E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Gun Talk (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   NFA Talk (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=946304)

david05111 09-22-2012 04:56 PM

NFA Talk

Thought it might be nice to create a thread specifically devoted to NFA questions and issues. I know I've created loads of threads regarding my own stuff and ask loads of dumb questions, but this might be a nice thread to keep all that sort of discussion in one place.

For the sake of being productive, here are some links to common ATF NFA Forms.

Form 1 --> Application to Make a Firearm

Form 4 --> Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm

Form 20 --> Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain NFA Firearms

Certification of Compliance

Serbonze 09-22-2012 05:14 PM

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...072&highlight=

Slacker, you even posted in it. :D

Adam@Euro-Spec 09-22-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serbonze (Post 14753923)

He's trying to steal your ideas. :yikes:

Onto NFA talk though whats on everyones shortlist for NFA items:

1. When my seekins lower comes in I will have it engraved to be an SBR.
2. When I get my PS90 engrave it and form 1 it.
3. 556/762 Can
4. 9mm can

Long List:
Draco SBR

david05111 09-22-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serbonze (Post 14753923)

Oh God...that's a serious :facepalm: on my part. Why the hell do we never use that thread??!

Thinking about having this one closed...but for the hell of it, expanding on your idea Adam.

1) Pay off and take delivery of the M16
2) Profit?

Actually have no idea what I want at this point, as far as NFA is concerned. My latest Form 1 is in for approval, but won't be set til feb/march. The SDN6 will be sweet, but I won't get that til then either. The only other stuff I can think of are more machine guns, more specifically an MP40 or an MP5. But seeing as one would cost me at least $10,000 and the other upwards of $30,000, I don't see either happening very soon, if ever. At the moment, I'm sorta NFA'd out, aside from uppers and stuff.

Adam@Euro-Spec 09-22-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david05111 (Post 14753933)
Oh God...that's a serious :facepalm: on my part. Why the hell do we never use that thread??!

Thinking about having this one closed...but for the hell of it, expanding on your idea Adam.

1) Pay off and take delivery of the M16
2) Profit?

Actually have no idea what I want at this point, as far as NFA is concerned. My latest Form 1 is in for approval, but won't be set til feb/march. The SDN6 will be sweet, but I won't get that til then either. The only other stuff I can think of are more machine guns, more specifically an MP40 or an MP5. But seeing as one would cost me at least $10,000 and the other upwards of $30,000, I don't see either happening very soon, if ever. At the moment, I'm sorta NFA'd out, aside from uppers and stuff.

I can see you picking up one of these would look real nice next to that benelli

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0488053736.jpg

david05111 09-22-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec (Post 14753957)
I can see you picking up one of these would look real nice next to that benelli

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0488053736.jpg

Tromix Saiga?

Funny thing is that my buddy is on the trust as well; he's a co-trustee. He is obsessed with shotguns and has a Saiga right now that he plans to Form 1 and have cut or modified. He was super jealous when he found out I bought the Benelli, though he doesn't really have any right to be. He hasn't added anything to the trust yet haha; so far, its been all me!

He might be picking up a LWRC PSD, Mini 7, a Striker Shotgun, and a Street Sweeper Shotgun soon though...I think the last two are actually AOWs with a $5 stamp.

Adam@Euro-Spec 09-22-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david05111 (Post 14753964)
Tromix Saiga?

Funny thing is that my buddy is on the trust as well; he's a co-trustee. He is obsessed with shotguns and has a Saiga right now that he plans to Form 1 and have cut or modified. He was super jealous when he found out I bought the Benelli, though he doesn't really have any right to be. He hasn't added anything to the trust yet haha; so far, its been all me!

He might be picking up a LWRC PSD, Mini 7, a Striker Shotgun, and a Street Sweeper Shotgun soon though...I think the last two are actually AOWs with a $5 stamp.

Shottys are fun. the PSD is a nice little toy...local shop had 1 I was playing with before.

david05111 09-22-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec (Post 14753976)
Shottys are fun. the PSD is a nice little toy...local shop had 1 I was playing with before.

See I don't see the appeal of something that short in 5.56 personally...maybe in 6.8, but I'd never get into that caliber myself.

I just the effectiveness of the 5.56 round is fairly terrible at that length. Now, if the PSD came in 300 blackout, then things might be different for me at least. I know that Noveske makes an 8 inch upper in that...

Reedo302 09-23-2012 11:49 PM

8" barrels for 5.56 certainly isn't optimal, but there are certain loads that work quite well with it. Your range is just heavily limited with them.
Heavy loads actually tend to do better. The Mk262 77gr OTM loads work very well because they will yaw easily. The best option is actually going to a Barnes TSX bullet. The 70gr TSX is designed to optimally expand all the way down to 1800fps, but they'll come out of an 8" barrel at around 2100-2250fps or so. 45gr and 50gr TSX bullets will be much faster, and still perform well. Short of those loads though, an 8" barrel is not good for much for actual offensive/duty use. They're fun to shoot, though. But holy **** do they have a lot of concussion.

david05111 09-24-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reedo302 (Post 14756503)
8" barrels for 5.56 certainly isn't optimal, but there are certain loads that work quite well with it. Your range is just heavily limited with them.
Heavy loads actually tend to do better. The Mk262 77gr OTM loads work very well because they will yaw easily. The best option is actually going to a Barnes TSX bullet. The 70gr TSX is designed to optimally expand all the way down to 1800fps, but they'll come out of an 8" barrel at around 2100-2250fps or so. 45gr and 50gr TSX bullets will be much faster, and still perform well. Short of those loads though, an 8" barrel is not good for much for actual offensive/duty use. They're fun to shoot, though. But holy **** do they have a lot of concussion.

Interesting...I figured there was some load that might be effetive. I'm just not convinced something that short is for me though.

And yeah, my 12.5 with the brake is crazy concussive. I imagine that an 8 inch barrel is just nuts. The thing that gets me is: how in the world do people who might actually have to use these things in combat deal with the noise, flash, and concussion? I mean, for instance, the PSD stands for Personal Self Defense I think...might be wrong about that. Regardless, these things AR supposed to be used by private security forces, etc. for close proximity protection of ViPs. I doubt that these guys wear hearing protection on duty...these things must be so disorienting and painful to shoot in those conditions

tailo 09-24-2012 11:22 AM

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/866/65605285.jpg
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/1726/pug3i.png

david05111 10-04-2012 04:56 PM

Question about a Form 20 (application to temporarily export or travel with nfa weapons).

One part of the form asks for "mode of transportation." Now, I'm applying for this thing for a year to a friend's place in Virginia. It says I have to provide the name and address of the common carrier if I use one.

How in the hell am I supposed to be able to provide that information? If I don't know precisely when I'll be traveling, how can I tell them what airline I might use. Maybe I'll use Jetblue the first time and Delta the next. That's an absurd question.

I could just put Automobile and be done with it, but I know for a fact that I'll not always want to take the car and might just want to take off for the weekend by plane. Surely there must be some way of satisfying the box without limiting my options that way? I was going to try "Automobile or Commercial Airline to be determined" but I doubt they'll approve that.

If no one has a clue, I guess I'll call the NFA hotline tomorrow and ask about it. Surely there must be some way around this...

Adam@Euro-Spec 10-04-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david05111 (Post 14788526)
Question about a Form 20 (application to temporarily export or travel with nfa weapons).

One part of the form asks for "mode of transportation." Now, I'm applying for this thing for a year to a friend's place in Virginia. It says I have to provide the name and address of the common carrier if I use one.

How in the hell am I supposed to be able to provide that information? If I don't know precisely when I'll be traveling, how can I tell them what airline I might use. Maybe I'll use Jetblue the first time and Delta the next. That's an absurd question.

I could just put Automobile and be done with it, but I know for a fact that I'll not always want to take the car and might just want to take off for the weekend by plane. Surely there must be some way of satisfying the box without limiting my options that way? I was going to try "Automobile or Commercial Airline to be determined" but I doubt they'll approve that.

If no one has a clue, I guess I'll call the NFA hotline tomorrow and ask about it. Surely there must be some way around this...

I know somebody on the local forum put down "car, personal gyrocopter, or motorscooter"

But another person commented and said they always put and have no problems with:
"Personally Owned Conveyance", is what I normally put.

That way anything for the mode of transportation will be covered (Boat/Vehicle/Motorcycle/Plane/Bicycle/Hiking).

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=90224

david05111 10-04-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec (Post 14788593)
I know somebody on the local forum put down "car, personal gyrocopter, or motorscooter"

But another person commented and said they always put and have no problems with:
"Personally Owned Conveyance", is what I normally put.

That way anything for the mode of transportation will be covered (Boat/Vehicle/Motorcycle/Plane/Bicycle/Hiking).

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=90224

:rofl: @ gyrocopter

Trouble with that one is that I don't own an airline haha...that's not a "personally owned conveyance"

Serbonze 10-07-2012 09:50 AM

I want a .22 suppressor. Give me some options. :)

Adam@Euro-Spec 10-07-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serbonze (Post 14794656)
I want a .22 suppressor. Give me some options. :)

Ss sparrow, great can, easy to take apart and silencerco are good people. I paid $375 for mine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App

david05111 10-07-2012 06:58 PM

I have an element and I like it

Reedo302 10-07-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david05111 (Post 14795560)
I have an element and I like it

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...08-28-2011.jpg

Adam@Euro-Spec 10-07-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reedo302 (Post 14796066)

Closest thing you can get to an AAC element :eeps:

david05111 10-07-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reedo302 (Post 14796066)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec (Post 14796099)
Closest thing you can get to an AAC element :eeps:

Hahaha :rofl:

He got ya there Reedo