E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Australia (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Pre-facelift coupes being made to look like Facelift (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=947384)

Fazza3792 09-28-2012 12:30 AM

Pre-facelift coupes being made to look like Facelift
 
I recently went to buy a car under the impression it was an '03 model face-lift coupe. It wasn't till the seller told me the car was actually pre-face-lift and he had upgraded the car.

The job looked so believable and well-done, down to the smallest detail. All bodypanels, indicators, the hood and trunklid were all face-lift. I was actually impressed with the work. Have any of you guys seen these before?

Chewy 09-28-2012 12:45 AM

It wouldn't be very hard to do. Just change a couple of panels and lights, etc.
The only reason why I think it would have been changed us because it was in an accident.

DeclanM3 09-28-2012 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazza3792 (Post 14769786)
I recently went to buy a car under the impression it was an '03 model face-lift coupe. It wasn't till the seller told me the car was actually pre-face-lift and he had upgraded the car.

The job looked so believable and well-done, down to the smallest detail. All bodypanels, indicators, the hood and trunklid were all face-lift. I was actually impressed with the work. Have any of you guys seen these before?

Yeah, I've seen one in QLD. Johnie from 5th Gear has actually done it to an M3 in the UK.

The one I saw in QLD was obvious though because it didn't have OEM headlights and IIRC had the short boot handle. There are a heap of small differences between the two models that many people wouldn't change. Look for things like the boot handle, OEM LED tail lights, the center headrest etc.

Fazza3792 09-28-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeclanM3 (Post 14769884)
Yeah, I've seen one in QLD. Johnie from 5th Gear has actually done it to an M3 in the UK.

The one I saw in QLD was obvious though because it didn't have OEM headlights and IIRC had the short boot handle. There are a heap of small differences between the two models that many people wouldn't change. Look for things like the boot handle, OEM LED tail lights, the center headrest etc.

Surprisingly, he was pretty extensive with the upgrade, everything on the outside and inside was upgraded (Not too sure about under the bonnet, I wasn't interested in the car when he was a bit hesitant about an inspection, couldn;t come up with service history or reciepts for the work), but the handle at the back, the hood, the indicators were all upgraded!

I lurk around these forums quite a bit cause they're very helpful but I was surprised I'd never seen anyone mention this. lol probably because of the time/cost etc...
Just interesting to see :P

simsima325 09-28-2012 11:07 AM

accident car

Fazza3792 09-28-2012 11:25 AM

Without a doubt!

steve.k 09-29-2012 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewy (Post 14769822)
It wouldn't be very hard to do. Just change a couple of panels and lights, etc.
The only reason why I think it would have been changed us because it was in an accident.

+1.... or the owner is overly obsessed.. which i doubt.

Fazza3792 09-29-2012 04:15 AM

Definitely a written-off car, weirdly enough he's selling for a clean facelift price. Let's hope someone isn't silly enough to go for it. Sounds like trouble.

YGOAMG 09-29-2012 08:24 PM

How many rear head rests did he have?

Fazza3792 09-30-2012 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YGOAMG (Post 14773841)
How many rear head rests did he have?

Hey man, I didn't think to count lol
He did upgrade the whole interior to 2005 though, it had the two-tone on the steering wheel and doors so he might have salvaged the seats from an 05 coupe too. He obviously put a lot of effort in it.

JS330 09-30-2012 05:07 AM

My '01 has an '05 interior, rear passenger panels from 05 don't have speakers in them which is weird


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use