E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Yellow Cog light showing up but car runs without problem (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=948631)

CJM3GUY 10-04-2012 10:42 AM

Yellow Cog light showing up but car runs without problem

Hey guys,
I have a 2003 M3 vert with 78,xxx miles. So I went through the whole SMG fiasco where my car stopped in gear shifts and went to neutral (limp mode) and had to wait a couple hours before driving it again in +100F weather. So I replaced the salmon relay and I've driven it in +100F weather several times now without it ever doing that again, however, I have noticed that sometimes when I am driving in stop-and-go traffic for a long time I notice my yellow cog wheel light comes up. Sometimes it just flashes and if my car is stopped it will go away and sometimes it will just pop up and I can keep driving without any problems (most of the time I try to pull over and turn my car off for a few mins and when I turn it back on the light is gone). I am just wondering if any of you have this same problem or know the exact cause and if I should be worried.

zanga254 10-04-2012 10:47 AM

bump-n-sub for curiosity

illestminimike 10-04-2012 02:20 PM

You really haven't searched. There's a fix to this. Check the M3 forum. It's called "Fix Your SMG".

rcsummers 10-04-2012 04:08 PM

^ wut he said.

its still something i need to do.

CJM3GUY 10-04-2012 05:08 PM

Thanks guys! ... Although my problem isnt exactly the same as I have not dropped out of gear I am just wondering why might light comes on if I continue driving and theres no problems with the gear shifts at all.

rcsummers 10-04-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJM3GUY (Post 14788567)
Thanks guys! ... Although my problem isnt exactly the same as I have not dropped out of gear I am just wondering why might light comes on if I continue driving and theres no problems with the gear shifts at all.

happens to me, its the temp sensor for the SMG thinking its over heating. When in reality, it isnt at all.

CJM3GUY 10-04-2012 08:06 PM

Ahhh i see, thank you do you know if replacing the sensor is difficult ??

rcsummers 10-04-2012 08:51 PM

Go search the DIY. It's a process, kind of.

CJM3GUY 10-05-2012 11:25 AM

Ahh okay thanks for the input!

DustinMikk 10-05-2012 02:25 PM

Pull the code.
Replace the relay.
Clear the code.

rcsummers 10-05-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustinMikk (Post 14791186)
Pull the code.
Replace the relay.
Clear the code.

Read thread.
Make Post Relevant.
????????????
Profit.

DustinMikk 10-05-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcsummers (Post 14791364)
Read thread.
Make Post Relevant.
????????????
Profit.

I'm pretty sure if he pulled the code it would give him a better idea of what's wrong.
Relays have been known to go bad, even a after replacing them.

rcsummers 10-05-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustinMikk (Post 14791518)
I'm pretty sure if he pulled the code it would give him a better idea of what's wrong.
Relays have been known to go bad, even a after replacing them.

:facepalm: SMG M3's get the heat blues, but doing exactly what he said. You add a resistor to the temp sensor for the SMG and VUALA it fixes it self.

illestminimike 10-05-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustinMikk (Post 14791186)
Pull the code.
Replace the relay.
Clear the code.

Don't post wrong information please. What rcsummers is saying is true. OP, just needs to find the thread himself.

CJM3GUY 10-05-2012 06:36 PM

oh Okay thank guys I have the resistors and butt connectors so I have a weekend project now :)

CJM3GUY 10-05-2012 06:38 PM

and btw RC and Illest you guys have some dopeass rides keep doin what your doin!

illestminimike 10-05-2012 07:52 PM

Thank you! Let us know how everything goes.

Mallee 10-07-2012 08:44 PM

I've had the SMG pump replaced twice now. (both under warranty) Initially when the cog light came on the car seemed fine I assumed it was just a random code and booked in to see the dealer, unfortunately as time went by engaging gears in the morning was less and less reliable.

After reading a lot here, and wondering at likelihood of the second pump failure in under a year I enquired if it could be the relay, I was told that while the relay was failing, the cause was the pump drawing too much current, in turn causing the relay to burn out, so a new relay would just mask the issue.

I can't say I trust information the dealers repair centre give me... but this did sound plausible. (but I'm not a mechanic.)

I'd say it's certainly worth pulling your new relay and taking a look at it, along with getting the codes read, and perhaps implementing the heat fix.

CJM3GUY 10-08-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illestminimike (Post 14792012)
Thank you! Let us know how everything goes.

I didnt get a chance to do it this weekend guys but i will let u know as soon as i have

CJM3GUY 10-08-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mallee (Post 14795747)
I've had the SMG pump replaced twice now. (both under warranty) Initially when the cog light came on the car seemed fine I assumed it was just a random code and booked in to see the dealer, unfortunately as time went by engaging gears in the morning was less and less reliable.

After reading a lot here, and wondering at likelihood of the second pump failure in under a year I enquired if it could be the relay, I was told that while the relay was failing, the cause was the pump drawing too much current, in turn causing the relay to burn out, so a new relay would just mask the issue.

I can't say I trust information the dealers repair centre give me... but this did sound plausible. (but I'm not a mechanic.)

I'd say it's certainly worth pulling your new relay and taking a look at it, along with getting the codes read, and perhaps implementing the heat fix.

Yea they told me it was the pump and I had just bought the car from a reputable dealer and it is under warranty, the dealer said other dealers will sometimes tell you that in order to charge more however it would solve the problem but a pump may not be needed. The car seems to shift fine even in the morning and since the relay was replaced I dont seem to have any gear-shift issues im going to try the resistor mod and hopefully that eliminates the cog light from coming up aka the temp sensor. I guess if it still comes up it would be a faulty pump under which case id take it and get it replaced under warranty. Some other forum users have said that theyve got their pump and relays replaced and the light still comes up in that case it would be the faulty temp sensor, thats why Id rather try everything else first before replacing the pump... thanks for the info