E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Role of this plug (FM amplifier) (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=948803)

Fooljam 10-05-2012 06:57 AM

Role of this plug (FM amplifier)

Hi,

Could anyone tell me the role of this orange plug in the middle from the FM/AM amplifier and where it is supposed to plug into.

Thanks

http://www.bigpatsfans.com/antenna/old-connector.jpg

jgold47 10-05-2012 09:07 AM

that solid white wire I believe is the turn on wire for the antenna.

zbi701 10-05-2012 09:20 AM

Spot on jgold. When you turn on the Radio it power up the FM/AM amp.

jgold47 10-05-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zbi701 (Post 14790036)

Gold star for me!

Fooljam 10-05-2012 10:02 AM

Cheers guys, much appreciated.
It is missing on this car and the radio reception is poor, which would explain.
Does it take any 12V source?

jgold47 10-05-2012 11:10 AM

do you have the factory amp? otherwise, you could feed it any 12v SWITCHED source.

scottjoh 10-05-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fooljam (Post 14789898)
Could anyone tell me the role of this orange plug in the middle from the FM/AM amplifier and where it is supposed to plug into.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zbi701 (Post 14790036)

The single white wire with brown connector supplies power for the AM/FM portion of the FZV antenna amplifier.

That black wire with the silver connector that is dangling in the image you posted is NOT power as noted on the picture. There is no way in the world an automotive engineer would put power DC power on a piece of what looks like RG-174 coax with an SMB connector. That cable/connector can handle RF up to 3-4GHz. That cable is for diversity and not for power.

I have descriptions of all the wires here if you're interested on my web page www.bmwgm5.com/fzv_antenna_amp.htm

jdstrickland 10-05-2012 12:26 PM

I'm confused.

You point to a wire that appears to be plugged in and ask, "what's it for?" and describe a symptom that is caused by the wire that's not plugged in yet has a note pointing to it, "you do not need this."

The antenna wire is the one that's not connected, at least on my E36 the antenna connection on the back of the radio looks _exactly_ like the one on the wire that's hanging.

I'm not sure how you want the antenna signal to get from the antenna to the radio without all of the wires plugged in. You need power to the antenna amplifier, and you need the antenna to go into the amplifier on one side and come out again on the other and continue to the back of the radio.

Fooljam 10-05-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdstrickland (Post 14790473)
I'm confused.

You point to a wire that appears to be plugged in and ask, "what's it for?" and describe a symptom that is caused by the wire that's not plugged in yet has a note pointing to it, "you do not need this."

The antenna wire is the one that's not connected, at least on my E36 the antenna connection on the back of the radio looks _exactly_ like the one on the wire that's hanging.

I'm not sure how you want the antenna signal to get from the antenna to the radio without all of the wires plugged in. You need power to the antenna amplifier, and you need the antenna to go into the amplifier on one side and come out again on the other and continue to the back of the radio.

This picture is just a picture found on the internet...it is not present on the customers car, hence my question, I knew about all the others but not that one.
You can stop getting confused now :thumbup:

Again guys, thanks for your help