E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General Off-Topic (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   newly built pc will not boot (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=948771)

sexymexy 10-04-2012 11:51 PM

newly built pc will not boot

I just finish building my pc and it wont even post. the mother board has power because the the start and reset button are lit up but when i go to press it nothing happens. i tried removing the gpu to boot nothing i all so removed 2 sticks of ram and nothing. Do you think it could be a faulty mother board but if it is why does it light up? :ben::ben:

Specs:
intel i7 3770k
asus maximus V formula
powercolor 7990
two samsung ssd 256gb
corsair vengeance ddr3 ram 4 x 4gb
cosair ax 1200 watt

Owtlaw333 10-04-2012 11:53 PM

You fvcked up.

Owtlaw333 10-04-2012 11:55 PM

Re-seat your processor, double check all connections, try using one stick of RAM (alternate if one doesn't work).... could be any number of things. Also check to see if your motherboard has some sort of indicator lights that may tell you what's hanging it up (usually a light that cycles between green, yellow and red...)

deafboy 10-04-2012 11:57 PM

You bought a devil 13? lol. For the love of god why?!

anything on the debug LEDs?

Eliott's-BMW 10-05-2012 12:00 AM

yes bad motherboards do light up but nothing happens..
Check your connections to the power switch and LED's

deafboy 10-05-2012 12:00 AM

And I presume you've hit the go button?

take the graphics card out, use the onboard video.
use one stick of ram on the furthest left slot.
and of course make sure everything is plugged in correctly

braymond141 10-05-2012 12:20 AM

Is anything pressing against the Clear CMOS button on the backside of the I/O panel? Sometimes the panels are not punched out. If that button is being pressed, it will not power on. I see no other jumpers in the manual that I would suggest checking other than that button.

Check the cable connections coming into the board and your mounting points in your case. Pull all the motherboard attached cables off USB, Firewire, Power button, etc (except power) and use the onboard power button to start the computer. Drives, memory, CPU do not cause a motherboard to not power on. A failure of those components will typically cause a power on with no POST or a power on with a sudden power off. Power and or grounding are usually suspect for your issue.

Try a different power supply and then lastly, DOA motherboard. It happens.

Owtlaw333 10-05-2012 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braymond141 (Post 14789644)
Is anything pressing against the Clear CMOS button on the backside of the I/O panel? Sometimes the panels are not punched out. If that button is being pressed, it will not power on. I see no other jumpers in the manual that I would suggest checking other than that button.

Check the cable connections coming into the board and your mounting points in your case. Pull all the motherboard attached cables off USB, Firewire, Power button, etc (except power) and use the onboard power button to start the computer. Drives, memory, CPU do not cause a motherboard to not power on. A failure of those components will typically cause a power on with no POST or a power on with a sudden power off. Power and or grounding are usually suspect for your issue.

Try a different power supply and then lastly, DOA motherboard. It happens.

He said the mobo has power...

deafboy 10-05-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 (Post 14789656)

Has power != power on...

Owtlaw333 10-05-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deafboy (Post 14789659)
Has power != power on...

braymond is describing a scenario in which the mobo has no power (issues which faulty CPU, memory, etc. cannot cause.) His mobo is lighting up, so these are still very much a probability.

sexymexy 10-05-2012 12:54 AM

i tested the psu on my older build i have. No q led on or q code lights flashing i check the off sets. i check if the cpu was placed correctly. I guess its a faulty mother board.

deafboy 10-05-2012 12:56 AM

Or it could still be the mobo...

Basing a lot of the features off of mine, probably has quite a few less features but I can't look his board up right now so I am just going to wing it off memory.

The memory he has is supported, so unless it's a faulty dimm or dimm slot, the go button should resolve any memory issue upon power up. But, if it is the memory, the board should still power on and throw a debug led number.

If it's the CPU, there should be a debug led number and not sure if the maximus formula has a cpu light or not, but if it's faulty there would be a red led.

If it's the GPU, should still post, just wouldn't be a pic. But he should still test without the GPU installed, he has the luxury of using onboard video, so use the IGP.

Can boot without a hard drive, not an issue.

The only thing that should be an issue (if it's not the mobo) is the power connections or a faulty psu.

It could also be as simple as him having the power switch on wrong and the lights he's seeing are just the leds showing the board is getting power :rofl:

Andy2108 10-05-2012 12:58 AM

You did make sure to connect the big 24 pin motherboard plug from the psu AND the 4 or 8 pin power plug for the cpu on the mobo too, right?

I've forgotten that one a bunch of times.

Press22 10-05-2012 12:58 AM

Did you check for bent pins on the board yet?
If any are bent, refer to post #2

Junaid 10-05-2012 01:00 AM

Like the above poster said, try using the Onboard video. Most MBs are made to boot off that and then you can change it in the BIOS.

braymond141 10-05-2012 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 (Post 14789656)

Power on Self Test is NOT the same thing as standby power to the board. You don't understand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 (Post 14789669)
braymond is describing a scenario in which the mobo has no power (issues which faulty CPU, memory, etc. cannot cause.) His mobo is lighting up, so these are still very much a probability.

That is not what I said. What I wrote is correct and applicable to this issue. I was specifically calling you out for incorrect diagnoses from your post referencing CPU, and RAM. These items do not cause a system to not POWER ON, meaning come out of standby power, they are what prevent the computer from completing the POST. You will still get a flicker on of power then immediate system off if the CPU is physically damaged, sometimes the caps will sizzle and smoke.

Standby Power
Power On

These are all different things. The OP is not getting power on, just standby power. When he says NOTHING happens, that means nothing turns to on. No fans, no lights, nothing... just standby power stuck. See the difference? If the OP has some type of power on (a standy power LED is NOT power on), THEN these components need to be checked.

Stankia 10-05-2012 02:20 AM

What on earth are you planning on running with that graphic card?

Lusticles 10-05-2012 02:59 AM

When I had an HP desktop the motherboard went out just after the warranty was up. So about a year after the purchase.

The buttons would light up, the backlight on the monitor would come on, but otherwise nothing would happen. The sound didn't work either.

Might be the same problem you're having.

I had a lot of photos and work saved on it.

Took it to a repair place hoping that at least they could recover my files but to no avail.

sexymexy 10-05-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deafboy (Post 14789699)
Or it could still be the mobo...

Basing a lot of the features off of mine, probably has quite a few less features but I can't look his board up right now so I am just going to wing it off memory.

The memory he has is supported, so unless it's a faulty dimm or dimm slot, the go button should resolve any memory issue upon power up. But, if it is the memory, the board should still power on and throw a debug led number.

If it's the CPU, there should be a debug led number and not sure if the maximus formula has a cpu light or not, but if it's faulty there would be a red led.

If it's the GPU, should still post, just wouldn't be a pic. But he should still test without the GPU installed, he has the luxury of using onboard video, so use the IGP.

Can boot without a hard drive, not an issue.

The only thing that should be an issue (if it's not the mobo) is the power connections or a faulty psu.

It could also be as simple as him having the power switch on wrong and the lights he's seeing are just the leds showing the board is getting power :rofl:

My first thought was that i wired it wrong so i just used the on board start button. Like you said no debug led come on and i tried without to gpu and nothing moves i have had problem like the fans start up and then quickly turn off and the the beeps tell me what was wrong. I thought it would be cpu but like you said i thought the mother board would throw up a light indicating that the cpu is bad. I'm going to try another psu but other than that I guess it the mother board. I guess i have been lucky with all my others build I never have received anything DOA. But just so I can be cleared the mother board can get power and light up but be faulty. I just figured that if it was the mother board the whole thing wouldn't work not even the lights.

M3Inline6 10-05-2012 11:13 AM

You fuckers are on it! Well done!