E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Lighting Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Interior Lights Issue (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=948741)

Weste46 10-04-2012 08:43 PM

Interior Lights Issue

My interior lights decided to stop turning on today. I got home and opened my door, and they did not turn on. I put the key in the ignition and turned it to position 1 and pushed the middle light, and got a small fade of light and then nothing. It happens every time now that I try this. The battery doesn't seem to be bad, the car starts just fine, and the trunk lights and smaller overhead lights turn on. So what's the issue? Thanks for any help!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App

Weste46 10-04-2012 08:44 PM

I forgot to say, the trunk lights and smaller lights turn on when car is off, and ALL lights turn on when car is on.

330xIce 10-04-2012 09:09 PM

Did you check the fuse box?

hi its me alec 10-04-2012 09:11 PM

Check the fuse box, and check the two ash tray light bulbs for breakage or deterioration. The first time I took my center console out, I ripped the little rear ash tray light bulb off, and those two wires touched and shorted out all my interior lights. So it sounds like a similar issue here.

Weste46 10-04-2012 09:23 PM

I wouldn't think it would be a fuse if it turns on at about 5% power EVERY time I pull my key out and put it back in. It never works twice, I always need to put the key back in. Could you send me a quick picture of what ashtray lights you're talking about? I'm not following fully. Thank you for the replies!

Weste46 10-04-2012 09:26 PM

When I got home I checked all connections to my angel eyes and one was shorting to the frame, I unplugged the AE's for now and covered anything from shorting any further. I don't see how this could relate though.. the lights work fine when car is on.

Weste46 10-05-2012 06:14 AM

Tried again this morning, same thing. I noticed they will turn on after the car is just turned off, but will not let me turn them back on (other than a brief low powered surge) until I start the car again.

Weste46 10-05-2012 02:09 PM

Okay, so ive always had a subtle pop come from under my hood after I turn my vehicle off. Now, as soon as the pop happens, that's when the lights stop working. Anything on this pop?

Weste46 12-09-2012 12:36 PM

I never updated and thought I should; there ended up being a short from my AEs on the footwell light, but never blew a fuse. took off my Orion Lites and all was well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

christmascompany 12-12-2012 01:24 AM

Thanks for sharing the knowledge about Interior lights issue.