E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Xi Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   2002 330xi in winter hill (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=947887)

bimmerwinter 09-30-2012 10:24 PM

2002 330xi in winter hill

I live out in the country in Iowa and all we have now are 4x4s. I am looking to get a 330xi because of the awd. The reason I have to have 4wd/awd is I live on a steep lane that sometimes goes unplowed. I know once it is plowed, I can make it in anything. I just want to know if it will make it up the hill after a snow, and how deep you think is too deep for it. Also, i was hopeing to get a manuel, but i want to know if you think an automatic bmw would be better in snow (and yes, i know how to drive stick, my old GMC truck was a stick). Thanks for all responses.

SamDoe1 10-01-2012 08:41 AM

With a good set of snow tires, the Xi will dominate all. I've driven through 16 inches of snow before and followed my friend's jeep through mostly everything. Only time I got stuck is when I stopped and sunk in, the only reason for this is lack of ground clearance though.

yo_marc 10-01-2012 04:13 PM

I'm sorry, I don't an Xi is good for any snow over 7 inches, max. And that's fresh snow. Solid or frozen stuff, I'd limit it to 4 inches. All you need to do is hit a solid clump left by a plow or what have you, and it's going to take out the lower front air dam and potentially the shields underneath.

Plows in my area do a lousy job of cleaning up my road. I cringe when I see any ruts or junk left behind... I've bottomed my wifes Xi out a few times.

I prefer manuals in the snow. I like autos for commuting or relaxing drives. Manual for when you need full control of the vehicle.

bimmerwinter 10-01-2012 09:31 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. I have always wanted a BMW since I was a kid. I am glad that the xi's can handle the snowy stuff, and that the Manuel in them is geared right that it will work in snow. I knew the quattro would work, but I have always preferred bimmers, so I'm glad to know it will work. I will be looking towards a 330 with a manuel so I can enjoy it during the other three seasons.

yo_marc 10-02-2012 08:08 AM

:thumbup:

They're definitely fun in the snow! I just wouldn't use one to bust through snowbanks ;)

The balance of the car and the power distribution make the car a blast to drive. Plenty of 'steering with the right foot' when traction control is disabled.

SamDoe1 10-02-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo_marc (Post 14779902)
:thumbup:

They're definitely fun in the snow! I just wouldn't use one to bust through snowbanks ;)

Cannot emphasize this enough. While the car will dominate snow with the right set of tires, it is not and will never be a 7000lb body on frame truck that can blast through snow banks like nothing ever happened. If you try to do that, you will get stuck and will also have an excuse to buy a new front bumper.

TheJonRoss 10-03-2012 08:53 AM

My 325xi with Kumho Ectsa 4x's rips it up in the snow. I've had four 4x4 trucks, and although they could plow through anything, my Xi still feels better on an icy road.

Rickna 10-05-2012 05:56 AM

4 New england winters on Conti Contacts and no problems.

willkenni05 10-07-2012 11:03 AM

I had a '02 325xi auto on conti contacts for the past two NE Iowa winters, never had an issue. Like it was said earlier, I too felt a bit more secure driving that on an icy road than rumbling around in my F-150, like I had mor control... Now I upgraded to an '04 330xi w/6 speed so I'm excited to see how that handles the white stuff :excited:

White_Knuckles 10-07-2012 02:03 PM

Having an automatic XI, yes, mine is a snow cat in the Pacific Northwest. I'm a fan of studless, Goodrich Blizzak type tires for winter. All season flavors don't cut it here. Never had a problem ascending scary hills or ice situations. I leave DSC on and have seen the traction control lamp flicker while worming through, let's say, challenging conditions. I have not nor will consider lowering my car. The extra height helps clear the air dam when running on unplowed, rutted roads should you slip off into the trench.

Great cars auto or manual. I've actually tried to perform "bat turns" jacking the wheel while gassing her. No deal and no fun. You have to disable DSC to play "drifting" driver.

TwoDuckDad 10-17-2012 10:44 AM

2001 330xi takes me from Portland, OR to Bend, OR (I5 S to Hwy 22 East) every month all year long. Do a google map on this road and you'll see it is windy, has a 4000' summit, and a joy to drive on wet or snow covered roads.

I drive on Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires and couldn't be happier. They run well in wet and snow and are all season so no swapping.

I have never put chains on the car even in the dead of winter with plowed snow on roads. I have not gone on unplowed roads. That is for my Yukon Denali.

TRGRENIER 10-26-2012 09:23 PM

I have a 2004 325xi, with b30 stroker kit, I live in north west Canada, and have pushed the car threw many un plowed roads the air dam does fill with snow but the rash guard does seem to hold up pretty well. I can also say people are amazed when a little sedan pulls tundras and small suv's out the ditch. Only thing that sucks is the dsc does make it hard to get out of the way of traffic from a stop.

redbull 325is 11-02-2012 05:38 PM

If you are looking at buying a 330xi with a manual transmission i'd get the later 03+ 6 speed. I've driven 5 and 6 speeds back to back and much prefer the 6 speeds! Hope you find the perfect car :)