E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Convertible (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   6 CD changer installation help (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=948178)

bimmernut3 10-02-2012 11:59 AM

6 CD changer installation help

I did a search in this section but didn't run across any DIY on adding the 6 Cd changer in the trunk. Can anyone give me some help on this. I see the plastic 'holder' on the left drivers side. Can I assume that this needs to be replaced with one that will hold the changer? Are the CD prewires located in this area?

94583 10-06-2012 11:34 PM

If your car is prewired for a cd-changer you will need to buy a new trunk liner for the left rear. You'll also need to purchase a new storage bin since the size of the compartment does change.

The changer btw goes in the drivers side rear. You'll see the harness wrapped in a cloth type cover with velcro.

You'll need to buy at a dealership and while you're there they will tell you what is needed for the install. If you cant find the parts, PM me.

Good luck!

bimmernut3 10-07-2012 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94583 (Post 14794182)
If your car is prewired for a CD-changer you will need to buy a new trunk liner for the left rear. You'll also need to purchase a new storage bin since the size of the compartment does change.

The changer btw goes in the drivers side rear. You'll see the harness wrapped in a cloth type cover with velcro.

You'll need to buy at a dealership and while you're there they will tell you what is needed for the install. If you cant find the parts, PM me.

Good luck!

Do you have any pictures of the unit installed? or of the side liner? I found the wires/connectors & see that it would need a holder bracket.

bimmernut3 10-14-2012 02:05 PM

FYI, I installed the 6 CD changer today & thought I'd post a pic & what you need. I found the prewire connectors as mentioned above. All you need to do is pull out the LH light & then the LH side truck carpet. Plug the conns. into the changer & then take the player & mount in to bracket #65128378545 (about $15) with (4) M4X6 screws, then mount the bracket assy to holes provided with screws & speed nuts. 5x. The player will fit perfectly in the existing carpet hole that the storage box was in. Pretty simple. Here's a picture after installed

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/picture...ictureid=26858

kmalik20 10-27-2013 09:01 PM

1999 320i Changer in 2004 325i

Maybe someone can give me the correct answer, I was given a cd changer from a 1999 320i, will this be able to be installed in a 2004 325i. There is no previous cd changer in there, so will it be difficult to install in the trunk and will i need any special wires?

bimmernut3 10-27-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmalik20 (Post 15798461)
Maybe someone can give me the correct answer, I was given a cd changer from a 1999 320i, will this be able to be installed in a 2004 325i. There is no previous cd changer in there, so will it be difficult to install in the trunk and will i need any special wires?

kmilik20...I did a search on penskeparts.com & it shows updated P/N 65126908950 for the CD player for an 01/00 320i. (this is for USA, not sure about Canada) When I search what cars this P/N fits, it shows your '04 325i. The best test is to just hook it up. Your car should be prewired for the CD player in the drivers side of the trunk behind the side trim. (2 plugs) Plug it in & see. If it does work, you will need to get the CD mounting bracket(s) for your car. Let me know how it works out.

kmalik20 10-27-2013 09:49 PM

Great, I will try to get in the trunk and set it up. Hopefully it works.
Thanks, will let you know how it goes

jayb328i 10-28-2013 12:58 AM

I had the same questions two years ago when I installed my unit for the first time. I pulled back the liner, and the wires were there---so the answer I suspect is if it is pre-wired, it is a piece of cake.
After careful consideration I decided not to buy the new BMW liner made to hold the unit for two reasons---cost, and space. I did not want to lose all that trunk space that is taken by the special line. Simple solution. I drilled 2 holes through the liner at the appropriate points, inserted a "eye hook" in each, attached a bungy cord between the hooks that hold the unit to the side wall with a cloth acting as a cushion between the unit and the liner. Works perfectly.