E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   In and out of the shop... (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=947699)

vicariously13 09-29-2012 11:33 PM

In and out of the shop...

But I love it! All my coworkers think I'm insane. I'm that guy who types out a painstakingly detailed list of service and inspection items... 2 weeks ago, it was spark plugs, coolant and brake fluid flush, and a new fuel filter. Today I had an oil change, full transmission and differential service... In 2 more weeks, new tires, control arm bushings and a rear trailing arm replacement along with a 4 wheel alignment. 2 weeks later, fuel injection service, and an AFE intake. Once all that's done, I will look into some coil overs, full Active Autowerke exhaust system and the AA software.

So my question is this... Am I the only one who looks forward to going to their trusted Indy shop to baby their vehicle? Each time I pick up my car, it runs just *that* much better. Btw, my car is an 04 330ci with 120k miles :)

MrEmitter 09-30-2012 02:39 AM

When I know something needs to be fixed/replaced on my car I worry and drive safely until I get to go to my indy shop on the weekends. Like now I know I need to get my bushings replaced and get new tires, after that I need to get my brakes replaced and get an alignment, etc, etc.

MJLavelle 09-30-2012 02:58 AM

I would rather do it myself. If you are paying a shop to install an AFE intake, then you are soon going to go broke driving an e46.
Now, I do love the feeling of fixing something myself for $60. Hell, I almost get a boner when that happens. Paying an Indy shop $400 to do so is an anti-boner. A soft-on, basically.
If you see my car in an Indy shop it is either because I am working 90 hours a week, I am too sick to work on it, or I have hit something that I can not repair. In any of these cases, I will be pissed, angry, and suspicious of anything that breaks on my car for the next six months. I will also have a less than comfortable feeling about the work done, and will be wondering just what shortcuts they took that I would not have taken if I did it myself.
I will also not trust a single part they installed, unless I handed it to them, which is exactly what I do.
There is no such thing as a trusted shop. If my own father ran a shop, I would still feel the same way.
But, I am sure they smile when you come walking in!

325inthe510 09-30-2012 03:22 AM

There's nothing to be proud of if you take it to a shop for piss easy maintenance items.

MJLavelle 09-30-2012 03:38 AM

By the way, "Vicariously13" sounds like a user name on a pedophile web site. I would rather have "IamAGiantTool" as a user name, or even "Kpeng" (which is redundant). Are you typing with one hand?

jhaurimn 09-30-2012 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJLavelle (Post 14774369)
I would rather do it myself. If you are paying a shop to install an AFE intake, then you are soon going to go broke driving an e46.
Now, I do love the feeling of fixing something myself for $60. Hell, I almost get a boner when that happens. Paying an Indy shop $400 to do so is an anti-boner. A soft-on, basically.
If you see my car in an Indy shop it is either because I am working 90 hours a week, I am too sick to work on it, or I have hit something that I can not repair. In any of these cases, I will be pissed, angry, and suspicious of anything that breaks on my car for the next six months. I will also have a less than comfortable feeling about the work done, and will be wondering just what shortcuts they took that I would not have taken if I did it myself.
I will also not trust a single part they installed, unless I handed it to them, which is exactly what I do.
There is no such thing as a trusted shop. If my own father ran a shop, I would still feel the same way.
But, I am sure they smile when you come walking in!

Couldn't agree more to all of this !

vicariously13 09-30-2012 09:37 AM

To address a few things...
My shop charges me fair prices. I've been a customer for 9 years, referred more than 15 other customers that are also regulars and they treat their customers very well.
My current living situation doesn't offer a garage, so I can't work on my own car just yet. Trust me, there are plenty of things I would rather do myself but I just don't have the real estate for it. I'm a young professional, give me time! :/
The AFE intake install is being done immediately after a fuel injection service and they're ordering the part based on the part number at a discounted rate and installing it at no cost for me.
As far as my user name, it's not meant to be read linear, it's segmented. "Vicariously" was just simply a song by Tool I just happened to be listening to at the time of creating my user name and email address from the Bimmerfest forum. 13 is a Fibonacci number between 8 and 21, my birthday (August 21st). So 13 has always been a special number for me.

ZHPinthe103 09-30-2012 09:47 AM

Its so dumb how theres so much hostility on this site for people who dont jack up their cars and get under them. Fvck that. Im not trying to be a mechanic. and who wants to get their hands dirty.

chinx 09-30-2012 09:48 AM

Leoo!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App