E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   New Buy, few questions! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=948776)

MARVEL3 10-05-2012 01:06 AM

New Buy, few questions!

Hey everyone, I just recently purchased a 2003 M3, I do have a "clunk" that appears every time I switch gears or get on the gas harder, and it is coming from the rear. Is it pretty obvious that it is the Differential bushing? I heard that it's pretty common for these queens to let that one go.

Another question is about the Navi, When I bought the car a few weeks ago it was fine. Now however it still operates perfectly fine, just last week a small half inch sized vertical line appeared in the upper right kind of, and now it's been spreading a little bit, not a crack, but more inside of the screen, has anyone had that happen? And What could it possibly be?

And my last question is about the headlights. Just before this M3 I owned a 2001 330ci. (another great car) ANd it had the same problem. THe headlights would sometimes not turn on, either both or the left or the right. Then I have to toggle the switch a few times before one or both of them finally turn on. They stay on the whole time when the car is running then, but it's just the initial turn on. WIth 330ci used to happen more during night time, or when it was colder. The m3 now does it just whenever really. SO I'm curious if that would be the Ballast, or the igniter, I have looked up the questions before, just never got a clear answer.

Any input would be helpful, so thanks.

By the way, this is my new baby:
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...75978003_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...07387374_n.jpg

rdoctor 10-05-2012 07:38 AM

Others will chime in about the "clunk" but what you have described may not be normal. Most of the classic "M clunk" happens at low speeds..low RMPs in low gears. Having it all the time is not normal. Did you get a PPI? If so, did they check the rear subframe mounts?

RE: the navi screen...I had that happen on my 04 ZHP. Not good. The pixel defect will grow over time and I was told that it is not fixable. The only remedy would be to get a new screen/front section for the nav unit. Not cheap.

MARVEL3 10-05-2012 12:32 PM

Dang, that's a bummer about the screen then. But as for the clunk, well it really is more just at low speeds, since it's putting out more torque at low gears. It's the worst from 1st to 2nd (6 speed mt) But if I'm gentile with it when switching gears, like extra extra gentle, it won't do it. So I'm still curious, won't happen it the higher gears, or if it does in maybe 4th or so, it's very minimal.

M3SMG! 10-05-2012 01:26 PM

The clunk can be a center support bearing.My e36 did this til I fixed it

MARVEL3 10-05-2012 01:43 PM

Would the center support bearing be an easier/cheaper fix than the differential bushing or no?

jhaurimn 10-05-2012 01:48 PM

Not sure if the diff bushings require removal of the subframe but the bearing would be easier to replace. Just have to drop the exhaust and then the driveshaft

illestminimike 10-05-2012 02:14 PM

Diff bushing replacement is a b1tch.

OfficinePanerai 10-05-2012 02:23 PM

well, i replaced the following and still have the "M clunk" in almost every gear when im pushing it.

- driveshaft
- differential
- gibo
- center support bearing
- differential bushings
- subframe bushings
- welded HPF subframe reinforcement kit
- RTABs
- all of the other bushings/bolts/bearings in the rear
- ZCP suspension components all around + mounts
- everything torqued according to specs

so at this point i give up...
getting used to this stupid clunk is a b1tch...makes me cringe all the time every time
and its annoying to have to explain that the car is fine every time someone asks if the rear is about to fall off

in fact, after almost a year of owning this car, i hate this "clunk" so much that i decided to save up for a daily driver
and have the ///M for weekend stuff because the sound is just too much for everyday driving since it takes away the pleasure
of owning otherwise awesome car

mine is SMG though and as long as i can "guess" when the car is about to shift and get off the throttle right before it does, there is no clunk.
in any case, i know this sounds more like a rant, but i guess im just putting things in perspective for you before you go all out chasing the source of that "clunk"
only to find out, after spending weeks under the car, that its supposedly a "normal" occurrence that stems from the design of differentials in our cars or w/e

MARVEL3 10-05-2012 05:01 PM

Hey guys, thanks! Yeah I know the diff bushing replacement is not the most fun, saw some DIY, definitely not nice. As for OfficinePannerai. Thanks for the input, not a rant, haha just sounds pretty unfortunate, and I really hope that I am not dealing with the same thing! I do also have a truck for some daily driving, but like you said it's really not comfortable when you just want to enjoy a nice ride. I'm going to take it to a well trusted shop just to get their oppinion on it, I know they deal with bmw's as they are a european car performance shop. But I really hope it's nothing major, I'm okay with spending about 500 on this, but I have a feeling it could be a bit more.

jhaurimn 10-05-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OfficinePanerai (Post 14791171)
well, i replaced the following and still have the "M clunk" in almost every gear when im pushing it.

- driveshaft
- differential
- gibo
- center support bearing
- differential bushings
- subframe bushings
- welded HPF subframe reinforcement kit
- RTABs
- all of the other bushings/bolts/bearings in the rear
- ZCP suspension components all around + mounts
- everything torqued according to specs

so at this point i give up...
getting used to this stupid clunk is a b1tch...makes me cringe all the time every time
and its annoying to have to explain that the car is fine every time someone asks if the rear is about to fall off

in fact, after almost a year of owning this car, i hate this "clunk" so much that i decided to save up for a daily driver
and have the ///M for weekend stuff because the sound is just too much for everyday driving since it takes away the pleasure
of owning otherwise awesome car

mine is SMG though and as long as i can "guess" when the car is about to shift and get off the throttle right before it does, there is no clunk.
in any case, i know this sounds more like a rant, but i guess im just putting things in perspective for you before you go all out chasing the source of that "clunk"
only to find out, after spending weeks under the car, that its supposedly a "normal" occurrence that stems from the design of differentials in our cars or w/e

This is proof of the m clunk ... You replaced the entire back end !! I can't imagine the peace of mind from doing all of that.

OfficinePanerai 10-05-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhaurimn (Post 14791791)
This is proof of the m clunk ... You replaced the entire back end !! I can't imagine the peace of mind from doing all of that.

unfortunately i did not achieve my goal of at least quieting down the "clunk" a little bit and although i did learn a TON about my car after doing all this, all i can say with 100% certainty is that nothing will fall off its rear every time i do a hard shift :facepalm: