E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General Off-Topic (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Going back to school as a old man!? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=948526)

LowDog 10-03-2012 07:16 PM

Going back to school as a old man!?

So im turning 28 in December. I have a business degree and i am an educated freight forwarder, national and international. But it was really never me.

Now im strongly thinking about going back to school to become either a ships officer or a Bachelor of Technology Management and Marine Engineering.

It's gonna be about 5 years all together (have to take a speed-course with 4 classes on higher levels than i have from my business degree).

All education in my country is free (only have to pay for books) and you get goverment support during the whole time (like $1,000 a month, that really wont cover anything else than rent maybe). So ill get a part time job, but i can only earn $1,000 a month besides the goverment support. I have a bit more than $20,000 saved up and no debt.

Have any of you guys gone back to school after several years of working in the field!? How did you manage?

Does any of you, work as anything related to the above!?

sweetbro858 10-03-2012 07:17 PM

Cry me a river as you're balls deep in all the young impressionable females.

source:
I'm a 28yr old senior :woot:

Raymond42262 10-03-2012 07:19 PM

Good Luck

ShootyzGruve 10-03-2012 07:25 PM

OP. I was working for about 3 years in my field before starting a part-time masters program. Things are very, very busy with school and work but it's cool. Being in the working world a bit helped to increase my confidence and I think it's helped me become a better learner.
Cheers and best luck!

MDydinanM 10-03-2012 07:25 PM

OP,

define "old man" - you're 28. That is hardly old.

I'm 30 and in a masters program - got a year left. Then I intend to get another one, probably an MBA. After I got my undergraduate degree, I went into the military and didn't have time to continue education. Now that I do have the time, I'm continuing it. I'm also married and have a full time job, and still manage. Most of my classmates are experienced, my age, or older. So I don't have an issue trying to fit in.

AfghanScarface 10-03-2012 10:11 PM

So let me get this straight..

1. Your country is paying for your school tuition
2. Not a dime out of your pocket, no indentured lifetime of student loans
3. They even give you some pocket money from time to time (this one blows my fvcking mind)

Sounds like you sir, need to take the dildo out your ass and get back to school.

Or you can come to America and see what if feels like to get raped and bukkake'd for your education.

NOVAbimmer 10-03-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfghanScarface (Post 14786100)

3. They even give you some pocket money from time to time (this one blows my fvcking mind)

Sounds like you sir, need to take the dildo out your ass and get back to school.

Or you can come to America and see what if feels like to get raped and bukkake'd for your education.

this all over.

Although my country paid my tuition and paid me while I was in school. And also guaranteed me a career after college too.

But I'd say I've paid back for what I got.

adaseb 10-03-2012 10:41 PM

Which country are you in?

PH03NIX46 10-03-2012 10:56 PM

Go back to school.

You should always educate yourself as much as you can. And 28 is still young, I have a few fellow classmates easily over 20-30 years of age in my Chemistry courses.

fckupayme 10-03-2012 10:57 PM

Go back to school! You are afraid you may be too old but you are just looking for validation from guys here near that age. Just do it and keep it moving.

325inthe510 10-03-2012 11:19 PM

Bro do you even need to ask?

AfghanScarface 10-03-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer (Post 14786108)
this all over.

Although my country paid my tuition and paid me while I was in school. And also guaranteed me a career after college too.

Given the potential risks to life and limb, not to mention the sacrifice of time with friends and family, id say you're even. Not even the same ballpark.

LowDog 10-04-2012 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfghanScarface (Post 14786100)

I have lived in America...

I pay up to 50% in income taxes so som things damn well be free here.

rsxstock 10-04-2012 04:02 AM

you already have a degree and you want to get another?

LowDog 10-04-2012 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsxstock (Post 14786582)
you already have a degree and you want to get another?

I dont want to work in that type business anymore, and i cant use it for that much else.

MDydinanM 10-04-2012 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer (Post 14786108)
this all over.

cough, GI Bill, cough :hi:

heck, I'm using it :)

GlockMan 10-04-2012 07:05 AM

I would get a Masters instead of a second bachelors.

You could always take some 300-400 courses while getting your Masters to get some education in the new field but you walk away with a higher degree in the same amount of time.

JMO

wasp9166 10-04-2012 07:12 AM

28 and you think you're old? i'm 46 and have been told by drs i'm young, lol

gtfo dude

Brevik 10-04-2012 09:50 AM

You are not an old man...

I went to technical school for electronics right out of high school and have worked at Medtronic Inc for the past 16 years. I worked my way from a production worker to a high level engineering position, but I eventually hit a ceiling and knew I needed to get back in school.

Since my degree was from a technical school I had to start over (which was painful) in an AS business, then eventually a BS in Management and am currently back to get my MBA.

I am 35 now and I have to say it was one of the better decisions I have ever made, it was difficult starting from the bottom at my age, but it was the right decision. When I am done I will have 17 years of experience with the leader in the implantable medical device industry and a master's degree.

I say go for it and don't look back!

Brevik 10-04-2012 09:52 AM

+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by glockman (Post 14786700)
i would get a masters instead of a second bachelors.

You could always take some 300-400 courses while getting your masters to get some education in the new field but you walk away with a higher degree in the same amount of time.

Jmo