E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Engine, possibly clutch issues? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=947196)

mattfarrington 09-27-2012 01:19 AM

Engine, possibly clutch issues?

To anyone who is knowledgeable about clutches on the E46..
Mine grabs fully when it's basically fully out (top of the peddle). So I feel I need to replace it soon.
Andy tells me BMW's have auto adjusting clutches, so it shouldn't do that. And that if it doesn't slip, don't replace it.

The past couple days I've been beating on it a bit, to try and recreate something I've noticed.

When I bring it to redline or close, and shift quick enough, I hear a slight "grind"? noise.
More of sandpaper rubbing against itself, but for a split second. I'm assuming it's my clutch slipping at that point due to the high RPM and low life left?

Also, yesterday, I took off out of a turn and noticed I had NO power. Normally first gear takes a second, 2nd gear takes a like 5 seconds.. (Just using the numbers as a reference. Not actual. Obviously.)
But when I took off that time, I was on the floor and not moving. It took like 4-5 seconds for first gear, and like 20 seconds to get out of second.

No idea what happened, it has done this one other time, or so I think. Not sure if I just imagined the other time.

But I was thinking maybe my car went into "limp" mode for a moment?

Eurobahn BMW 09-27-2012 01:25 AM

which way did you turn, how hard, and how much gas did you have in your car, how long was the duration of the turn?

the grinding noise i have no clue.

mattfarrington 09-27-2012 01:28 AM

The loss of power feeling was right after I exited the turn. It was from a stop sign going left. The turn was like 10 feet, and it took FOREVER to get out of first and second. Not normal at all.

And the noise I think is my clutch. It would make sense to me.

ALSO.. when I start the car, in the engine bay area, I feel a slight vibration. Also new. Kinda feel like something starting, after the engine started.. but it feel very rough. I feel it in my feet.

Eurobahn BMW 09-27-2012 01:31 AM

could be your mounts, think small and work your way up. how many miles on the thing?

mattfarrington 09-27-2012 01:33 AM

Could be but that doesn't make sense in my case.
And oh boy.. about to hit 180k next week.

I do however, need to do my Rear Diff carrier bushings. I THINK.
Sometimes there is a clunk in the rear end when I shift at the right rpm, or if I let off the gas at the right rpm, it'll clunk.

Beamer Creamer 10-01-2012 12:18 AM

Did your rpms climb as you were giving it gas( clutch slipping) or was engine not producing the power? Not sure how you hear sounds or what u know but right b4 shifter goes in gear noise may be synchros in trans gettin worse? Try taking off in 4th gear and see if stalls car or slips clutch

mattfarrington 10-01-2012 05:02 PM

Clutch is perfect, feels almost new says the mechanic. (Normally works on maserati's and ferrari's)
The issue was my fuel pump was starting to die.
But now it's just dead. 20psi, where it SHOULD be giving 50psi.

When I go to get the car, he wants me to take him on a little drive, to show him the noise.
Free pass to beat the **** out for this car for a bit. lol

Beamer Creamer 10-01-2012 09:16 PM

So what was grinding noise when shifting?

mattfarrington 10-01-2012 09:51 PM

Not sure yet. When I pick up the car, I'll take him for a ride to show him.