E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Site Feedback/Questions/Suggestions (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   50 minimum post (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=947465)

fastsoup 09-28-2012 12:49 PM

50 minimum post

When I was over at MY.IS forum, they never allowed an account to post classified ads unless they had made a minimum of 50 "legitimate" posts. I have seen two beautiful sets of rims for sale, but I am hesitant because they have the 1 post...

Mods, please consider adding this rule to our forum to keep it nice and clean. :thumbup:

kaldE46 09-28-2012 12:51 PM

Maybe you should put this in the site feedback section.

ryohei 09-28-2012 12:53 PM

I am in favor of an idea like this, but i have noticed this forum seems to have a lot of lurkers who wouldn't have a high post count, me included.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

dmax 09-28-2012 12:56 PM

I've been on forums where you're required just a few posts before you can start a thread...and that would seemingly help reduce our recent spate of drive-by spammers.

choxor 09-28-2012 01:01 PM

I totally agree. I've made this comment when reporting threads before when the thread's been in general and the person's first post is a classified.

There should be some kind of post count before being able to post classifieds. It would help deter scam artists.

Dmax, I agree with that as well, however I've noticed in the past that the bots will reply to threads with stuff like "looks great" or "okay" before creating their own threads so the minimum post limit would have to be pretty high to be effective.

Alex323Ci 09-28-2012 01:17 PM

I made this same request years ago. I was told something like then you'd need a moderator to just patrol the Classifieds and they didn't have time. I was also told a scammer is going to Scam no matter what limits are set and best to beware of any seller and use common sense in any and all deals.

fastsoup 09-28-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choxor (Post 14770821)
i totally agree. I've made this comment when reporting threads before when the thread's been in general and the person's first post is a classified.

There should be some kind of post count before being able to post classifieds. It would help deter scam artists.

Dmax, i agree with that as well, however i've noticed in the past that the bots will reply to threads with stuff like "looks great" or "okay" before creating their own threads so the minimum post limit would have to be pretty high to be effective.

+1

fastsoup 09-28-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex323Ci (Post 14770866)
I made this same request years ago. I was told something like then you'd need a moderator to just patrol the Classifieds and they didn't have time. I was also told a scammer is going to Scam no matter what limits are set and best to beware of any seller and use common sense in any and all deals.

Fair enough...but when you drop a limitation as easy as the one I have suggested, it deters people from invading this site.

choxor 09-28-2012 02:10 PM

Can't it be done with promotions? By default new users can't create threads until X number of posts except in maybe new member introductions? Maybe not with a 50 post minimum, but with 15 or 20? That way new members could still introduce themselves, but we wouldn't get people using the site as craigslist, it would give a chance to catch the bots before they create 5 spam threads, and it would lessen the "what intake is the best" and "what oil do I use" threads that litter general because people would be forced to search before mindlessly starting new ones.

Just my two cents.

And alex, I totally agree, it's not going to completely stop scammers. People have to rely on their own common sense when doing business on the internet, but I think it would make a pretty good deterrent for the lazier ones.

Alex323Ci 09-28-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choxor (Post 14771005)
Can't it be done with promotions? By default new users can't create threads until X number of posts except in maybe new member introductions? Maybe not with a 50 post minimum, but with 15 or 20? That way new members could still introduce themselves, but we wouldn't get people using the site as craigslist, it would give a chance to catch the bots before they create 5 spam threads, and it would lessen the "what intake is the best" and "what oil do I use" threads that litter general because people would be forced to search before mindlessly starting new ones.
Just my two cents.

And alex, I totally agree, it's not going to completely stop scammers. People have to rely on their own common sense when doing business on the internet, but I think it would make a pretty good deterrent for the lazier ones.

I absolutely agree. It was not my response, mine was a call to have a minimum post count to weed out those bad elements. I have posted this suggestion more than once. :thumbup:

GlockMan 09-28-2012 06:02 PM

Shiet.

There should be a minimum post of 50 in a separate room before you can post anything on here.

This place is an idiot magnet.

:rolleyes: