mean many other things as well. Its persistence as associated with Richard is probably in part because around the 16th century Dick started to be synonymous with 'man', 'lad', or 'fellow', sort of a general name for any 'Tom, Dick, or Francis" (which by the way appears in Shakespeare's Henry IV, written in the late 16th century, with Dick at this point firmly established as an "every man" name). It may well be that this association with 'man' is in turn how 'dick' eventually came to mean 'penis'.

Read more at http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....UUHLfiMHfKQ.99

- www.google.com

k2spitfire 09-21-2012 03:37 PM

lol, if you have a common asian last name and your first name is richard, you'd label all your sh1t "dick lee's"

Levim9 09-21-2012 04:28 PM

lol Dick Sackler.. I never understood why Dick is short for Richard either. I have a customer named Richard Horny and he likes to be called Dick! :rofl:

Wraisil 09-21-2012 05:07 PM

I have a much funnier story regarding this particular name, but it's personal so only people I know or meet in person get to hear it. Sorry.

Bimmer4Lyfe 09-21-2012 05:16 PM

had a guy at work who insisted on being called Dick...
he was a co- supervisor.

he was kinda hard on his employees at first...
but then it was found that he was just a big softy.

one time I loaned him some money for lunch... and he stiffed me.

never forget the time he yelled at the production manager, I give 'em this much... he had balls!

we worked at night time... and he was getting older so, sometimes he had to take pills to stay up...

funniest part of this story is; it's true :rofl:

325inthe510 09-21-2012 05:17 PM

Dick sackler :lmao:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wraisil (Post 14751955)
I have a much funnier story regarding this particular name, but it's personal so only people I know or meet in person get to hear it. Sorry.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/33905102/Fo...ro%20chair.gif

daedalus34r 09-21-2012 05:18 PM

richard ~> dick
william ~> bill

never really understood this myself

brew 09-21-2012 06:03 PM

I once worked on a deal where the attorney on the other side had the last name of "Merkin". Every time he was being abusive, I would just think to myself "ha, well at least I'm not a merkin!" and laugh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkin

"Merkin (first use 1617) is a pubic wig. Merkins were originally worn by prostitutes after shaving their genitalia, and are now used as decorative items, erotic devices, or in films, by both men and women."

budman 09-21-2012 06:32 PM

My father law goes by Dick..

Sent from my damn phone

guest1008 09-21-2012 06:38 PM

How old is this guy?

For those above a certain age, dick was never really used as a reference to a penis. So, to them, it's no different then any other normal nickname. I had a boss who insisted on being called Dick. Again, he was older. Dad or grandpa age to most people on this board.

Levim9 09-21-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codex57 (Post 14752190)
How old is this guy?

For those above a certain age, dick was never really used as a reference to a penis. So, to them, it's no different then any other normal nickname. I had a boss who insisted on being called Dick. Again, he was older. Dad or grandpa age to most people on this board.

It's not that we're referring the name Dick to a penis, although Dick Sackler in combination is kind of funny. We just don't understand why Dick is short for Richard. Rich makes sense but Dick doesn't sound similar. :hmm:

guest1008 09-21-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black E46 sedan (Post 14752235)
It's not that we're referring the name Dick to a penis, although Dick Sackler in combination is kind of funny. We just don't understand why Dick is short for Richard. Rich makes sense but Dick doesn't sound similar. :hmm:

Yeah, why it's Dick and not Rich is weird. Kinda like how another poster mentioned William and Bill.

And yeah, there are some weird combinations out there. Still, I'm not sure that's where OP was exactly going with this. It sounds like he's accepted that Dick is short for Richard, but why someone would willingly go along with being called Dick.

nardog 09-21-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daedalus34r (Post 14751995)
richard ~> dick
william ~> bill

never really understood this myself

Also

Robert > Bob

CJPatel 09-21-2012 10:46 PM

My gym teacher in High School was named Andy Dick, so on my schedule it came up as A. Dick. And his wife's name was Anita, my english teacher. Anita Dick

Edit or was it Tara.... hmmm its been a while