E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General Off-Topic (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   DC vs Raleigh vs Atlanta (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=948390)

yousharenow 10-03-2012 11:53 AM

DC vs Raleigh vs Atlanta

I've been in ATL for 13 months now and love it here.

Things I hate about ATL:

1) Traffic. All the time and its everywhere. It's absolutely insane
2)Their road maint. is retarded as they just put a giant metal plate over the hole rather than fixing it
3)No happy hour
4) Lots of homeless / thugs
5) No NHL team :(

I love the cost of living, the fact I live in Midtown and can take the train to work, and it being in SEC country. ATL is the blue dot in a red state, and shares the same attitude as Austin. I really like ATL, sans the traffic(which is my mortal sworn enemy)

Every time I was in DC I was amazed with the traffic level, but if you live and work in the district you can live almost car free. It's also really pricey.

Raleigh I just love, LOADS of high paying work in Technology and Healthcare, not much traffic, they have a NHL team, International Airport, and I love the culture there. I was looking at real estate prices in Wake Forest yesterday and how much home you can get for the money reminds me of Texas.

I've always loved Raleigh, I'm just wondering really how you guys thinks it would stack up against DC or ATL. I like some of the inner-city neighborhoods, but they can get really pricey. And Living out in the burbs is a sentence to traffic death.

huyner328 10-03-2012 11:58 AM

NHL is done anyways.

Shaban 10-03-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yousharenow (Post 14783835)
I've been in ATL for 13 months now and love it here.

Things I hate about ATL:

1) Traffic. All the time and its everywhere. It's absolutely insane
2)Their road maint. is retarded as they just put a giant metal plate over the hole rather than fixing it
3)No happy hour
4) Lots of homeless / thugs
5) No NHL team :(

I love the cost of living, the fact I live in Midtown and can take the train to work, and it being in SEC country. ATL is the blue dot in a red state, and shares the same attitude as Austin. I really like ATL, sans the traffic(which is my mortal sworn enemy)

Every time I was in DC I was amazed with the traffic level, but if you live and work in the district you can live almost car free. It's also really pricey.

Raleigh I just love, LOADS of high paying work in Technology and Healthcare, not much traffic, they have a NHL team, International Airport, and I love the culture there. I was looking at real estate prices in Wake Forest yesterday and how much home you can get for the money reminds me of Texas.

I've always loved Raleigh, I'm just wondering really how you guys thinks it would stack up against DC or ATL. I like some of the inner-city neighborhoods, but they can get really pricey. And Living out in the burbs is a sentence to traffic death.

Night/Social life = DC
Work Life = Raleigh

And +1 on NHL being done

yousharenow 10-03-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huyner328 (Post 14783848)
NHL is done anyways.

Don't you put that voodoo on me.

ghorn 10-03-2012 12:01 PM

D.C. for sure, but I'm biased.

yousharenow 10-03-2012 12:12 PM

I've heard nothing but bad things about DC traffic, ATL its choking the city to death and they can't get anything passed to fix it as all the counties want different things. In ATL you have people commuting all over the place, DC everyone is commuting IN to the city.

ghorn 10-03-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yousharenow (Post 14783897)
I've heard nothing but bad things about DC traffic, ATL its choking the city to death and they can't get anything passed to fix it as all the counties want different things. In ATL you have people commuting all over the place, DC everyone is commuting IN to the city.

But as he mentioned, this can be avoided by living in the city. I had several friends that lived there without cars.

yousharenow 10-03-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghorn (Post 14783944)
But as he mentioned, this can be avoided by living in the city. I had several friends that lived there without cars.

This is true, ATL is just as bad but I never really have to deal with traffic as I take the train, and when I do have to drive, its a reverse commute.

DC has a train system, but are there any parts in the city you would want to raise a family in?

This is one thing that I love about Raleigh is that I don't mind driving as there isn't much traffic, they have a NHL team, and the entire place is a great spot to raise a family.

ghorn 10-03-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yousharenow (Post 14784008)
This is true, ATL is just as bad but I never really have to deal with traffic as I take the train, and when I do have to drive, its a reverse commute.

DC has a train system, but are there any parts in the city you would want to raise a family in?

This is one thing that I love about Raleigh is that I don't mind driving as there isn't much traffic, they have a NHL team, and the entire place is a great spot to raise a family.

NW, maybe. But you'd probably want to move to the 'burbs

yousharenow 10-03-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghorn (Post 14784023)
NW, maybe. But you'd probably want to move to the 'burbs

And I hear the commute in from the burbs is just horrendous.

Old Rum 10-03-2012 12:48 PM

I left DC in 2009 but still spend a great deal of time there. Lots of great places to raise a family in NW some with metro access/- AU Park/Spring Valley, The Palisdes, most of Upper Northwest, Cleveland Park, McLean Gardens, Friendship Heights, upper Connecticut Avenue.

ghorn 10-03-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yousharenow (Post 14784047)
And I hear the commute in from the burbs is just horrendous.

Well, depending on what part of the city you're going to--my Dad still commutes downtown everyday. Also, many leave their cars at the Metro station and take that into town.

2000_328CI 10-03-2012 01:32 PM

DC is the shiz

huyner328 10-03-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yousharenow (Post 14783852)
Don't you put that voodoo on me.

:rofl: I had to scrap my season tickets. I'm voodooing myself... but doesn't look very hopeful. Just sending prayers at this point.

cowmoo32 10-03-2012 01:52 PM

Will give some insight in a few hours. I've lived in Raleigh for nearly 6 years now.

yousharenow 10-03-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huyner328 (Post 14784276)
:rofl: I had to scrap my season tickets. I'm voodooing myself... but doesn't look very hopeful. Just sending prayers at this point.

I'm a Stars fan and I moved to a city that is now 0-2 to losing their team to Frackin Canada.

I need the NHL to be back so I can catch games when I go home for Thanksgiving and Xmas and Easter =[

Nearest NHL team is Raleigh or DC

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowmoo32 (Post 14784288)
Will give some insight in a few hours. I've lived in Raleigh for nearly 6 years now.

Lookin forward to it, something about Raleigh I just love. I like how its the size of a place like Austin so it doesn't have the big city crap like Dallas/ATL/Chicago (traffic/trashy ppl/trash) I love their little downtown core, its very pretty and traffic isn't bad.

Plus I could easily get a job up there making what I am now or more. BUT, DC has no shortage of jobs either, just more pricey and traffic. Besides the cost of living is similar to Dallas/ATL which I'm used to..DC is crazy expensive.

makecopies 10-03-2012 03:53 PM

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/...hington-dc.jpg

E46_330i_Stud 10-03-2012 03:56 PM

Wake Forest here :hi:

To me, it's a good mix of everything. Even in rush hour traffic (7-9am & 4-7pm) I can go 20 miles in 30 minutes or so on capital blvd. People are much nicer here, less crime than ATL & DC. Don't know the statistics but its a very good guess. This areas growing so fast it's unreal.

blacksport325 10-03-2012 04:27 PM

I like living I'm Raleigh, the people are nice, traffic isn't awful, and downtown has a decent nightlife. RTP seems to be booming with tech jobs lately.

yousharenow 10-03-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacksport325 (Post 14784851)
I like living I'm Raleigh, the people are nice, traffic isn't awful, and downtown has a decent nightlife. RTP seems to be booming with tech jobs lately.

One of our main vendors (Cisco) has a HQ there that is massive. I've gotten half a dozen offers from them in the past year, and there's a TON of work to be done there for people in tech or healthcare.

I'll finish school here in ATL, then I'll most likely end up in Raleigh for all the reasons mentioned in this thread. I've done the "big city" thing living in the city, I want somewhere a little more quiet with less traffic and job security, and a NHL team.

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46_330i_Stud (Post 14784734)
Wake Forest here :hi:

To me, it's a good mix of everything. Even in rush hour traffic (7-9am & 4-7pm) I can go 20 miles in 30 minutes or so on capital blvd. People are much nicer here, less crime than ATL & DC. Don't know the statistics but its a very good guess. This areas growing so fast it's unreal.

I love the people attitudes there, and I like how clean/safe the downtown is. I was looking around Real Estate prices for a nice area like Wake Forest and it reminds me of prices in Dallas. Prices in ATL and DC for a nice area to live in are just straight retarded, and they both have terrible traffic :(

Raleigh fits that bill!