E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   DIY: Do It Yourself (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Help with vanos rattle (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=948524)

Mflara20 10-03-2012 08:09 PM

Help with vanos rattle

Hey guys I'm going to change my vanos seals because of a rattle, my question it's..... by just replacing the seals would it resolve the famous rattle I hear or do I have to change something else?
Thanks

vilseck21 10-03-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mflara20 (Post 14785586)
Hey guys I'm going to change my vanos seals because of a rattle, my question it's..... by just replacing the seals would it resolve the famous rattle I hear or do I have to change something else?
Thanks

http://www.drvanos.com/

can0n4 10-03-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vilseck21 (Post 14785679)

really the only fix is a $400 replacement system?

Mflara20 10-03-2012 10:41 PM

I heard you only have to replace the seals with the beisan ones

littlegti 10-03-2012 10:48 PM

My 330 was rattling bad so I replaced the seals with the improved ones from Beisan Systems. I was planning on replacing the bearings as well but I couldn't get the old ones out without an impact wrench.

Just replacing the seals eliminated 99% of the rattles. I can't say 100% because every now and then I hear a little rattle.

Only $120 for the seals and bearings seems like a deal.

RKiepper 10-03-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by can0n4 (Post 14785817)
really the only fix is a $400 replacement system?

This is not the only fix :sigh:

Replacing jut the seals will not fix the rattle issue. Iirc is has something to do with bearings, or spacers.. Something to that effect.

Search the forum to find your answer.

Beisan systems sells the seals and the rattle kit so you can install them.
Seals = $65, rattle kit = $100, = DIY

Dr vanos sells the entire vanos unit with the Beisan seals already installed, rattle kit is also an option.
Dr. Vanos = $400, = Lazy.

Mflara20 10-04-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKiepper (Post 14786027)

Replacing jut the seals will not fix the rattle issue. Iirc is has something to do with bearings, or spacers.. Something to that effect.

Dr vanos sells the entire vanos unit with the Beisan seals already installed, rattle kit is also an option.

Where can I buy the rattle kit from?

zwei e46 10-04-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKiepper (Post 14786027)

http://www.beisansystems.com/

Mflara20 10-04-2012 11:30 AM

My bad I was in a hurry and I was reading it fast. Thanks by the way

DRE97 10-20-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smith323 (Post 14786826)

I think the Dr. Vanos sells for $250. You forgot about the $150 core charge rebate.

Brobby87 10-21-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRE97 (Post 14831484)
I think the Dr. Vanos sells for $250. You for got about the $150 core charge rebate.

This is correct.

vilseck21 10-21-2012 02:00 PM

Dr Vanos is a better deal, its only $250, and they do more than just the seals

The Stage II builds off of the Stage I kit and adds an additional level of performance upgrades that allows the vanos to work much more efficiently. This is done by improving another area of the factory design, by once again reducing friction.
On all models built after 4/95, a spring plate was used between the thrust washers on the intake cam which holds the cam gear tightly in place. Unfortunately it also creates a decent amount of friction on the intake cam gear.
As the intake cam gear is tightly held between two thrust plates by the spring plate, it is forced back and forth by the vanos as the engine goes through the RPM range, advancing and retarding the cam. As the gear rotates in each direction, it has to continually overcome the frictional forces being applied by the thrust plates. The Stage II kit incorporates REM polishing to reduce the friction between the intake gear and thrust plates, allowing the vanos to work with much less effort.
REM polishing is a proprietary 2 stage chemical and media abrasion process used in many levels of motorsports, which polishes the surfaces to a micro-smooth finish. The parts are then chemically treated with an agent that considerably reduces friction between mating surfaces. The stage II kit will completely eliminate any 'sticking' issues caused by excessive friction between the intake cam gear and thrust plates, greatly extending the life of the unit.

The Stage II vanos kit is designed for a daily driver while be able to withstand the abuse and stresses of a modified engine. Race cars, track cars, forced induction cars, or any other car that sees more abuse than a typical daily driver sees can benefit from Stage II kit. This is truly the ultimate vanos upgrade.