E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Tires replaced at discount tire, now dsc and yellow brake light are on. (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=948254)

Caden 10-02-2012 06:05 PM

Tires replaced at discount tire, now dsc and yellow brake light are on.

Just replaced my two front tires and balanced the back two. Right after I left discount tire I realized my DSC Light and the yellow brake light were on. What could be causing this? Could they have broke something?

SES light not on or any other lights.

Mango 10-02-2012 06:09 PM

If the DSC control unit senses a 2% (or is it 2mph?--i forget) difference in rotation speed between the two axles, the DSC light could illimunate. Yours must be so extreme that the system has disabled itself. how big of a difference in tire wear? same tire type AND size? more info please

Caden 10-02-2012 06:16 PM

Different tires. Same specs. 225-40-zr18. Back tires are 245-40zr18

Zell 10-02-2012 06:56 PM

They messed something up. Bring it back.

absolutegtr 10-02-2012 06:59 PM

Should you have 245/35 rears?

Caden 10-02-2012 07:03 PM

I brought it back, manager says he has no clue and I think he doesn't think that they caused it. I was like wtf. The DSC is not working, I shouldn't be driving the car, right? What should I do next? I have to go back tomorrow and speak with the store manager I guess.

Caden 10-02-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by absolutegtr (Post 14781956)
Should you have 245/35 rears?

I did have 250/35 in the rear but the tire was due for replacement and the local shop down the road only had 245/40. These lights haven't come on the whole time i've had this tire set up, until discount tire touched the car.

mtnbound 10-02-2012 07:13 PM

Have you checked to see if they knocked out the brake sensor?

jdstrickland 10-02-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caden (Post 14781969)
I brought it back, manager says he has no clue and I think he doesn't think that they caused it. I was like wtf. The DSC is not working, I shouldn't be driving the car, right? What should I do next? I have to go back tomorrow and speak with the store manager I guess.

Drive it all you want, lots of cars with RWD don't have DSC so your car with the DSC disabled is no different than these other cars.

They managed to knock a sensor off. You need to take the tires off and inspect all four corners for the speed sensors to be intact.

jdstrickland 10-02-2012 07:22 PM

Your trouble is in the Brake Light, not the speed sensors. It never hurts to take the tires off and look, but the brake light means that the car thinks the brake fluid is low for some reason. Open the hood and look at the brake fluid reservior.

Caden 10-02-2012 07:22 PM

The brake sensor was disconnected. This would trigger the DSC light, right? They knocked it out when they were balancing the back two tires. If this is the case, how long would it usually take to reset?

jdstrickland 10-02-2012 07:28 PM

Yes, it would trigger the traction control fault. The car sees the rear tires going too fast relative to the front tires, the brakes are applied and the throttle is reduced. If the brakes are disabled, then they cannot be applied and the light comes on to tell you the system is unreliable/disabled.

The light should go out if you set the ignition to Position 1 for 30-ish seconds so the car can look to see that the systems are all System Go.

SeanC 10-02-2012 07:43 PM

The correct tire size for the back is 255/35/18. Currently, there is discrepancy in what the sensors are measuring up front and in the back, which is probably why your DSC light is on. It is also possible that you will need a alignment along with correct size tires.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Bimmer App

B_Cyrus 10-02-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanC (Post 14782075)
The correct tire size for the back is 255/35/18. Currently, there is discrepancy in what the sensors are measuring up front and in the back, which is probably why your DSC light is on. It is also possible that you will need a alignment along with correct size tires.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Bimmer App

I'm having a hard time believing this. 325i's come stock with like 195/50/16

cityjohn 10-02-2012 07:48 PM

Missing sensor sounds right. I know the smog check places tell you that you need to drive a little while after the test for your lights to return to normal (after computer detects rear wheels turning and front ones stationary).

Caden 10-02-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdstrickland (Post 14782028)
Yes, it would trigger the traction control fault. The car sees the rear tires going too fast relative to the front tires, the brakes are applied and the throttle is reduced. If the brakes are disabled, then they cannot be applied and the light comes on to tell you the system is unreliable/disabled.

The light should go out if you set the ignition to Position 1 for 30-ish seconds so the car can look to see that the systems are all System Go.

I set in position 1 for approx 2 mins. No change. The tire size hasn't been a problem for like 6 months. Why would it be now?

Caden 10-02-2012 07:57 PM

The brake sensor is back on correctly. I'm pretty sure that was the problem seeing how it was unplugged and all. The po had the 255/35/18 225/40/18 set up. Isn't that m3 setup or something like that? I've driven the car about 20 miles since putting back in the sensor. Still no sucess.

B_Cyrus 10-02-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caden (Post 14782104)
I set in position 1 for approx 2 mins. No change. The tire size hasn't been a problem for like 6 months. Why would it be now?

Honestly, it isn't. The person who mentioned it is incorrect. You would run into mechanical and maybe electrical issues if you were running 16" wheels/tires in the front and 18" tires/wheels in the back(in simple terms). The problem is a speed sensor that is now dirty or has become dislodged.This has happened to a few members in the past. The brake sensor, unless it's the ABS sensor, has nothing to do with anything other than how much life you have left in your pads.

Sven330ci 10-02-2012 08:01 PM

Kinda off topic, but I had a bad experience with discount tire in Ocala, Fl. I went in to check out a problem that I was having with a front tire. They found the problem, but didn't diagnose the cause properly. When they put my wheels back on they scratched all of them around the bolt holes. I told them about it and they were willing to get them repainted for me. Estimate to fix the damage was $750 at a local shop. Instead of having them repainted I had them give me a discount on new tires.

I appreciate them owning up to the damage and offering to pay for it, but I will never take my car to them again. And because of me they now use sockets with the rubber guard:thumbup:

P.s. think the kid that did it got fired that day:D

deadwood83 10-02-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caden (Post 14781969)

You will be perfectly fine driving it.

http://i.minus.com/jjMVWyYdAgtoZ.PNG

Ask me how I know. (error 90, system deactivation, frequency 213)