E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Food Talk (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Slow Cooker ingredients (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=947066)

Hockeyman17 09-26-2012 12:20 PM

Slow Cooker ingredients

I'm going to attempt to use my hand-me-down slow cooker for the first time tomorrow. I plan to throw in; frozen Chicken breast, cucumber, tomato. My questions are;

Is it ok to throw whole frozen chicken breast in?
What are other good healthy ingredients i could use for this mix?

evolved 09-26-2012 01:38 PM

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ighlight=crock

DylloS 09-27-2012 03:27 PM

cucumber? No man lol.

kushy 09-27-2012 04:45 PM

in b4 solly...oh wait

stevenluczynski 09-27-2012 04:58 PM

The cucumber will just melt

217Bimmer 10-01-2012 04:44 PM

you must consider the cooking times of the ingredients. soft veggies will become too soft if left in for the time it takes to cook things like meats and potatoes/carrots.

make solly's chicken and salsa thing. it's fvcking terrific. i've modified it and made it probably 5 times.

DylloS 10-05-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 217Bimmer (Post 14778421)
you must consider the cooking times of the ingredients. soft veggies will become too soft if left in for the time it takes to cook things like meats and potatoes/carrots.

make solly's chicken and salsa thing. it's fvcking terrific. i've modified it and made it probably 5 times.

what did you do to change it up?

217Bimmer 10-08-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylloS (Post 14791505)
what did you do to change it up?

can't remember what you did now, but this is my version:

2lbs chicken
large onion, chopped
jar of salsa
can of black beans
can of corn nibblets
packet of taco seasoning

whatever else you may want to add. cook 5 hours on low, then shred chicken. serve on tortillas with sour cream, jalapenos, cheese, etc.

tastes ****ing amazing!! like chicken enchiladas!

evolved 10-08-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 217Bimmer (Post 14796816)
can't remember what you did now, but this is my version:

2lbs chicken
large onion, chopped
jar of salsa
can of black beans
can of corn nibblets
packet of taco seasoning

whatever else you may want to add. cook 5 hours on low, then shred chicken. serve on tortillas with sour cream, jalapenos, cheese, etc.

tastes ****ing amazing!! like chicken enchiladas!

Just assembled this exact concoction this morning, except I added a few sliced jalapenos, and 2 cans of black beans. It'll be cooking for around 8 hrs on low, though.

217Bimmer 10-08-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evolved (Post 14796825)
Just assembled this exact concoction this morning, except I added a few sliced jalapenos, and 2 cans of black beans. It'll be cooking for around 8 hrs on low, though.

nice! i have to add the peppers after as my gf will spontaneously combust if she eats anything spicy ;)

might have to make this ish tomorrow ahah making me hungry!

benjamin1 10-08-2012 02:59 PM

Does anyone have any tips on making that into a taco filling? Every time I make it, it ends up being so watery that we serve it as a chip dip. I drain the corn, drain the beans. The only thing I can think of is that I typically use frozen chicken.. Maybe I have to defrost first?

Edit: also if people are looking to change it up, we've added non fat cream cheese to it before and it's pretty good.

evolved 10-08-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjamin1 (Post 14797506)
Does anyone have any tips on making that into a taco filling? Every time I make it, it ends up being so watery that we serve it as a chip dip. I drain the corn, drain the beans. The only thing I can think of is that I typically use frozen chicken.. Maybe I have to defrost first?

Edit: also if people are looking to change it up, we've added non fat cream cheese to it before and it's pretty good.

Maybe use more chicken?

217Bimmer 10-08-2012 05:53 PM

use more chicken, use less salsa, use a thicker salsa, strain salsa.

benjamin1 10-09-2012 10:19 AM

Usually use 3 chicken breasts. I could definitely do more - and the salsa that I typically use is thick and chunky. I didn't think about straining it though. Thanks

DylloS 10-09-2012 02:42 PM

Before and after. Very simple recipe this time. Just chicken, salsa, and taco seasoning. Not watery at all.

evolved 10-09-2012 03:07 PM

Made it yesterday and it was :drool:

Tonight I'm going to take two whole wheat tortillas, put some of this chicken mixture on top with a little cheese, chives, and put a fried egg on top of each one :drool:

217Bimmer 10-09-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylloS (Post 14800269)
Before and after. Very simple recipe this time. Just chicken, salsa, and taco seasoning. Not watery at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by evolved (Post 14800344)
Made it yesterday and it was :drool:

Tonight I'm going to take two whole wheat tortillas, put some of this chicken mixture on top with a little cheese, chives, and put a fried egg on top of each one :drool:

:ben: so hungry! i'm coming over. be to stl in 3 hours. pm your address.

iwannagofast 10-12-2012 02:23 PM

my 16 bean soup i posted in the food pic thread.....

one of my fav things to make if you have a croc pot or a slow cooker... and its really cheap

buy the 16 bean packs or 15 bean packs they have and soak them overnight or you can boil them for a min then put them in cold water and let them sit for an hour or 2....

start with a mirepoix in a frying pan with some olive oil.... remember hot pan cold oil food will never stick.... after a couple min put a couple cloves of chopped garlic and fry for another couple min...

put the mirepoix and the beans in a slow cooker or crock pot.
add in..
-2 bay leaves
-1 table spoon cumin
-3 or 4 chopped roma tomatoes or you can buy a some chopped ones in a can or box and strain and add.
-good amount of fresh cracked pepper
-1 pack of salt pork that is chopped from the store (basically a strip of pig belly, really fatty stuff)
- 1 left over ham hock or you can buy one from the butcher that is used for stocks and soups
or you can buy the small cubed ham chunks near the bacon in the store....
- 2 heavy pinches of crushed red pepper
- couple heavy squirts of sriracha
- i also like to add some chopped up red potatoes too

then cover it all with unsalted chicken broth.. the salt pork will add the "salt". you can always add it after.... let it sit in the crock pot or slow cooker for 8 -10 hours..

prep at night and let it cook while sleeping and at work and have a good bowl of soup for when you get home... i like to add a scoop of rice on the bottom

the longer it sits in the pot the better it tastes too lol

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...7&d=1344969177

evolved 11-27-2012 12:20 PM

Bump.

Threw together some white chicken chili in the crock pot this morning:

-2 green peppers
-2 jalapenos
-3 serrano peppers
-1 yellow onion
-a big jar of white northern beans
-6 garlic gloves, minced
-2ish lbs of chicken breast
-cumin to taste
-salt to taste
-chipotle chili powder (just a few dashes)
-crushed red pepper
-3 cups of low sodium chicken broth
-some white pepper (don't use much, it's taste is strong)

I think that's it. I chopped everything up, threw in the frozen chicken boob and turned the crock pot on low at around 830AM. I'll be home around 6 to shred the chicken, wait a little bit and then boom.

217Bimmer 11-28-2012 09:22 AM

^ nice! i made some chicken chili a few weeks ago. great leftover too. gets better with age