E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General Off-Topic (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   I'm on pins and needles and wondering what my chances are... (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=948587)

USCTrojanMan29 10-04-2012 02:10 AM

I'm on pins and needles and wondering what my chances are...

So I've finished up interviewing at this company for a corporate controller job (what I do now) yesterday afternoon. I have met everyone that I would ever work with, including the CEO and CFO. Today I got a call from the lead HR recruiter at the company and he tells me that he's gotten great feedback and that they'd like to move forward with the next step of doing a background check and calling on my references (he was the same one who said that they would have a decision by early next week when I left the interview on Tuesday).

I want to be optimistic but a part of me still thinks its 50-50 because I interviewed at company years ago what did a background and reference checks on the top 2 candidates and I didn't get that job. That being said, at the company that I work at I can not make an offer until I have a clear background check and reference check. One of my friend's companies makes offers that are contingent on a clear background and reference check.

So I guess my question is...if a company is doing a background check (I signed an authorization and send it back to them) and calling on my references....what is the likelihood that I get an offer assuming everything checks out??? I really want this job so I'm literally on pin and needles.

Lexie330ci 10-04-2012 02:18 AM

dont worry, you will get it

BruceWonder 10-04-2012 02:23 AM

your the b00bMan....everything will work out.

Cowspoo 10-04-2012 03:24 AM

AMA Request : Corporate HR Representative

Under which circumstances could a potential hire fail the background check with a good history?
Do you have access to and or consider high school and college GPA's (if not provided already), credit history, police records before and later than seven years?
What are some common questions asked to provided-references or past-employers?
What's the reason behind waiting a (4-14) days between each step of the hiring process, when it all could be completed in a day or two?

JTLaz 10-04-2012 06:12 AM

I didn't realize background checks and references were still used at that level.

I wouldn't worry about it. The background check shouldn't even be a thought. What kind of references did you provide?

Nt_loader 10-04-2012 06:36 AM

Will you report to the CFO or some other individual?

USCTrojanMan29 10-04-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nt_loader (Post 14786654)
Will you report to the CFO or some other individual?

I'll be reporting directly to the CFO.

Two out of the three references are my former supervisors/managers and then a professional acquaintance.

I'm not nervous about the background or reference checks because they'll all come out just fine. I guess I'm just curious if most companies do not background and reference checks until they've picked the candidate.

USCTrojanMan29 10-04-2012 09:48 AM

Here's an exert from the email that the HR recruiter sent to one of my references:

I recently had the privilege of interviewing X for a position with our organization and I’m continuing to bring him through the interview process.

The next step on our end is to complete X's professional references. X indicated you would be available for me to reach in order to discuss the work history you have in common with him.

Please let me know when you are available to speak over the phone. It would be great to catch up with you as soon as possible.

Cobra 10-04-2012 10:07 AM

just show the HR dept some boobs, and you're good to go. :thumbup:

seriously though, there's no guarantee until they actually say "you're hired!" checking on references will only help eliminate some candidates, just in case some people b.s. on their resumé. never the less, good luck! :thumbsup:

Nt_loader 10-04-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 (Post 14787018)
I'll be reporting directly to the CFO.

Two out of the three references are my former supervisors/managers and then a professional acquaintance.

I'm not nervous about the background or reference checks because they'll all come out just fine. I guess I'm just curious if most companies do not background and reference checks until they've picked the candidate.

Ok well its a little weird they are doing background without first offering you the job. In my experience the company will make you an offer and then complete the backgroud/drug screening. Why would they spend money on the process if they are not going to offer you the job.

The other wierd thing is you not interviewing with the CFO.

I dont know, these are thoughts that pop into my head and how I would look at it.

Good luck though!

chivo328 10-04-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 (Post 14786521)
...the next step of doing a background check and calling on my references...

Did you put down F2B?

Topaz330 10-04-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTLaz (Post 14786643)
I didn't realize background checks and references were still used at that level.

I wouldn't worry about it. The background check shouldn't even be a thought. What kind of references did you provide?

yep, they would rely on what comes back even more so at this level. The higher the income the more they'll look into your background. The law actually allows the employer more leeway on what they can use in their decision to not hire you when the proposed salary is above a certain level. I think its 80 or 90k.

Martin I know how you feel. I recently moved over from residential to commercial lending as a VP portfolio analyst and was on pins and needles every step of the process which was not a short one. All signs point to you getting the job though if everything checks out. Most wouldn't go through all that trouble unless they had the intention of moving forward. As far as the offer, all companies work differently. I got the offer letter overnighted to me the same day they started the background checking process. My wife that just moved on to a better opportunity as well got her letter after the process.

VaderDave 10-04-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 (Post 14786521)
I really want this job so I'm literally on pin and needles.

You are not literally on pins and needles.

At least I hope you aren't. Ouch.

E36Eric 10-04-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chivo328 (Post 14787111)
Did you put down F2B?

I'm sorry to inform you that we have denied your application due to your previous association with a stupid ass wigger and a slutty Asian ho.

DylloS 10-04-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaderDave (Post 14787123)

I loled

rohde88 10-04-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaderDave (Post 14787123)

Distribution of weight can be painless. Elementary, dear Dave

VaderDave 10-04-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohde88 (Post 14787209)
Distribution of weight can be painless. Elementary, dear Dave

This is Martin:

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/mealac/p...ailbed1901.jpg

USCTrojanMan29 10-04-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nt_loader (Post 14787109)
Ok well its a little weird they are doing background without first offering you the job. In my experience the company will make you an offer and then complete the backgroud/drug screening. Why would they spend money on the process if they are not going to offer you the job.

The other wierd thing is you not interviewing with the CFO.

I dont know, these are thoughts that pop into my head and how I would look at it.

Good luck though!

I did interview with the CFO (in round 2 and then spoke with him again for 5-10 minutes before I met the CEO in round 3)...the CEO as well.

yousharenow 10-04-2012 10:55 AM

you got the job

xxcosmicxx 10-04-2012 11:04 AM

I am a co-founder/managing director of a boutique retained executive search firm. We focus specifically on VC/PE backed mid-market tech companies & deal with CEO, CFO, CMO, CTO & Head of Sales searches specifically.

I cannot speak directly for every search firm or company's process, however we do references & background checks on only our lead candidate at the very end of the process; and they are always contingent upon a forthcoming offer letter. As an employed executive you don't want to be handing out your reference list at will.

Good luck getting the job!

:thumbup: