E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Calorie counting (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=947981)

DylloS 10-01-2012 11:43 AM

Calorie counting

Starting today because I think estimating isn't going to let me hit my goals. Anyone else do this?

Shooting for 2850 cals.

Weight-167
Goal-180

time- 1 year

I'm using myfitnesspal for the iphone and after my lunch I'll only need 1200 cals. Should be pretty easy to hit.

jmcdolej 10-01-2012 12:43 PM

I am trying the opposite.

DylloS 10-01-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcdolej (Post 14777711)

not counting and losing? I think not counting but being aware is a good starting point but to fine tune I think counting is probably a better method.

Mike Larry 10-01-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcdolej (Post 14777711)

Me too. I'm sick of tracking each and every calorie. For the past couple months, I've watched what I eat (nutritional content) but I've just ballparked how much I eat. I think it works much better

M3Inline6 10-01-2012 01:05 PM

I ballpark and just pay close attention to my body as I adjust macros up/down.

DylloS 10-01-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Larry (Post 14777769)
Me too. I'm sick of tracking each and every calorie. For the past couple months, I've watched what I eat (nutritional content) but I've just ballparked how much I eat. I think it works much better

works better how? In results or sanity? I think with the app and after a week or so I'll enter my food like it's nothing.

dwass325 10-01-2012 02:26 PM

Unless you are well versed in nutrition (and usually also when you are well versed in nutrition), "ballparking" is another way of saying "lying to myself."

DylloS 10-01-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwass325 (Post 14778010)
Unless you are well versed in nutrition (and usually also when you are well versed in nutrition), "ballparking" is another way of saying "lying to myself."

I highly agree with this.

jmcdolej 10-01-2012 02:34 PM

I meant the opposite: less calories to lose, not gain. I track calories through the points system of weight watchers. 2800+ is a huge amount of calories. I think I eat about 1500 a day.

DylloS 10-01-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcdolej (Post 14778032)
I meant the opposite: less calories to lose, not gain. I track calories through the points system of weight watchers. 2800+ is a huge amount of calories. I think I eat about 1500 a day.

I got that in 1.5 meals lol

dabears 10-01-2012 03:01 PM

It sucks, but its necessary. I always track calories when starting a new goal, whether its to lose or gain weight... I want to make sure that what I think i'm doing I actually am. So I count with the myfitnesspal app (barcode scanner is unreal when you are cooking, just scan an ingredient and make the recipe in the app as you cook). I've done it enough now, both gaining and losing weight, that I am able to sufficiently ballpark my meals and know that I'm getting both the calories I need, plus meeting my macros.

I think everyone should count for a bit, it's a crash course in what makes up the food you eat.

jmcdolej 10-01-2012 03:25 PM

Counting is definetly eye opening. I use a scanner app also. I am just so stupid on nutrition. I dont even understand how you can eat 2800 calories and not get fat. It is the nutritional value of those calories? Or do you just work out so enough to offset them/

M3Inline6 10-01-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwass325 (Post 14778010)

What's wrong with a 'lil lie? :eeps:

I agree, but to play devil's advocate.....everything is a ballpark figure. You can look up 4oz. of chicken and find different values for the nutritional information. I always round up/over-estimate anyway (..and my g/f hates it! :P ). As long as my body is doing what I want it to, I figure that I'm doing something right.

P.S. I'm also a boring eater. Same stuff (..generally speaking) day in & day out. It's easy to track calories when you're eating the same foods in rotation.

dwass325 10-01-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcdolej (Post 14778188)
Counting is definetly eye opening. I use a scanner app also. I am just so stupid on nutrition. I dont even understand how you can eat 2800 calories and not get fat. It is the nutritional value of those calories? Or do you just work out so enough to offset them/

Anybody who eats 2800 calories of clean food is undoubtedly an athlete, so there's going to be high caloric/energy needs.

Also, 2800 calories of chicken/brown rice will be processed much differently than 2800 calories of, say, Twinkies.

These two things make it easy to not get fat off of such calories.

FYI eating close to, or over, 3k calories of clean food is a chore by itself.

dabears 10-01-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Have you used this yet to calculate your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate)?

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Everyone should know their maintenance level, all nutrition programs are based off it. Mine, at 24 yrs old, 6' and 170 lbs is 1800 calories a day (BMR), but I also exercise 5-6 days a week, which can burn anywhere from 250-750 calories depending on the activity. You also burn calories just by doing ordinary stuff (I work a desk job so I don't account for much extra). I usually assume I need around 2200 calories on any given day for maintaining.

If I ate 2800 calories (I aim for 2800-3200 right now) and wasn't lifting weights, I would gain fat. Law of thermodynamics and conservation of energy. But when the body is put under stress (weightlifting) and is given the tools to grow (calorie surplus made up of proper nutrients) then the majority of the excess calories are used up in growing the body to adapt to future stress.

dabears 10-01-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwass325 (Post 14778214)
Anybody who eats 2800 calories of clean food is undoubtedly an athlete, so there's going to be high caloric/energy needs.

Also, 2800 calories of chicken/brown rice will be processed much differently than 2800 calories of, say, Twinkies.

In the past I tried (and failed) to get my 3000ish daily calories while bulking from lean protein sources and complex carbs with little to no fat (60g or less in a day). Its incredibly difficult, at the end of the day... fat has more than twice the calories per gram than protein/carbs, and you can only pack so many scoops of protein powder in a shake or boil a package of chicken breasts to try and make up the difference.

I'm finding that by eating whole eggs, bacon, ribeye steaks, fish, ground beef, chicken thighs etc and a ton of high fat cheese, greek yogurt, sour cream, avocados etc and cycling my carb intake to post weightlifting only, in two months I've put on 3 lbs and have kept fat gain to an absolute minimum, which is exactly the slow, sustained result I was hoping for.

If I had to pick between cutting fat or trying to gain muscle, I'd go for cutting fat any day of the week. It's so much easier than stuffing your face 24/7, as awesome as it sounds its quite the opposite usually.

DylloS 10-01-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

I'll upload my daily food for you to see later tonight. At this rate I will be over 3000 and to me it's not even that much food.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwass325 (Post 14778214)

sometimes it definitely is. I made a beef stew that is packed with good cals so it's not to hard today.

DylloS 10-01-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabears (Post 14778248)
In the past I tried (and failed) to get my 3000ish daily calories while bulking from lean protein sources and complex carbs with little to no fat (60g or less in a day). Its incredibly difficult, at the end of the day... fat has more than twice the calories per gram than protein/carbs, and you can only pack so many scoops of protein powder in a shake or boil a package of chicken breasts to try and make up the difference.

I'm finding that by eating whole eggs, bacon, ribeye steaks, fish, ground beef, chicken thighs etc and a ton of high fat cheese, greek yogurt, sour cream, avocados etc and cycling my carb intake to post weightlifting only, in two months I've put on 3 lbs and have kept fat gain to an absolute minimum, which is exactly the slow, sustained result I was hoping for.

If I had to pick between cutting fat or trying to gain muscle, I'd go for cutting fat any day of the week. It's so much easier than stuffing your face 24/7, as awesome as it sounds its quite the opposite usually.

same here man. I would stuff my face with bread before ever considering a spoonful of coconut oil. Not anymore.

Mike Larry 10-01-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylloS (Post 14777873)
works better how? In results or sanity? I think with the app and after a week or so I'll enter my food like it's nothing.

Lol sorry I should've been more clear. I meant for my own sanity. If I'm cutting, I overestimate my calories on purpose. If bulking, I underestimate. Bear in mind: I counted calories for a while, so I'm pretty good at knowing the calorie content of my meals. Whenever I dont, I look it up in my phone and make a mental note.

So I guess in a sense, I'm still counting, but I'm not keeping a meticulous log.

dabears 10-01-2012 04:05 PM

calorie counting is a great educational tool, but I think it can definitely get into the territory of "paralysis by analysis" where you are more focused on the habit of logging the food you eat compared to focusing on actually just eating good wholesome food and working out.